• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

John Phillips

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Phillips is set up to have a pretty good game against the Bengals. The guy blocks well, runs good routes - positions his body well and has shown sure hands. Siemian and Phillips have the reps together and Phillips was a prime target for Siemian in the pre-season. Plus - the Bengals probably won't spend much time practicing to defend him. He is a good receiver - too - for the type of passes the Broncos are letting Siemian throw.

My outrageous opinion is that Phillips will become an important member of the offense by season end.

Heuerman?.......Heuerman?...... Heuerman? Are you there?

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm willing to bet that Heuerman will have a bigger impact receiving wise in this game than Phillips. Unfortunately for him because he is such a good blocker my guess is they will leave him in to help with the OL since Sambrailo will be getting his first start at RT and of course to help the run game. He will get the Virgil Green treatment where Heuerman because he has that size and speed to run those seam routes will be the guy to catch a couple of passes in this one.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm willing to bet that Heuerman will have a bigger impact receiving wise in this game than Phillips. Unfortunately for him because he is such a good blocker my guess is they will leave him in to help with the OL since Sambrailo will be getting his first start at RT and of course to help the run game. He will get the Virgil Green treatment where Heuerman because he has that size and speed to run those seam routes will be the guy to catch a couple of passes in this one.

Heuerman and Siemian haven't practiced together enough to have a rhythm - he will get some chances - I think Phillips will be the target. Those two - as I have observed - have a rhythm.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heuerman and Siemian haven't practiced together enough to have a rhythm - he will get some chances - I think Phillips will be the target. Those two - as I have observed - have a rhythm.

I guess my question would be then have Phillips and Siemian really had much more time to build that chemistry? Phillips missed most of training camp with an injury. Heck they signed him and he got injured the very next day at practice and was out for quite some time. So while yes Phillips has had a bit more time with Siemian I wouldn't think it would be so much more that it makes that big of a difference.

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Phillips is set up to have a pretty good game against the Bengals. The guy blocks well, runs good routes - positions his body well and has shown sure hands. Siemian and Phillips have the reps together and Phillips was a prime target for Siemian in the pre-season. Plus - the Bengals probably won't spend much time practicing to defend him. He is a good receiver - too - for the type of passes the Broncos are letting Siemian throw.

My outrageous opinion is that Phillips will become an important member of the offense by season end.

Heuerman?.......Heuerman?...... Heuerman? Are you there?
I think cincy runs a cover two so the holes in that defense are behind the Lbers in front of the safeties 15 yard down the field in the seams . Don't see Phillips as that kind of player
Denver will miss Virgil today

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think cincy runs a cover two so the holes in that defense are behind the Lbers in front of the safeties 15 yard down the field in the seams . Don't see Phillips as that kind of player
Denver will miss Virgil today

Agree with this quite a bit. Phillips just doesn't have the speed to take advantage of that zone and just isn't the natural receiver that you would want running those routes. That is why I think if any TE is running those today it is Heuerman. Yes he and Siemian do not have the chemistry but those are the type of routes that Heuerman can be good at. Doesn't mean he will have a big day just that he would be the one I would pick.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Phillips is a stop gap. I don't really see a big game in him at this stage of his career, but we just need him to maintain and be decent.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Phillips - 4 targets - two catches - game winning TD

Heuerman - 1 target - 1 catch.

I'm not claiming it was a big game by Phillips, but he was the primary TE target

SpiritOf77

Lucas707
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Phillips was an impact guy today

Mingo gets a Game Ball

58crash

must own
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still very much tickled for Heuerman glad to see him show up !!!

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still very much tickled for Heuerman glad to see him show up !!!

I was glad to see him be a part of the game plan. Still has a long ways to go to show he is worthy of having been a 3rd round pick for us but he did show some decent speed on his one reception to get some separation from the safety.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Phillips was really quiet yesterday. Was waiting for him all game to make a play. There were times when you could see defenders down field letting him basically go by as he was stumbling in and out of routes. He was wide open one time then stumbled down the middle of the field. Something you probably couldn't see on TV.

Then he had the clutch TD and all was good.

He looked very slow though trying to get open most of the day to me.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Phillips was really quiet yesterday. Was waiting for him all game to make a play. There were times when you could see defenders down field letting him basically go by as he was stumbling in and out of routes. He was wide open one time then stumbled down the middle of the field. Something you probably couldn't see on TV.

Then he had the clutch TD and all was good.

He looked very slow though trying to get open most of the day to me.

He was brought in more as a blocking TE than a receiving TE. Honestly this team is in a bit of trouble if Green goes down for any extended time and Heuerman cannot develop. I think Phillips is a good guy to have on the team as you need a guy like him but he should not be our starter. Good thing looks like Green is coming back.

Also I know that sounds negative but I love what Phillips brings to this team with being a veteran presence and a huge help in those 2-TE running formations.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right. I didn't mean I expected Phillips to be much of a receiver. I agree he is a good depth guy to have as a blocker but in our situation where our #1 goes down we might be needing more then he can give. Hopefully Heuerman stays healthy and gets more and more PT.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right. I didn't mean I expected Phillips to be much of a receiver. I agree he is a good depth guy to have as a blocker but in our situation where our #1 goes down we might be needing more then he can give. Hopefully Heuerman stays healthy and gets more and more PT.

I'm going to have to go back and watch the coaches tape on this one to see when Heuerman was in and how he was looking running down the field. His one catch I was impressed with his speed so I think he can become a nice receiving option if he can finally stay healthy and start getting some practice time with the offense.