• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

JJM wants a lively board so here it goes...

24seven

Biggest Cock Around Here
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last edited by a moderator:

Driaz

People are crazy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm probably gonna piss off some good people here, but here goes....

I watched the youtube and Ron Brown simply stated his opinion, didn't say anything against others that don't share his opinion.....

I honestly can't fathom the rationale that equates slavery or womens' sufferage issues to this new push for gay "rights." I honestly think it cheapens all the good that was fought for in those two movements. I'm sorry if some of you liberals feel slighted that you weren't alive to fight for something of consequence at the time and now you think this is the same thing.

What gay person can't vote?
What gay person can't drink from a water foutain?
What gay person is told to sit in the back of the bus?

The fact is the government regulates marriage licenses for age of consent, currently male/female, plurality of spouses, and they not be of direct blood line.

How dare the government deny folks the right to marry just because they want to......

You want to advocate changing a governmental standard about marriage to include gays because you missed out on your hippy years to allow gays to marry, fine, but spare me the they are just as equally badly treated as the American-Africans and the women....

Tomhusker

The Original Husker+ Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 271.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know many, many African Americans. I don't believe any of them would consider themselves "badly treated." Lots of women too, but nobody listens to women anyway....

Brasky

Till We Can't Be Beat. WON'T. BE. BEAT.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm probably gonna piss off some good people here, but here goes....

I watched the youtube and Ron Brown simply stated his opinion, didn't say anything against others that don't share his opinion.....

I honestly can't fathom the rationale that equates slavery or womens' sufferage issues to this new push for gay "rights." I honestly think it cheapens all the good that was fought for in those two movements. I'm sorry if some of you liberals feel slighted that you weren't alive to fight for something of consequence at the time and now you think this is the same thing.

What gay person can't vote?
What gay person can't drink from a water foutain?
What gay person is told to sit in the back of the bus?

The fact is the government regulates marriage licenses for age of consent, currently male/female, plurality of spouses, and they not be of direct blood line.

How dare the government deny folks the right to marry just because they want to......

You want to advocate changing a governmental standard about marriage to include gays because you missed out on your hippy years to allow gays to marry, fine, but spare me the they are just as equally badly treated as the American-Africans and the women....

06402767-wtf.gif

No one here is trying to make that stretch. Liberal media outlets don't even try to make that stretch.

That sounds like an assumption Rush Limbaugh would make.

Driaz

People are crazy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
06402767-wtf.gif

No one here is trying to make that stretch. Liberal media outlets don't even try to make that stretch.

That sounds like an assumption Rush Limbaugh would make.

Reading comprehension much???

"Thx Jed and you said it well. Just the other night I was telling my wife that it blows my mind that a man who 50 years ago would of been delegated to the back of the bus and the kitchen of a restaurant is now telling a city council that they should allow others to do this same thing to another human being."

I didn't assume anything, I simply read it from the discourse of this thread discussion. I'm sorry that your opinion apparently clouds your perception of how this issue is presented here and in the media, but the supposed parallels are brought up routinely.

You'd probably be surprised to know that if put forth in a genuine way, I personally don't see much wrong with changing the law for the government to recognize a homosexual relationship. I do have a huge problem with the media and some folks opinions expressed on this very thread that the issue is of great social consequence equivalent to civil rights struggles.

You're not going to change the minds of folks overnight, especially folks that are God fearing conservatives in the midwest and the south. Work at changing the laws in more liberal states and eventually the more conservative states will likely come along. Treating this as a civil rights thing and forcing the courts to intervene because you don't have the votes to change the laws is going to be a fucking disaster. Then the Limbaugh alarmists will be correct in their opinions that the government will have to allow marriage to polygamists if the courts rule the government doesn't have any authority to regulate the licensing of marriage making it a civil right rather then a government privilege.

Brasky

Till We Can't Be Beat. WON'T. BE. BEAT.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry I didn't see where someone said that. There were some pretty long winded responses in this thread. A lot of TLDR for me. If you were responding to a specific person's post maybe quote them next time? :yo:

Equating gay rights to civil rights for black people is a stretch. Making a comparison isn't.

Part of it comes down to whether you believe they were born homosexuals or if it's a choice they have made.

Driaz

People are crazy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry I didn't see where someone said that. There were some pretty long winded responses in this thread. A lot of TLDR for me. If you were responding to a specific person's post maybe quote them next time? :yo:

Equating gay rights to civil rights for black people is a stretch. Making a comparison isn't.

Part of it comes down to whether you believe they were born homosexuals or if it's a choice they have made.

What's with nobody reading anything that is more then two sentences long???

How's anybody supposed to learn anything if you don't listen to what they're saying or take two minutes to read a post?

Oh right, we already have our opinions set, so no need to listen to anyone elses.....;) ....well, unless we already agree with them, then we'll ponder others opinions....:D

I didn't intentionally quote any person because my rant was general and I didn't think I wanted to single out any individual. Then you come and assume I'm just pulling shit out of my ass to gripe about. Ok, enough about that, back to actual discussion.

Your last sentence is the key point of disagreement on the topic about whether they are born gay or choose to be so. I do understand both sides and why it can be contentious. For me, I have no idea one way or the other. I know people can be born male with an abnormal amount of female hormones and vice versa but they are not necessarily pre-dispositioned to be gay. Some are gay, but most aren't that are born that way. Also, there are plenty of men and women born with normal levels of the proper gender hormones that are gay.

For me, since I have no way of proving either side of the argument of born vs choice, I try to form my opinions on the issue looking at both sides. For say something like gay marriage I tend to support changing the law to include it by the government justice of the peace and whatnot. I oppose the radicals that want to then try and attack the church to force them to marry them.

So my thinking is if they are born that way, God made them that way for a purpose. If it is something they choose, God also made them to have free will to choose a sin full lifestyle. We are a government that allows freedom of religion and choice not to follow any religious teachings, so from the governments standpoint only, I don't see why if society believes we should allow gays to have their relationships recognized with benefits from the government, so be it.

Now that there are only two of you left reading this, I also look at both sides of the born vs. choice debate in deciding that I am adamantly opposed to openly serving gays in the military, but that's an entirely different debate. ;)

huskers1217

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I gotz feelings on this subject but don't have time to write them. I will post them hopefully tomorrow.

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still don't give a shit..........that is my view on it.

People have different beliefs........he's just speaking out on what his beliefs are.......if a gay person is seriously hurt by the things that Ron Brown said, then he/she is a coward.

The things that other people believe or think should mean jack shit to you.........as long as you believe you are doing the right thing, that is all that matters.

There are several atheists out there who speak out daily about how I, JJM, am a big fucking idiot.........because I'm wasting my time believing in something that doesn't exist.

It is my responsibility to ignore anyone who says I'm doing the wrong thing, if I do indeed believe I'm doing the right thing. Grow a sack. End of story.

HuskerInSecLand

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Driaz I will approach this as if you misunderstood me. I did not mean to appear as if I was saying gays are required to drink from a different fountain or ride in the back of the bus. These were discrimination's directed at blacks in a different time. My point though this ordinance is directed at stopping similar discrimination. And I do know gays who have been refused service because they are gay.
I can almost except the argument that their religion prevents them from serving them until you consider these same people will serve people who lie, get drunk, have sex outside of marriage and even have different faiths. So it is not a matter of it being sin. It is a matter of one class of people being discriminated against.

So instead of reading my entire posts that formulate my position you take the one most extreme comment out of everything I posted, disregard everything else and consider me a throwback hippy. Yeah I was a kid in those days and missed out on the civil rights movement but my earliest political views were that of a fundamentalist christian. Sorry no psychosis here because I am not complete without my hippy experience.

Instead of looking for that one post you can use to argue your position why not just post your opinion without the attack. Then people can read the entirety or your posts and the entirety of my posts and agree or disagree. I think we can disagree and still respect each other for having a we thought out position.

You have posted things I can agree with and things I definitely do not agree with but I would never take one post of yours, isolate it and accuse you of being some backwoods hick in overalls and a chain you use to drag fags behind your pick up truck. Please don't take one comment of mine and accuse me of being a throwback hippy who needs something to protest.

jedburks

The Bad Guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
“To be fired for my faith would be a greater honor than to be fired because we didn’t win enough games."

What a hypocrite. I applaud anyone and everyone that stands up for their beliefs and voices their opinions even if they disagree with my beliefs or opinions. But to stand up against something with such ferver like Brown did in Omaha and to not stand up against the same thing in his own backyard is hypocritical. Especially after saying the above quote. I am not saying Brown is a bad guy because that would obviously be dumb but he is a hypocrite for deciding to not go to the meeting today in Lincoln.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
HISL makes a good point if I'm reading him properly.

The Catholic church harbors, protects and hides child molestors zt the highest positions of authority. Straight people who follow that particular faith lie, get drunk, have sex outside of marriage, get divorced, steal, you name it. They know that if they go to confession they will be given a handful of hail mary's, count rosary beads and all will be forgiven. They're receiving holy communion in church the following Sunday along with those who live pure per the scripture. There is no one severity over another in regards to sin. The holy father views sin as sin. The Catholic church is therefore discriminating against a homosexual sinner by refusing them confession, tne ability to be forgiven, and to receive the body of christ, yet continuing to give holy communion to other sinners.
I'm not here to make a case for or against homosexuality or transgenders because it would just be RA's opinion. Nor am I trying to tell the Catholic church how to run their organization. I will say that if they are allowed to be exclusive in membership and judgemental as to what is and isn't forgivable within said organizatin, they should lose their tax exempt status.

huskers1217

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A couple of things at play here, Jed

1) This is debatable or not whether its even an issue because the thought is now that cities can't have laws on this and the only way for this to become a law and/or bill is for it to be a statewide thing

2) He isn't hypocriticial because he isn't changing his stance on it.

I am fairly sure when the State debates it, he will say his peace.

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i am not for this amendment by any means, but some of these people talking are batshit insane.

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
there is a representative speaking now for FreedMen...ron brown's organization. i guess he is not staying completely silent on the issue.