• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Jimmy Graham?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Calyton said that Unger might havve been cut if he wasn't traded? DDid anyone else hear that? Seems kinda far fetched to me.

Anyone else worried about our offensive line next year or am I all alone on polarvortex island.

Itsmytime

I love Beer.
Hoopla Cash
$ 6.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Calyton said that Unger might havve been cut if he wasn't traded? DDid anyone else hear that? Seems kinda far fetched to me.

Anyone else worried about our offensive line next year or am I all alone on polarvortex island.

Actually that wasn't the first time I had heard that. The main thinking behind that is the run game didn't really suffer when he was out.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Unger was one of the highest paid centers in the league. He was top 5 I believe. The 4 above him (Pouncey, Kalil, Mack, and Mangold are substantially above him but they stay healthy and are just a better talent period).

Too expensive for a guy who misses WAY too many games and Seattle actually showed they have some decent depth at the center position last year. So many of Wilson's sacks were teams just stacking the box and blitzing the hades out of Wilson or him running around in the backfield for 7-8 seconds because nobody could get open. ZERO receivers on our team create matchup problems and Percy Harvin is meh... he creates problems in a unique way, but not traditional receiving. Graham actually creates matchup problems. Few OLBs/CBs can cover him 1/1 (Wright is shaped weirdly and Kam is a freak).

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only way I buy that we would have released Unger short of a trade is if his medical condition appeared to be prohibitive going forward. And if that's the case, we probably need to be worried about him passing a physical with NO.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not at all. Okung and Unger missed 23 games combined the last 2 tears.
Think about that and how it affects continuity.
The combined expenses for these 2 is roughly $15 million. That is not too far from what RW is rumored to get when he signs his next deal.
One down, 1 to go. Okung next but might not be for this year.
I would take 5 guys like Lewis, Sweezy, and Britt who play all year and who build reliance, trust, and continuity every game for about $10M total as opposed to having a couple of thoroughbreds who are oft injured and ultra expensive for roughly $21M total.
Business is business and look at how much we gained offensively for a net expense of about $3M per year from this trade.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not at all. Okung and Unger missed 23 games combined the last 2 tears.
Think about that and how it affects continuity.
The combined expenses for these 2 is roughly $15 million. That is not too far from what RW is rumored to get when he signs his next deal.
One down, 1 to go. Okung next but might not be for this year.
I would take 5 guys like Lewis, Sweezy, and Britt who play all year and who build reliance, trust, and continuity every game for about $10M total as opposed to having a couple of thoroughbreds who are oft injured and ultra expensive for roughly $21M total.
Business is business and look at how much we gained offensively for a net expense of about $3M per year from this trade.
Oh I see the advantage in how it improves our receiving corps. Best receiver we've had since...well...maybe since the early days of Darrin Jackson and maybe even as far back as Galloway. But he can only be effective if Wilson has time to find him and throw to him. I'm no where near as confident with the current OLine as some of you. And it isn't just Max that we lost. We are also taking on a TE that clearly ineffective at blocking.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh I see the advantage in how it improves our receiving corps. Best receiver we've had since...well...maybe since the early days of Darrin Jackson and maybe even as far back as Galloway. But he can only be effective if Wilson has time to find him and throw to him. I'm no where near as confident with the current OLine as some of you. And it isn't just Max that we lost. We are also taking on a TE that clearly ineffective at blocking.

Well part of the problem is that defenses stack the box and basically dare us to hit a quick slant because they don't think Wilson can throw that route. Brees is just a hair taller than Wilson and he had no problem with that route throwing to Graham. He's the biggest target in the league so if they do send a bunch of guys at us we can audible to Graham who can catch the safety valve route and turn it into big yards. And that's just one aspect of what Graham brings to the table. He's exactly what Wilson needs.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure why folks continue to talk about how Graham is a TE who can't block. That's not why he's here, and it's not going to be how he's used. He'll line up like a WR, and he can block well enough from that position. We have other more traditional TEs who can block more like traditional TEs. But you really need to look at who we have at that position right now: Graham, Luke W, McCoy, and Cooper H. It's clear that our offensive philosophy isn't really about a traditional inline TE.

Tech_God

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure why folks continue to talk about how Graham is a TE who can't block. That's not why he's here, and it's not going to be how he's used. He'll line up like a WR, and he can block well enough from that position. We have other more traditional TEs who can block more like traditional TEs. But you really need to look at who we have at that position right now: Graham, Luke W, McCoy, and Cooper H. It's clear that our offensive philosophy isn't really about a traditional inline TE.

:agree:

Look at the stats in the article....

Jimmy Graham: Tight end or receiver? - New Orleans Saints Blog - ESPN

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree, Graham is going to used as a receiving option, he's not going to be asked to block much. Shoot Pete knows he not a blocker like Miller and they made the trade anyways, so that's all you need to know. Looking forward to the offense this year, it's going to change at least a little, maybe more then a little. Got to love being a Seahawks fan right now, this is the golden era

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Instead of labeling Graham as a weak blocking TE, why not look at him as a 6'7"WR that has proven to be highly effective as a pass catcher in the NFL. The only reason we can't look ay JC as a WR is because he is too big to be a WR.
Enlist a paradigm shift into him being a 6'7" WR and you will love him.
Besides, it has been since Brian Blades (1989?) since we have had a WR or TE make the pro bowl.
Pretty weak in the sauce.
We can draft a run blocker TE later in the draft if needed.

Last edited:

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a great move

1. I love Unger but he's been off the field a lot, and the play out of the tattered line improved as the year went along
2. Graham has played with a QB with the same limitations as Wilson and has done well.
3. Picking a guy like him up is an indication that they're going to start leaning on Wilson more and the running game less. Everyone talks about how this is a rushing team, but even though we ended up losing he was able to put together a 30 second drive to go into halftime tied up. And that was throwing balls that had a window the size of a football to make the completion.

All I've been saying for a while is that we should take the handcuffs off of Wilson and let him do his magic. I'm sick and tired of the slow paced football that keeps games tight with Wilson having to pull the rabbit out of his hat on 4th quarter drives to get the win. Why not blow out teams? GB doesn't have a defense to brag about but that approach seems to work pretty well for them. This is the NFL and you have to take the points when they're there for the taking.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a great move

1. I love Unger but he's been off the field a lot, and the play out of the tattered line improved as the year went along
2. Graham has played with a QB with the same limitations as Wilson and has done well.
3. Picking a guy like him up is an indication that they're going to start leaning on Wilson more and the running game less. Everyone talks about how this is a rushing team, but even though we ended up losing he was able to put together a 30 second drive to go into halftime tied up. And that was throwing balls that had a window the size of a football to make the completion.

All I've been saying for a while is that we should take the handcuffs off of Wilson and let him do his magic. I'm sick and tired of the slow paced football that keeps games tight with Wilson having to pull the rabbit out of his hat on 4th quarter drives to get the win. Why not blow out teams? GB doesn't have a defense to brag about but that approach seems to work pretty well for them. This is the NFL and you have to take the points when they're there for the taking.
I find with a running offense, but loosening things up for Wilson makes sense to me. It has to happen at some point, I think the Seahawks have arrived at that point.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I find with a running offense, but loosening things up for Wilson makes sense to me. It has to happen at some point, I think the Seahawks have arrived at that point.

You can't really talk about our "running offense". We were lucky enough to get the #2 RB of his generation for nothing and he has a unique skill set that the Seahawks will probably never see again. It's time to start moving forward and hoping that Wilson can be the guy that I think he can be.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can't really talk about our "running offense". We were lucky enough to get the #2 RB of his generation for nothing and he has a unique skill set that the Seahawks will probably never see again. It's time to start moving forward and hoping that Wilson can be the guy that I think he can be.

BREAKING NEWS: Murray headed to Seattle

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which is why I said it has to happen at some point.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, people need to think about Graham as more of a slot receiver than a TE. Where Seattle ran a lot of 11 personnel last year (1 RB/1 TE) this year it will be 12 if you still want to call him a TE. He won't be in there in place of Willson or McCoy (or someone else), but rather at the same time. If you were getting snaps at the slot last year you just got fucked out of a job.

Sure, they will still line up in 2 TE tight looks or even at times have just him out there with no other TE's, but their bread and butter will be him wide of the line primarily going into routes.

Status
Not open for further replies.