• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Jim Weaver to step down as Virginia Tech Athletic Director

HoHumHokie

Stick It In
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last edited by a moderator:

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes.

He says he cannot travel with the teams, and therefore cannot do his job. He is getting both hips replaced as well.

ACC_HOKIES

4 ACC Championships
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I had heard that Mr. Weaver barely functions at times, and the camera and press appearances are staged to help him through. Love him or not, Mr. Weaver has done a lot of positives for our programs, and has been a positive ambassador. I truly hope lifting the stress of work will improve his well being.

With that said, his successor will have HUGE decisions to make that will shape nearly everything about Virginia Tech sports.

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wish him the best, and I hope to god the next AD gets the student seating section right for basketball...let the students line the court, rather than empty seats lining the court!

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Weaver news deserves its own thread, right? It's kind of a big deal.

Let me first say I really wish him the best health wise. I hope in his retirement he can find a balance with his health and he can live out his life comfortably and enjoy it. My grandmother had Parkinson's and she got really bad with it in the last couple of years of her life. It's very draining on everyone involved.

Now just speaking about his AD service, I'm glad to see him go. It was time. I don't know if his health affected his decision making (I'm sure it did to some degree) but I didn't like several of his decisions over the last few years with regards to the direction of VT Athletics. When you look at it over the long haul though, he did his job well. We've got great facilities in nearly every sport and he left the program in a far better state than we he took over. That's pretty good. Let's just hope the new AD can build upon what's there now.