• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Jerry Jones: No Link To CTE

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
More evidence Jerry Jones is a complete LUNATIC

espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/15047068/jerry-jones-says-not-convinced-link-cte-football

A week after a top NFL official acknowledged for the first time a link between CTE and football, Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said he is not convinced that the data shows there is a connection.

Jeff Miller, the NFL's senior vice president for health and safety, was asked March 14 by Rep. Jan Schakowsky, D-Ill., if the link between football and neurodegenerative diseases such as chronic traumatic encephalopathy has been established.

"The answer to that question is certainly yes," said Miller, who was attending a roundtable discussion of concussions in Washington.

Jones, speaking at the NFL owners meetings Tuesday in Boca Raton, Florida, said that while he is very supportive of efforts to make the sport safer, he wanted to caution against drawing conclusions from the data now available.

"We don't have that knowledge and background, and scientifically, so there's no way in the world to say you have a relationship relative to anything here," Jones said, according to the Washington Post. "There's no research. There's no data. ... We're not disagreeing. We're just basically saying the same thing. We're doing a lot more. It's the kind of thing that you want to work ... to prevent injury."

Pushed on whether he believes there is a link between CTE and playing football, Jones responded, "No, that's absurd. There's no data that in any way creates a knowledge. There's no way that you could have made a comment that there is an association and some type of assertion. In most things, you have to back it up by studies. And in this particular case, we all know how medicine is. Medicine is evolving. I grew up being told that aspirin was not good. I'm told that one a day is good for you. ... I'm saying that changed over the years as we've had more research and knowledge.

"So we are very supportive of the research. ... We have for years been involved in trying to make it safer, safer as it pertains to head injury. We have millions of people that have played this game, have millions of people that are at various ages right now that have no issues at all. None at all. So that's where we are. That didn't alter at all what we're doing about it. We're gonna do everything we can to understand it better and make it safer."

Last edited:

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Jones needs his head checked

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/15047068/jerry-jones-says-not-convinced-link-cte-football

A week after a top NFL official acknowledged for the first time a link between CTE and football, Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said he is not convinced that the data shows there is a connection.

Jeff Miller, the NFL's senior vice president for health and safety, was asked March 14 by Rep. Jan Schakowsky, D-Ill., if the link between football and neurodegenerative diseases such as chronic traumatic encephalopathy has been established.

"The answer to that question is certainly yes," said Miller, who was attending a roundtable discussion of concussions in Washington.

Jones, speaking at the NFL owners meetings Tuesday in Boca Raton, Florida, said that while he is very supportive of efforts to make the sport safer, he wanted to caution against drawing conclusions from the data now available.

"We don't have that knowledge and background, and scientifically, so there's no way in the world to say you have a relationship relative to anything here," Jones said, according to the Washington Post. "There's no research. There's no data. ... We're not disagreeing. We're just basically saying the same thing. We're doing a lot more. It's the kind of thing that you want to work ... to prevent injury."

Pushed on whether he believes there is a link between CTE and playing football, Jones responded, "No, that's absurd. There's no data that in any way creates a knowledge. There's no way that you could have made a comment that there is an association and some type of assertion. In most things, you have to back it up by studies. And in this particular case, we all know how medicine is. Medicine is evolving. I grew up being told that aspirin was not good. I'm told that one a day is good for you. ... I'm saying that changed over the years as we've had more research and knowledge.

"So we are very supportive of the research. ... We have for years been involved in trying to make it safer, safer as it pertains to head injury. We have millions of people that have played this game, have millions of people that are at various ages right now that have no issues at all. None at all. So that's where we are. That didn't alter at all what we're doing about it. We're gonna do everything we can to understand it better and make it safer."

So all NFL owners are on record as saying there is a connection?

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's all about the potential cabbage he and the NFL stand to lose. I'd say the same thing considering he financed a billion dollar stadium.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's all about the potential cabbage he and the NFL stand to lose. I'd say the same thing considering he financed a billion dollar stadium.

I'm sure it is a little bit of that but the NFL is more or less free and clear of that. They already settled for $1B with past players and it has a program that is for the modern players as well. Obviously the players could take it to the courts again but they would have to prove new info or that the NFL settled in bad faith knowing more about a link than they claimed initially. But at this point, playing football isn't much different than smoking. Everyone knows the potential risks and it is up to the individual if they want to take the long term health risks of doing so.

What Jerry is saying is technically true. There is no proven link between the NFL and concussions. There does have to be more research done on the subject to prove it. And quite frankly it will be a long time before they understand this completely simply because medical science when it comes to the brain isn't that much past the era of leeches and bloodletting.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is no clear causal link.

But the frequency of CTE among football players is VASTLY higher than the general population. That may not be definitively causal but it sure points us in a certain direction.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:badmin:

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
but in no way is is "absurd" like Jones states

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

don't worry, it's only 2:25PM. Jones will backtrack a little before the cock crows 3 times...

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
don't worry, it's only 2:25PM. Jones will backtrack a little before the cock crows 3 times...

Will he have a female hooker draped around his waist as well?

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Will he have a female hooker draped around his waist as well?
I think at this point even the hookers don't want to touch his old balls...

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And they will lose it.

But if they deny and deny and then lose down the road, they lose more.

Come clean like Big Tobacco. Save some downstream $$.

cowboys5xsbs

Surprise Motherfucker
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jerry jones is a league shill and he was probabaly drunk on Johnny Walker Blue

TheStarOne

Militem Octoginta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jerry fired a head coach who had just won two consecutive Super Bowls.
I wonder how many concussions Jerrah has had?

Golden Spur

Bayesian
Hoopla Cash
$ 706.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure Jerry Jones personal attorney agrees with his statement.

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well there is no definitive or clear casual link.

I have to think the NFL owners might not be happy with Jeff Miller's statement. While JJ likes to shoot his mouth off, I have a feeling that he did so in this instance with the backing of other owners.

35cedcb32383e589514eb9861da61a0229813d53042bc133851cc4c28e9f82e0.jpg