• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Jerk Chicken

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just wondering. I just barbecued some jerk chicken. I have a Jamaican friend got me hooked. It has been a long time since I lived in New England. I was wondering, since my mom has passed and was a bland food fan, What do you NE fans think about food "outside the box" in NE homes?
What is outside family tradition that you enjoy?

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When I was 11 years old, a woman (Mary Quatrano) taught me how to make pasta sauce. I made it so well, that a Portland, ME restaurant hired me at 16 to make their sauce with one slight change........no crushed red pepper. I still make the sauce exactly the same way today and people always ask for the recipe. It takes at least an hour to start and no less than 18 hours to turn from tomato sauce to pasta sauce.

My father was English and Penobscot Indian and my mother was French Canadian. Spaghetti sauce was out of the box for my family.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I moved from Boston to California at 10. I fell in love with Mexican food. What I remember from Boston was the NE boiled dinner. I hated it as a kid. We had lobster 3-4 nights a week. My dad was a commercial fisherman so we ate a lot of lobster and bait and "New England Boiled Dinner" Oh, we also ate finnan haddy

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, you said out of the box...Can't buy anything in Tennessee that doesn't taste like a 3 week old fish tank.
So we have fresh live flown in twice a year. In a box. I prefer it from off the Cape. Water is deeper and colder.

For local cuisine I like the BBQ. Growing up BBQ was a verb, here it's a noun.
Pulled pork smoked about 12 hours. Mmm...mmm

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And Brats. Never had them growing up. Now they are a summer staple.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Grilled burgers tonight. 2 lbs beef, 3 tbsp. butter, 3 tbsp. maple syrup, 6 slices bacon - cooked and diced, some "seasonings". Topped with Cabot cheddar.
Charcoal, not gas. Only thing missing was sweet northern corn on the cob.

Dammit Southie, now I'm hungry again.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, you said out of the box...Can't buy anything in Tennessee that doesn't taste like a 3 week old fish tank.
So we have fresh live flown in twice a year. In a box. I prefer it from off the Cape. Water is deeper and colder.

For local cuisine I like the BBQ. Growing up BBQ was a verb, here it's a noun.
Pulled pork smoked about 12 hours. Mmm...mmm
I learned to do Barbecue in North Carolina. If it's pork, it's better there. What I learned in California?
You can cook everything on the barbecue but don't eat the barbecue!!!!!

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I learned to do Barbecue in North Carolina. If it's pork, it's better there. What I learned in California?
You can cook everything on the barbecue but don't eat the barbecue!!!!!

Did Carolina BBQ when I was in Hampton Rds we went south alot, prefer Tennessee.
Sauce at least. Thicker and sweeter or hotter. Not much into the vinegar sauce they do in North Carolina.