• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Jeff Lurie: I wanted to take back the team

L.Freamon

Formerly FWFW
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
D.Gunn:
[Chip] lost them. And I hate to use the term ‘the coaches lost the players’ because at this level, when you’re paid a lot of money to play the game, it can’t be about a coach motivating you. It’s going to be about you motivating yourself to play this game that most men dream about playing and will never get a chance to play. And when you’ve come from where you’ve come from in a lot of cases, you know, poverty, and didn’t have a lot of things, and made it to the pinnacle of your profession, it’s gotta be about nothing else than the love of the game and trying to sustain that. Because as know, the average life span in this league is three and a half years. So you won’t get this chance again.

So when I see several players saying ‘about time,’ that’s all I needed to know to confirm what I knew for a long time.

Report: Some Eagles players were ready to see Chip Kelly fired
Gunn: Some Eagles said 'it's about time' Chip Kelly fired

northeastphillyguy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chip Kelly has severe personality issues. He is not a teacher of men. He is a control freak, and is not capable of
inspiring his players. Lurie most certainly received advice from reliable sources that recognized Chip was a cancer to the organization. Chip was a one trick pony with a hurry up offense, nothing more. Too bad he will get paid the remaining 13 million dollars from his contract! Looking forward to the future changes coming to the Eagles!

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe Jeff got a bad smoothie?

WIZ

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chip will be fine. No one knows what would have happened next year and many thought he would need another year after overturning the roster. Chip's biggest problem imo is that he got along with nearly no one at the Novacare complex. If he goes to Tennessee and Mariota is all in, the team will follow. We expect greatness, they just want a winning team.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We haven't ever seen greatness. Fifty years and counting since the last ring.

deerpathdave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Listening to the presser and it seems obvious that Roseman was behind this. Lurie has used the word collaborative many times and I take that to mean that Kelly wasn't doing a good job of working with the other top dogs in the building i.e. Roseman and Donahoe. Kelly needed to do a better job of working with these guys if he wanted to survive a bad year.

Can't say that I was left feeling that this was a step forward. In fact, I suspect that Kelly will be coaching the Titans or the Browns within the next couple of weeks and the Eagles will be hiring some guy like Doug Marrone and essentially starting over.

Also, there really is no reason for Bradford to stick around. He will have a new offensive system if he stays and perhaps if he goes somewhere where Kelly goes he can stick with the same system ala what Fitzpatrick did with the Jets. So the Eagles lost not only a coach (and one with a winning record), but also a QB today.

How quickly or not Kelly is hired for another NFL job will be a good indicator for how Lurie and Kelly are viewed around the league. If Kelly is not hired, we can assume that Kelly is not perceived well around the league and also there is probably more to this story that Lurie is not willing to say. If Kelly is hired quickly, I think we can assume that people view this as a front office power move from Roseman getting rid of a pretty good coach.

Green Head

Formally Cape May Eagle
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well the press conference went about how I thought it would. We got nothing and Lurie lied his ass off.

northeastphillyguy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Listening to the presser and it seems obvious that Roseman was behind this. Lurie has used the word collaborative many times and I take that to mean that Kelly wasn't doing a good job of working with the other top dogs in the building i.e. Roseman and Donahoe. Kelly needed to do a better job of working with these guys if he wanted to survive a bad year.

Can't say that I was left feeling that this was a step forward. In fact, I suspect that Kelly will be coaching the Titans or the Browns within the next couple of weeks and the Eagles will be hiring some guy like Doug Marrone and essentially starting over.

Also, there really is no reason for Bradford to stick around. He will have a new offensive system if he stays and perhaps if he goes somewhere where Kelly goes he can stick with the same system ala what Fitzpatrick did with the Jets. So the Eagles lost not only a coach (and one with a winning record), but also a QB today.

How quickly or not Kelly is hired for another NFL job will be a good indicator for how Lurie and Kelly are viewed around the league. If Kelly is not hired, we can assume that Kelly is not perceived well around the league and also there is probably more to this story that Lurie is not willing to say. If Kelly is hired quickly, I think we can assume that people view this as a front office power move from Roseman getting rid of a pretty good coach.
I don't care if Kelly is Hired quickly or not. I will never defend his persona. The fact that Lurie gave him too much power is a given. This is a step FORWARD as far as the players are concerned. Did you even mention the current and former players? Bradford can stay or go and that is OK. His weak and frail body can be tackled by a pull on his
jersey. He does not avoid a rush with any mobility. In fact I hope they trade or dump Sanchez, he is a loser. Seems you have a bleeding heart for Kelly and so be it. I am glad to be moving on to a better direction.

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't worry too much about Bradford moving on ... yes, he did play better as the year went on, but we're not talking about an un-replaceable talent here. imo we can trade a 3rd or 4th for Tampa's Mike Glennon (whom I really like and is still on his rookie deal for 2016) and get the same type of QB without having to overpay like we would with Bradford.

deerpathdave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't care if Kelly is Hired quickly or not. I will never defend his persona. The fact that Lurie gave him too much power is a given. This is a step FORWARD as far as the players are concerned. Did you even mention the current and former players? Bradford can stay or go and that is OK. His weak and frail body can be tackled by a pull on his
jersey. He does not avoid a rush with any mobility. In fact I hope they trade or dump Sanchez, he is a loser. Seems you have a bleeding heart for Kelly and so be it. I am glad to be moving on to a better direction.

If you hired based on persona, you would never hire Bill Belicheck. It does matter if Kelly gets another job, just as it matters what happened to DJAX, LeSean, Mathis, Cole, Williams, Herremans and Fletcher. Kelly's future will either validate or invalidate the decision Lurie made. I have alot of respect for Lurie and am certain that there are parts of this story he simply will never tell. But people talk, just not always to the media, so other owners and GMs surely know alot more than we do. If they steer clear of Kelly, it validates Lurie's decision.

Screamin Eagle

Stand for the Flag, Kneel for the Cross
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Kelly is hired by another NFL team it will only prove that there is more than 1 idiot in the NFL.

L.Freamon

Formerly FWFW
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From the Presser i heard:

-Lurie REALLY going out of his way to not trash Chip. Way different tone then when he fired Ray Rhoades and Andy Reid. It is 100% clear he did not like Chip.

-Lurie finally admitted Chip DID demand full control and Lurie said "fine, you get 100% control but you better win". Chip didn't win.

-Chip wasn't offered to stay just to coach and not give up personnel. Lurie completely kicked him out.

-Apparently Chip WAS an a-hole to everyone around the facility. Lurie said the next guy "has to communicate better with everyone in the organization", essentially "Don't be a dickhead to everybody in the building (and if you're gonna be a dickhead, you better win a lot)"

-Lurie did lie about Chip not losing the lockerroom and player feedback having nothing to do with his departure.

L.Freamon

Formerly FWFW
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well the press conference went about how I thought it would. We got nothing and Lurie lied his ass off.
OH there was plenty, if you know how to listen. The media figured out quickly to stop asking him direct questions because he wasn't going to answer them. So they started asking him about the next coach and how to be successful. How he answered that tells you what Chip did or didn't do.

L.Freamon

Formerly FWFW
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you hired based on persona, you would never hire Bill Belicheck. It does matter if Kelly gets another job, just as it matters what happened to DJAX, LeSean, Mathis, Cole, Williams, Herremans and Fletcher. Kelly's future will either validate or invalidate the decision Lurie made. I have alot of respect for Lurie and am certain that there are parts of this story he simply will never tell. But people talk, just not always to the media, so other owners and GMs surely know alot more than we do. If they steer clear of Kelly, it validates Lurie's decision.
What if someone hires Kelly and he still sucks? Who does that validate?

Screamin Eagle

Stand for the Flag, Kneel for the Cross
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Add Marcus Smith to the list of happy players, LOL

Eagles' Marcus Smith was 'ecstatic' about Chip Kelly's firing

It won't matter, Smith will be cut before the season starts.

The way Chip was fired screams very loudly that Lurie and the team couldn't stand the guy and the NFL will surely take note. I seriously doubt he gets another HC job anytime soon. He has far too many bad personality traits to survive at this level.

I've owned a business and have managed much of my life and people like Kelly bother the hell out of me.

DutchBird

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It won't matter, Smith will be cut before the season starts.

The way Chip was fired screams very loudly that Lurie and the team couldn't stand the guy and the NFL will surely take note. I seriously doubt he gets another HC job anytime soon. He has far too many bad personality traits to survive at this level.

I've owned a business and have managed much of my life and people like Kelly bother the hell out of me.

I would not cut Smith, or many of the current players on the team... Maybe Cooper (if he does not take a pay-cut).

Let them compete next off-season. I get the feeling the situation between Roseman/Howie was/is so f-ed up that there is no way players got a completely fair chance. Remember also how Brandon Graham was considered cut-worthy until the Kelly regime came in (and then in the 2nd season).