• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Jay Gruden wants to get rid of Robert Griffin III

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sty... problem is, if Gruden gets fired.. .especially because of the QB... what do we do for a coach. Because no one in their right mind would take a gig where TWO coaches have basically been fired for failing to accommodate the QB.
Last I checked Shanahan was 24-40 w/ the Redskins & 3-13 in his last season. Gruden was 4-12 last season. Shanahan was fired because of his record & not simply because he couldn't work well with RG3. If Gruden gets fired it almost definitely will be tied to his record. 8-8 or better should allow him to retain his job. Granted - the record is often tied into inferior talent which is not the coaches fault. However - that is how life works in the NFL (fair or not). Also - in Shanahan's case he was basically the GM so he really can't use that as an excuse.

I think that it is safe to assume that if the Skins won on a consistent basis with Cousins, McCoy or whoever that the coach would not only keep his job he would be highly praised (even by Snyder). This is not all about RG3. Remember Shanahan hired that awful Special Teams coach & made lots of other bad moves (and most of his picks are turning out to be not so great). You appear to have somewhat of a selective memory about the guy. IMO - he got what he deserved and - regardless of what happens moving forward - I am glad that they fired him.

Lonewate44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IF true, it begs the question....

Who remains a Redskin at the end of the year. May 3rd will be very telling. Because if they pick up the 5th year option, Jay is basically stuck with him or SOL.
No way they pick up that 5th year option......No way...his play the last 2 years has not earned hima guarnteed 15 or more mil!!!

Tubbs1518

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,077.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well we know fans opinions mean diddly squat.

New GMSM has a stategy and plan. So far I've been impressed with his acquisitions in FA. Don't know his board, but I do know he's a BPA guy.

And who knows where Danny Boys influence will take over. He's agreed to stand aside, (and seemingly has since MS was here...) even let his boy Rak go this year...

I do think MM is in play, but I tend to agree with you that unless there's some killer trade involved, it isn't going to be DC he comes to.

I just think after giving up how many picks for him, you can't give up on RGIII yet. You build a team around him and give him till his contract is up.

redskinsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dont know where or when this comment came from... Wonder whether Jay feels this way too.

"You know what potential is? It means you haven't done it yet." - Jon Gruden

Potential for coaches are things like winning seasons, division titles, and win streaks. These are things that's Jon's baby bro hasn't done yet, meaning that Jay has got great "potential."

redskinsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just think after giving up how many picks for him, you can't give up on RGIII yet. You build a team around him and give him till his contract is up.

These are some very wise words from an outsider. Before completely agreeing with you, I'll say that the king's ransom we gave up shouldn't be a primary consideration on what we do with RGIII. However, it still does remain one of several considerations nonetheless in deciding his future. For the purists among us, that's just the reality.

If you're one to have really soured on RGIII, please offer who a legit replacement for him would be. Or try to take issue with other outsider pundits who believe he's still got plenty of talent to exploit. Even if he's still learning now, McCloughan can surround him with enough of a supporting cast so can develop his talents on the job. Exhibit A for this proposition is Russell Wilson. For all the hype surrounding him, he's just a very average passing QB. Same with Kap and Alex Smith. Give RGIII better tools to work with and phase him in to becoming a pocket passer and you might just see a return to his 2012 form. And those better tools begin with shoring up the right side of the o-line. (Of course, Gruden apparently thinks the o-line is far better than others think it is. If so, that's just one more reason for him to go.)

redskinsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As sad as this statement is.......I still believe in RGIII. I hold to the fact that he was absolutely correct in not being willing to run an offense that by all accounts would have shortened his career. That said, if he believed that then he should have spent every available moment working on the skills that would change his style of play from what he's done previously into what he wants to be. It is not too late for him to get it turned around, the only question in my mind is......when it happens, will it be here?

I believe in RGIII too. But his refusal to run the 50-series offense was more his fault than anything else. Everyone has to remember that when RGIII ran the read option, the overall effect of that offense was that it actually spared him from getting hit and getting exposed to injury. While RGIII was correct, in general, for wanting to become a pocket passer, he screwed up in two major respects. First, he wanted to make an immediate switch, something he wasn't capable of doing. Even for QBs in pro-style sets in college, it takes time for them to get used to the NFL. For someone like RGIII, who never even played with a playbook in Baylor, it was crazy for him to demand an overnight conversion like he wanted. Second, RGIII's ego got in the way. Somehow, he felt slighted by others thinking that his great rookie year was really the product of him being a running QB. To be sure, that played a part in his success. But somehow he felt shamed by the whole thing and personally demanded that MS install an offense designed for a seasoned pocket passer.

Tubbs1518

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,077.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These are some very wise words from an outsider. Before completely agreeing with you, I'll say that the king's ransom we gave up shouldn't be a primary consideration on what we do with RGIII. However, it still does remain one of several considerations nonetheless in deciding his future. For the purists among us, that's just the reality.

If you're one to have really soured on RGIII, please offer who a legit replacement for him would be. Or try to take issue with other outsider pundits who believe he's still got plenty of talent to exploit. Even if he's still learning now, McCloughan can surround him with enough of a supporting cast so can develop his talents on the job. Exhibit A for this proposition is Russell Wilson. For all the hype surrounding him, he's just a very average passing QB. Same with Kap and Alex Smith. Give RGIII better tools to work with and phase him in to becoming a pocket passer and you might just see a return to his 2012 form. And those better tools begin with shoring up the right side of the o-line. (Of course, Gruden apparently thinks the o-line is far better than others think it is. If so, that's just one more reason for him to go.)

He does have some nice pieces in DJax and Garcon. I think you still need a 3rd WR to go with DJax and Garcon. Reed is a really good receiving TE but is often hurt and Paul is a decent receiving threat. You need a blocking TE to go with him. The biggest thing you need to do is sure up that offensive line. You have to protect him. Schreff at 5 wouldn't be a bad pick. Trading back is probably the best thing you can hope for. If Mariota falls, try to trade with someone wanting to jump the Jets. Scherff and Collins can probably be great OG's even if they don't pan out at OT. That is a good start. I might even go back to back OL if I were you guys. Point is, you need to protect him and get a 3rd receiver. Grab a blocking TE later in the draft or in FA still.

redskinsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem with Griff is he didn't want to play in a system catered to him. Actually he flat out refused and it is well documented. I haven't given up hope on him yet and hope that there is a middle ground to be found. Hopefully this upcoming year.

Completely agree with this. The middle ground point is one which correctly apportions blame to both sides. In some starkly ironic sense, RGIII and Jay are divas that are tragically meant for each other.

redskinsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He does have some nice pieces in DJax and Garcon. I think you still need a 3rd WR to go with DJax and Garcon. Reed is a really good receiving TE but is often hurt and Paul is a decent receiving threat. You need a blocking TE to go with him. The biggest thing you need to do is sure up that offensive line. You have to protect him. Schreff at 5 wouldn't be a bad pick. Trading back is probably the best thing you can hope for. If Mariota falls, try to trade with someone wanting to jump the Jets. Scherff and Collins can probably be great OG's even if they don't pan out at OT. That is a good start. I might even go back to back OL if I were you guys. Point is, you need to protect him and get a 3rd receiver. Grab a blocking TE later in the draft or in FA still.

I agree with almost all of what you're saying. I'll note that if Scherff is really a guard, taking him at #5 would be a stretch. It would be the highest pick used on a guard in the history of the NFL. Still, he fits a HUGE need.

The problem with shoring up the o-line is the fact that Jay somehow thinks it not as bad as others seem to think it is. He blames blocking failures by TEs and RBs in addition to QBs holding the ball too long for this supposed misperception of the o-line's failings. If so, we're going to hang on to players like Chris Chester. Fortunately, however, personnel decisions are being handled by Scott McCloughan. Hopefully, he'll right the ship on this issue.

Tubbs1518

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,077.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with almost all of what you're saying. I'll note that if Scherff is really a guard, taking him at #5 would be a stretch. It would be the highest pick used on a guard in the history of the NFL. Still, he fits a HUGE need.

The problem with shoring up the o-line is the fact that Jay somehow thinks it not as bad as others seem to think it is. He blames blocking failures by TEs and RBs in addition to QBs holding the ball too long for this supposed misperception of the o-line's failings. If so, we're going to hang on to players like Chris Chester. Fortunately, however, personnel decisions are being handled by Scott McCloughan. Hopefully, he'll right the ship on this issue.

I think Scherff can be a RT personally, but he does have OG to fall back on and that is a really nice catch. And as I said you all need a better blocking TE too. Paul and Reed aren't going to block anyone and I can't comment on how well or poor your running backs block. I think they could go RB later too. OL should be the first priority IMO if you want to help RGIII. I get you need defense too, but you have to protect your QB better or you won't win.

redskinsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Scherff can be a RT personally, but he does have OG to fall back on and that is a really nice catch. And as I said you all need a better blocking TE too. Paul and Reed aren't going to block anyone and I can't comment on how well or poor your running backs block. I think they could go RB later too. OL should be the first priority IMO if you want to help RGIII. I get you need defense too, but you have to protect your QB better or you won't win.

Completely agree. Would you like to transfer your fandom to Redskins Nation?

Tubbs1518

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,077.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Completely agree. Would you like to transfer your fandom to Redskins Nation?

Haha, I'm not sure that is much better than being a Bengals fan other than the fact you all have past SB wins.

redskinsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haha, I'm not sure that is much better than being a Bengals fan other than the fact you all have past SB wins.

You've been to some, though. That's more than some can say. I remember Ken Anderson in SB XVI. I thought he'd be able to pull that one out. If it hadn't been for the Niners, you guys might've had a Lombardi or two in your trophy case.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Basically agree. For me this season it is basically make it or "better luck elsewhere" time for RG3 (& perhaps Cousins). If RG3 displays no significant progress (or gets injured again) then it is time for team to cut their losses (which should be alright given the fact that the team appears to be improving regardless - QB is not the end all/be all for any team).

I am not stating that RG3 has to lead the team to the playoffs or be a top 10 QB. I am simply stating that he has to look significantly better than the last few seasons & show signs that he has addressed his weaknesses. This is regardless of the state of this season's coaching, O-line, etc. I have faith that this can occur, but it is all up to RG3.

Tubbs1518

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,077.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You've been to some, though. That's more than some can say. I remember Ken Anderson in SB XVI. I thought he'd be able to pull that one out. If it hadn't been for the Niners, you guys might've had a Lombardi or two in your trophy case.

I hate Joe Montana. That is all.

redskinsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Basically agree. For me this season it is basically make it or "better luck elsewhere" time for RG3 (& perhaps Cousins). If RG3 displays no significant progress (or gets injured again) then it is time for team to cut their losses (which should be alright given the fact that the team appears to be improving regardless - QB is not the end all/be all for any team).

I am not stating that RG3 has to lead the team to the playoffs or be a top 10 QB. I am simply stating that he has to look significantly better than the last few seasons & show signs that he has addressed his weaknesses. This is regardless of the state of this season's coaching, O-line, etc. I have faith that this can occur, but it is all up to RG3.

Yes, indeed. He needs a big dose of humility in approaching this all. Hopefully, he's taken it and can get that out of his liability column this season. But many other things have to come together for him to succeed. And that starts with the o-line.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe in RGIII too. But his refusal to run the 50-series offense was more his fault than anything else. Everyone has to remember that when RGIII ran the read option, the overall effect of that offense was that it actually spared him from getting hit and getting exposed to injury. While RGIII was correct, in general, for wanting to become a pocket passer, he screwed up in two major respects. First, he wanted to make an immediate switch, something he wasn't capable of doing. Even for QBs in pro-style sets in college, it takes time for them to get used to the NFL. For someone like RGIII, who never even played with a playbook in Baylor, it was crazy for him to demand an overnight conversion like he wanted. Second, RGIII's ego got in the way. Somehow, he felt slighted by others thinking that his great rookie year was really the product of him being a running QB. To be sure, that played a part in his success. But somehow he felt shamed by the whole thing and personally demanded that MS install an offense designed for a seasoned pocket passer.

There is nothing that you've written that I disagree with, you have summed it up nicely.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rg3 needs to grow the f up . right now he is tavaris jackson part dog dew he is remedial he acts like a diva and until he screws his head on straight he will be a failure period

GenJac

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just hearing on NFL Network that Gruden is running his mouth again about "pushing the reset button on RG3." This officially shows me that Jay (just like Jon) is living up to his "Gruden" name, meaning that he likes an audience, and always likes the spotlight on him. Jay was probably the kid who went to football tryouts, got hurt the first week, sat out the whole year, but still wore the football hoodie, jersey, etc. everywhere he went. It's obvious RG III is in your crosshairs, but Snyder won't trade him. I'm sure Snyder sees more RG III jerseys around town than Gruden jerseys. So guess who will be gone 6-8 weeks into the season when they suck? Bye, Jay.