• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Jared Allen Retires

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To bad to see him retire, best wishes to him in the future.

packerzrule

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 30.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he is an avid hunter so now he will have his Falls free to do just that

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This trend will continue as more and more information about CTE comes out. Not saying that's the reason Allen is retiring but players are retiring earlier and earlier.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This trend will continue as more and more information about CTE comes out. Not saying that's the reason Allen is retiring but players are retiring earlier and earlier.

I was just about to chime in on this. With the amounts of money guys can make in a shorter period of time, we're probably going to keep seeing this trend of dudes going out while still in the prime of their career.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was this concussion related?

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think so. I didn't mean to suggest anything. I was just looking at the big picture.

Oh not saying you were trying to allude to that or anything. I was just simply asking the question if he was retiring because of concussions because I don't remember him getting one.

Oldschool739

It's my Country, Flag, Bible, Gun. Don't try it !
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh not saying you were trying to allude to that or anything. I was just simply asking the question if he was retiring because of concussions because I don't remember him getting one.

No Reds, he didn't want to play for a team with a prima donna wus for a QB, that's too scared to dive on his own fumble is my quess.....

mice_o_1627139.jpg :heh::heh::heh:

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was just about to chime in on this. With the amounts of money guys can make in a shorter period of time, we're probably going to keep seeing this trend of dudes going out while still in the prime of their career.

I think there's a couple things in that as well beyond CTE.

Possibly some players are finally saving money, listening to the stories where over half are having financial issues a couple years after retiring.

And a big one is the current CBA, where it's hard on vets to sign deals, especially for more than vet minimum. The players voted on this thinking increasing vet salaries would pay them more, but actually the vet big stars get the money and the rest get forced out.

Jared can't sign for less than a million bucks (2 sacks in a full year, I don't think he is getting a big multi-year deal). If he takes a 1 year deal with under 70k in bonus money sure he can fit in the new veteran minimum for 600k cap hit, but that really makes it a LOT tougher for him to ask for more.

So Jared vet min 1 million, 600k cap hit
Jared at 1.4 million, 1.4 million cap hit

I just don't think he wants to spend all off-season putting himself in prime shape for workouts to only be a week 3 IR replacement type guy.

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We might not have seen the last of him. Jarred Allen is the kind of guy some team will call in week 15 or 16 when they've lost a couple of their pass rushers and are about to go on a playoff run and just need some help for 3 or 4 games. And in that scenario Allen would probably say yes because he'd get one last shot at a ring with a playoff team.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We might not have seen the last of him. Jarred Allen is the kind of guy some team will call in week 15 or 16 when they've lost a couple of their pass rushers and are about to go on a playoff run and just need some help for 3 or 4 games. And in that scenario Allen would probably say yes because he'd get one last shot at a ring with a playoff team.

The issue with this thought is do you really think if he knows he is done with football that he will keep himself in game shape? I mean players talk about that all the time of there is a difference between being in shape and in game shape.

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The issue with this thought is do you really think if he knows he is done with football that he will keep himself in game shape? I mean players talk about that all the time of there is a difference between being in shape and in game shape.

He probably wouldn't be in ideal shape but sometimes teams get desperate when they think they only need one little piece to go on a tear. I've seen guys get picked up off the street that were out of football for a couple years. Hell, the Seahawks did it for Superbowl 40 when they needed a cornerback desperately. A guy with Allen's resume would be at the top of the list if a team suddenly had a dire need for a pass rusher.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Dude is retiring because he can't play in this league any longer. Not because of CTE or anything else like that.

Allen never had those explosive measurables we see from a lot of the pass rushers in this league. He was a tough, hard nosed player with just enough speed and just enough quickness. He lost a step and now he is too slow to play at this level.

If he didn't retire, the NFL probably would have sent him into retirement anyways as no one was going to clear a roster spot for a 34 year old DE with little to no speed. The entire time he was in Carolina he was singled up as he was the only one along that DL that wasn't a threat. And despite being solo blocked the whole time with a ferocious DL around him and a team that could cover better than most, he still only managed 2 sacks in 14 games (inc playoffs). That little production in such a great environment to produce is actually hard to replicate.

Great career but like a lot of players time caught up with him big time and he was only in the league the last year based on his name and not on his play. If you would have put a wig on him and called him a rookie last season, he spends the entire year on a practice squad...at best.

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude is retiring because he can't play in this league any longer. Not because of CTE or anything else like that.

Allen never had those explosive measurables we see from a lot of the pass rushers in this league. He was a tough, hard nosed player with just enough speed and just enough quickness. He lost a step and now he is too slow to play at this level.

If he didn't retire, the NFL probably would have sent him into retirement anyways as no one was going to clear a roster spot for a 34 year old DE with little to no speed. The entire time he was in Carolina he was singled up as he was the only one along that DL that wasn't a threat. And despite being solo blocked the whole time with a ferocious DL around him and a team that could cover better than most, he still only managed 2 sacks in 14 games (inc playoffs). That little production in such a great environment to produce is actually hard to replicate.

Great career but like a lot of players time caught up with him big time and he was only in the league the last year based on his name and not on his play. If you would have put a wig on him and called him a rookie last season, he spends the entire year on a practice squad...at best.

I agree with everything you said. His time has come and gone, but that doesn't mean some desperate team in December won't come knocking for his services if they get hit with injuries at that position. We've seen it many times when a team brings in a guy past his prime just to fill in for the playoffs. It's a long shot, and it would need to be for the right team for Allen to consider it, but I could see it playing out maybe. Let's face it, if you were going into the playoffs and were decimated at the DE position whose phone would you ring?

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with everything you said. His time has come and gone, but that doesn't mean some desperate team in December won't come knocking for his services if they get hit with injuries at that position. We've seen it many times when a team brings in a guy past his prime just to fill in for the playoffs. It's a long shot, and it would need to be for the right team for Allen to consider it, but I could see it playing out maybe. Let's face it, if you were going into the playoffs and were decimated at the DE position whose phone would you ring?

I would say it depends who is available. I mean for this upcoming season Aldon Smith will have his 1-year suspension end sometime in November or December. I would rather take him if we are talking a 3-4 game spot. Dwight Freeney is another that could be struggling to find work and waiting for a team to call a little while into the season. Junior Galette with all of his off the field issues could get a call on the cheap. Calvin Pace is another that being 35 could be struggling to find some work yet he put up better stats than Jared Allen.