• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Jared Allen Retires

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with everything you said. His time has come and gone, but that doesn't mean some desperate team in December won't come knocking for his services if they get hit with injuries at that position. We've seen it many times when a team brings in a guy past his prime just to fill in for the playoffs. It's a long shot, and it would need to be for the right team for Allen to consider it, but I could see it playing out maybe. Let's face it, if you were going into the playoffs and were decimated at the DE position whose phone would you ring?

Personally I would get excited and get the guy off another teams practice squad. Late season injury additions off of other teams practice squads is a great way of young player acquisition. And DE's a position of which most teams stash at least one.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personally I would get excited and get the guy off another teams practice squad. Late season injury additions off of other teams practice squads is a great way of young player acquisition. And DE's a position of which most teams stash at least one.

If you take one off a team you could possibly be playing in the playoffs you also get the added bonus of some insights to your opponent. New England does this almost every year with the late season injuries that happen.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you take one off a team you could possibly be playing in the playoffs you also get the added bonus of some insights to your opponent. New England does this almost every year with the late season injuries that happen.

The most successful one of those types of signings was Danny Woodhead.

Gm's don use this enough IMO. The Pat's signing the re-animated corpse of Steven Jackson is the perfect example. With as many young RB's stashed on PS's around the league, you can't tell me they couldn't have found a young guy to do better than Jackson did this last season.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with everything you said. His time has come and gone, but that doesn't mean some desperate team in December won't come knocking for his services if they get hit with injuries at that position. We've seen it many times when a team brings in a guy past his prime just to fill in for the playoffs. It's a long shot, and it would need to be for the right team for Allen to consider it, but I could see it playing out maybe. Let's face it, if you were going into the playoffs and were decimated at the DE position whose phone would you ring?

Probably not someone who has just been drinking beer in a tree stand for the past year.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The most successful one of those types of signings was Danny Woodhead.

Gm's don use this enough IMO. The Pat's signing the re-animated corpse of Steven Jackson is the perfect example. With as many young RB's stashed on PS's around the league, you can't tell me they couldn't have found a young guy to do better than Jackson did this last season.

That was pretty sneaky of Bilicheck. I'm sure that made every Jets fans day to see that happen.

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He probably wouldn't be in ideal shape but sometimes teams get desperate when they think they only need one little piece to go on a tear. I've seen guys get picked up off the street that were out of football for a couple years. Hell, the Seahawks did it for Superbowl 40 when they needed a cornerback desperately. A guy with Allen's resume would be at the top of the list if a team suddenly had a dire need for a pass rusher.

Seattle also grabbed Ryan Longwell off the street for one game in 2012 after Hauschka blew out his leg on that ACL graveyard in Washington.

Okay, not quite the same thing with kickers but you get the idea.

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's face it, if you were going into the playoffs and were decimated at the DE position whose phone would you ring?

Honestly I don't think he'd be on my call list. If you lose a starter, I'd go with my #2/3 end which means I am probably losing depth on special teams. I didn't see him getting much pressure last season, 0 sacks over the last 11 games too, and he was just blown off the LOS in the run game. I don't think 9 months away from football improves on that, so you'd expect worse.

LionsWhyMe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,325.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry, but I can't say that I'll miss Jared Allen after his 7+ years in the NFC North. I can remember his first year with the Vikings and thought this is going to suck seeing him twice a year. His first game against the Lions in the NFC North...

click to watch on U-Tube

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of my favorites.

Glad he didn't sign with GB before he retired.

Id vote for him before Calvin for tHOF.

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of those guys you always wanted on your team.