• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

James Johnson makes his head coaching debut today at 2pm on ESPN3 vs. ETSU

Ragingcroc

mcklSJDFIOj
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does anyone else feel like we're sharing the ball more? I don't think I've seen Erick Green pass so much. He only got like 4 assists, but I saw a lot of good looks that were missed. He probably could have made a tough shot but decided to kick it out instead.

hokiecheme11

Mr. Manager
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we need Rankin back bad. The offense stagnates when Green isn't in to facilitate

hokiecheme11

Mr. Manager
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought Rankin was there tonight?

Edit: read somewhere he was available, don't know why he didn't play

ACC_HOKIES

4 ACC Championships
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
First game I got to watch. Not sure what to make of it other than they are playing at a faster pace and with more energy, which was both good and bad in this game. Defensively the energy led to some steals and blocks, but it also led to several overplays on screens and guys running into each other. Also saw a lot of ball watching and players losing their man. That should clean up as they play together though.

Offensively, the pace is faster but to me at times it still looks similar to what Greenberg ran, only faster. Lots of isos or two man game with everyone else standing around. It's working because we're hitting shots, but that might be fool's gold. Not sure if they could manufacture points from plays against a better defensive opponent at this point. I did like Green being more decisive coming off screens however. Also liked what I saw offensively from JVG when he had opportunities, same with Raines.

Not sure what to make of rebounding either. Defensively, I thought it was ok. Offensively though, it looked like our guys didn't try to get them. That may be by design. The coaches may be telling them to forgo the rebound and get back on D. Or it could just be lack of effort. Don't know at this point.

A good start though. We've got some good games to work through some stuff and improve

WRT playing simply a faster version of SG's offense, I think that's to be expected for now. I'm thinking JJ might be using the guys' talents and experiences as best he can for now. When he starts making adjustments during the season, and recruiting guys for the future is when we'll start to see what we can expect long term. I don't know what to think about rebounding. Better than last game atleast.

Overall, I'm encouraged that we got a fast start, but we did give up a run there in the first half. I realize we're going to give up runs every once and awhile, but Tech tends to do it far more than our peers, so I hope that gets resolved under JJ. The TO at about 2 minutes left was very effective going into the half though. 8-0 run basically put the game out of reach.

Lumbee09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought Rankin was there tonight?

Edit: read somewhere he was available, don't know why he didn't play

Just read that he had two deaths in the family last week that kept him out of town for the opener. Sounds like he didn't play because he didn't practice prior to yesterday's game. Should be available Thursday.

Ragingcroc

mcklSJDFIOj
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I loved the Erick Green dunk and Marshall Wood hitting his first triple! We got to defend better though.

Ragingcroc

mcklSJDFIOj
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did anyone see Green push Marcus Patrick into position on defense? Resulted in JVG drawing the charge.

robV703

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like JvZ really put on some weight this offseason. Also glad to see Barksdale active, although his jumping ability appears suspect...

Last edited by a moderator:

hokiecheme11

Mr. Manager
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is Rankin hurt or something? I really thought he woulda been first guard off the bench today

robV703

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is Rankin hurt or something? I really thought he woulda been first guard off the bench today

Don't think he's hurt. He missed a couple practices but you'd think he would have played by now.

Ragingcroc

mcklSJDFIOj
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty sure coach Johnson was telling barksdale that it wasn't his shot when he hoisted the last jumper. Anyone else better at lip reading see the same thing?

Ragingcroc

mcklSJDFIOj
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We've done a great job contesting VMI threes. I don't think they've gotten many good looks from 3 land. It seems like they're chucking it.

Ragingcroc

mcklSJDFIOj
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow, loved the last play, Robert Brown coming off the screen for the catch and shoot 3.