• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Jacobs TKOs Quillin in the 1st rd

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was some bullshit. Terrible reffing there.

Stopped the fight in the first round without even a knockdown?

Give the man a standing 8 if you need to, but he waved the fight off straight away. That's some shit.

(He might have waved it off after a standing 8 anyways, or went down on the next punch but come on.)

KnightAndDay

Separate or shoot to kill
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,129.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stopped the fight in the first round without even a knockdown?

There doesn't need to be. If one guy is getting his ass kicked too much, the ref's job is to stop the fight.

That was some bullshit. Terrible reffing there.

Quillin was out on his feet. You can see it written all over his face. He was done.

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There doesn't need to be. If one guy is getting his ass kicked too much, the ref's job is to stop the fight.

Quillin was out on his feet. You can see it written all over his face. He was done.

If it's the later rounds and the guy is taking an accumulation of punishment, then by all means stop the fight. First half of the first round though you gotta give the guy a chance to recover. I watched the fight, he was out on his feet. Give him a standing 8 and see if he can fight. If no standing 8 by whatever rules they were under, then let him go down and see if he gets up. He was going down next punch anyways.

I understand protecting the fighters, but you still gotta let them fight.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
my cable channel didn't show the fight when they said it would be on. So I missed the whole thing. :(

Quillin gave up his belt rather than fight GGG in a mandatory fight. I really thought Jacobs would out class him. (didn't think in the 1st round though)

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
my cable channel didn't show the fight when they said it would be on. So I missed the whole thing. :(

Quillin gave up his belt rather than fight GGG in a mandatory fight. I really thought Jacobs would out class him. (didn't think in the 1st round though)

Quillin gave up his belt rather than face Korobov. Who then lost to Andy Lee. Levels of magnitude below Golovkin.

But it was mostly a money/business decision. Quillin, like Mayweather, is "managed" by Al Haymon who pretty much developed the fight strategy of taking the easiest opponent fir the most money. Haymon is a dick. But he got his start as a music promoter, and in that area he somehow at some point came into contact with Jay-Z. I think Jay-Z ended up suing him or something like that, anyway they somehow ended up absolutely hating each other. Well the Quillin v. Korobov fight ended up having a purse bid, which means promoters (Don King, Bob Arum, Goldenboy, Mayweather, HBO, Showtime, etc) all put a bid in to promote the fight. The highest bid gets the rights to promote that specific fight, but they have to front a certain percentage of the money up front with no guarantees and they don't get that money back if the fight gets canceled. Jay-Z apparently had wanted to be involved with boxing for a while, so his production company put in the highest bid and was gonna do the fight. AL Haymon somehow convinced Quillin to walk away from that fight and that payday and that belt. All just to screw over Jay-Z.

KnightAndDay

Separate or shoot to kill
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,129.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Scorecard: Jacobs makes statement with spectacular KO win

Well, that was quick, wasn't it? The battle for Brooklyn turned out to be a mere skirmish as Jacobs, the underdog, blew Quillin away in just 85 seconds for the biggest win of his career. He retained his secondary 160-pound title for the third time (Gennady Golovkin owns the organization's top-tier belt) and he did it in supremely impressive fashion against his neighborhood pal.

Jacobs, 28, and former titleholder Quillin, 32, have been friends for years. They go back to their teenage years when they were top New York amateurs and even spent some time sparring with each other. But over the past few years, especially when the Barclays Center opened in 2012 and began hosting big-time boxing on a regular basis, the fight was something a lot of people talked about. It was inevitable and when the fight was made, both men put their friendship on hold, although they remained respectful throughout the buildup to the fight.

But once it began, both men -- who earned $1.5 million apiece -- came out with the obvious intention to hurt the other guy and the fireworks began immediately. But it was Jacobs who got through with a well-placed right hand that really hurt Quillin, who staggered into the ropes. Jacobs let his hands fly and continued to catch Quillin with punishing punches. He hurt him to the head with both hands and uppercuts and to the body and Quillin was in deep trouble as he attempted to clinch. But Jacobs kept winging shots and was particularly effective with his right hand. Quillin tried to fight back but Jacobs overpowered him and continued to land. The final punch was a brutal right hand on Quillin's temple that really messed him up. The punch took away his equilibrium and sent him hopping around in crazy fashion as he could not control his legs. Quillin was in terrible condition, unable to control his legs and his eyes were glazed over, and referee Harvey Dock did the only thing that he could do -- step in and call off the fight much to the disappointment of the 8,442 in attendance. But he did not have the option of issuing a standing eight-count because it's not permitted under the unified rules of boxing, which covers title bouts. So he made the right call because Quillin, who did not complain about the stoppage, would have likely been knocked out cold moments later.

It was a tough loss for Quillin (who landed only two punches to Jacobs' 27, per CompuBox punch statistics) but a glorious victory for Jacobs, who only three years ago did not know if would live or die as he battled -- and eventually beat -- a rare form of bone cancer. There was some talk about a rematch, which Jacobs said he would be happy to give Quillin, but that is unlikely. Quillin, who has had issues making weight at times, could move up to super middleweight. Jacobs could wind up in a unification fight next year with the winner of the Dec. 19 fight between titlist Andy Lee and Billy Joe Saunders. Whatever happens next for Jacobs, he is the King of Brooklyn and one of the best middleweights in the world.

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mayweather says Jacobs-Quillin fight was stopped too soon

I don't mean this to take anything away from Jacobs, I read what I wrote and don't think I made that clear before. He came out and won every exchange in that short fight. I'm just saying let the fighters fight at least a little bit. I would have been 100% fine with that exact same stoppage if it had been even say the 3-4th round or so. But less than halfway through the first round I thought then and still think now that it was too early.