• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Jackets trade Umberger for Hartnell

laikaloco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Flyers dumping salary...

Lombardi, Jr. at work...

smackdown380

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Not sure if this true but saw this tweet and found it funny:

Last edited by a moderator:

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hahaha that's awesome. No thanks to Hartnell, he is good for about 3 bonehead penalties a game. Bad enough when Stoll or Greene do it, this guy takes the cake. He reached his peak about 3-4 years ago, enjoy that contract Columbus. Nice salary dump as Loco said by Hextall.

Still love reading around on Flyers stuff about how they're "better off" with Simmonds and Schenn (who was just extended yesterday, 2 years/$5 million. Looks like a wait and see contract to me), hell even add Voracek and Coutourier in there since they tend to as they have to grasp for straws to try and come out as the winners.

Carter and Richards delivered already - TWICE!

=)~~

BM.

Rock Hard Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder if his level of douchebaggery will drop now that he's no longer in an orange sweater....

Deader2818

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hahaha that's awesome. No thanks to Hartnell, he is good for about 3 bonehead penalties a game. Bad enough when Stoll or Greene do it, this guy takes the cake. He reached his peak about 3-4 years ago, enjoy that contract Columbus. Nice salary dump as Loco said by Hextall.

Still love reading around on Flyers stuff about how they're "better off" with Simmonds and Schenn (who was just extended yesterday, 2 years/$5 million. Looks like a wait and see contract to me), hell even add Voracek and Coutourier in there since they tend to as they have to grasp for straws to try and come out as the winners.

Carter and Richards delivered already - TWICE!

=)~~

It wasnt much of a salary dump. Hartnell has 5 years left on a 4.75 cap hit and Umberger 3 years on a 4.6 cap hit. Hartnell is the better player of the two.

As far as the trades go, it really worked out well for both teams. Richards has been in decline offensively and the Flyers got younger with Simmonds and Schenn who have played well in Philly. Even the Carter trade got them to good young players.

The Flyers problems run pretty deep. They werent going to win a cup with Carter and/or Richards there because they are built wrong. No solid goaltending or solid defense.

Clearly the Kings "won" because we have 2 cups to show for it. But the 4 guys the Flyers got can be built around if they fixed their back end issues. Honestly they were just good hockey trades for both clubs.

Well not the Jackets but whatever, lol.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It wasnt much of a salary dump. Hartnell has 5 years left on a 4.75 cap hit and Umberger 3 years on a 4.6 cap hit. Hartnell is the better player of the two.

You don't think losing $9.5 million isn't a salary dump? You have my address, send me a check for that amount since it's apparently not a big deal. Mrs. Puck will thank you for it.

=)~~

While Umberger is in Philadelphia, B. Schenn and Couturier are going to need new contracts. They make shit now ($2.5 million, $1.75 million) and will get bigger deals. Voraceck is going to be a UFA and if they want to keep him they will need to pay him more ($4.25 million now). They're high on Rafl, who will be a UFA as well ($1.1 million) although I smell Ville Leino all over this guy. On defense Coburn ($4.5 million), L. Schenn ($3.6 million) and Grossman ($3.5 millon) will also be UFAs.

This is all in only the next three years. The cap is expected to stay the same at $71 million, so they won't be able to simply spend more (no one will).

Of course this is a salary dump, they will need every penny to field a competitive team by 2017. Plus Hartnell's time in Philadelphia was done, he was a fan favorite but pretty useless the last few years. Not the player he was several years ago.

As far as the better player, depends on your POV - Umberger is a much better PKer, has a lot more speed and plays a better two way game. Hartnell crashes the net, plays physical and is the better goal scorer. Not sure how apples and oranges can be compared, you're talking about two different types of players.

As far as the trades go, it really worked out well for both teams. Richards has been in decline offensively and the Flyers got younger with Simmonds and Schenn who have played well in Philly. Even the Carter trade got them to good young players.

The Flyers problems run pretty deep. They werent going to win a cup with Carter and/or Richards there because they are built wrong. No solid goaltending or solid defense.

Clearly the Kings "won" because we have 2 cups to show for it. But the 4 guys the Flyers got can be built around if they fixed their back end issues. Honestly they were just good hockey trades for both clubs.

Well not the Jackets but whatever, lol.

That all depends on your POV too. To me, the Kings ended up with 2 Cups, which is the ultimate goal. The Flyers got some very good players who score a lot of goals but are divisive (Schenn - some love him, some hate him) and young but have not been able to deliver when it mattered.

There is still time, but 5 years is generally a good indicator of how well a trade turned out for teams in a trade. Unless the Flyers can win at least 1 Cup, or show significant progress between now and 2016, there will be no more debate about who won this trade.

The Blue Jackets improved too, the culture of that organization is changing but they have a long way to go.

Last edited by a moderator:

Deader2818

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The guys they got are still pretty young. Simmonds is 25, Voraceck is 24, Schenn is 22 and Couturier is 21. Its a good base of forwards they have. Its their defense and goaltending that are terrible and im sure Hextall will take what he learned in LA and fix that unless Ed Synder is going to be Ed Synder and fuck it all up like he always does.

The Flyers failures isnt based on those 2 trades. Like I said, they were just good hockey trades. Both teams got what they wanted out of it.

I only say it wasnt great for the Jackets because they basically traded Voraceck and Couturier for Johnson and Marko Daňo.

laikaloco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The guys they got are still pretty young. Simmonds is 25, Voraceck is 24, Schenn is 22 and Couturier is 21. Its a good base of forwards they have. Its their defense and goaltending that are terrible and im sure Hextall will take what he learned in LA and fix that unless Ed Synder is going to be Ed Synder and fuck it all up like he always does.

The Flyers failures isnt based on those 2 trades. Like I said, they were just good hockey trades. Both teams got what they wanted out of it.

I only say it wasnt great for the Jackets because they basically traded Voraceck and Couturier for Johnson and Marko Daňo.

I never said the Flyers didn't do well in the deal...but I object to Sam Carchidi in the Inquirer writing THREE times last season that the Flyers were "clear winners" because Simmer and Schenn both had better stats than Richards. And you live in the area...those two trades HAD to be made because Holmgren threw all that money at Bryzgalev. Hmmmm...wonder how that worked out.

After the finals, I tweeted Carchidi "Still think the Flyers won the trade? How many Cups is it gonna take?". Maybe something is getting through his orange-colored glasses, though...here's his opening paragraph from this past Sunday:

"The Flyers need to start developing their own draft picks before they can even be mentioned in the same sentence as the Los Angeles Kings and Chicago Blackhawks, two of the league's heavyweights." So maybe I've gotten through a little...