• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

IUPATI THE ODD MAN OUT

49er4life1979

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to a recent article I read, Mike Iupati may be the odd man out for a contract extension - considering Colin Kaepernick, Aldon Smith, and Michael Crabtree all warrant one, more so than him...Andy Levitre's deal with the Titans may be contributing to the part of the problem. Levitre, who has not been All-Pro yet, or even a Pro Bowler I think, signed a 6 year 46.8M contact last year, with 13M guaranteed. With that being said, Iupati's agent may ask for 8M a year considering his client is a two time All-Pro...Something to think about...I dont see the Niners doling out 8M a year for a Guard, as they all more easily replaceable than a QB, pass rusher, and WR...Also, the 49ers very much like Joe Looney who's draft stock fell because of his leg injury and thats the only reason why. Looney obviously hasnt had much of a chance to contribute as the 49ers OL has been pretty set, but going forward that may change. Looney played well filling in at RG for 3 quarters against the Rams this past season.

badazzk9

Key Master
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to a recent article I read, Mike Iupati may be the odd man out for a contract extension - considering Colin Kaepernick, Aldon Smith, and Michael Crabtree all warrant one, more so than him...Andy Levitre's deal with the Titans may be contributing to the part of the problem. Levitre, who has not been All-Pro yet, or even a Pro Bowler I think, signed a 6 year 46.8M contact last year, with 13M guaranteed. With that being said, Iupati's agent may ask for 8M a year considering his client is a two time All-Pro...Something to think about...I dont see the Niners doling out 8M a year for a Guard, as they all more easily replaceable than a QB, pass rusher, and WR...Also, the 49ers very much like Joe Looney who's draft stock fell because of his leg injury and thats the only reason why. Looney obviously hasnt had much of a chance to contribute as the 49ers OL has been pretty set, but going forward that may change. Looney played well filling in at RG for 3 quarters against the Rams this past season.

I may be the only one but Id put Iupati ahead of these guys. The way the 9ers play the O line is the key to their success. Aldon with his troubles brings his stock down, Crabby is injury prone, and Kap has his struggles.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I may be the only one but Id put Iupati ahead of these guys. The way the 9ers play the O line is the key to their success. Aldon with his troubles brings his stock down, Crabby is injury prone, and Kap has his struggles.

You're not the only one.

1. Aldon
2. Iupati

49er4life1979

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

So you really think the 49ers are going to pump huge bucks into a G? Over a QB and top notch pass rusher?....Kap had his midseason struggles but I dont think there is any doubt anymore about him being the franchise QB. Is he still young and could use improvement, namely with progressions? Absolutely...Aldon Smith may have had his troubles, but it is widely believed that all that is in the past. He is a the game's best pass rusher whom the opposing offense must double team at all times or pay dearly. I am glad you are not the 49ers GM.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
When Looney has had a chance to play he has produced. 2013 was essentially his rookie season.

And he couldn't beat out one of the worst OGs in the NFL. I'm not saying he's a bust (he's only 23) or that he WON'T be any good; what I'm saying is he hasn't shown anything at all in the NFL yet. One game isn't an indication he can start.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Iupati is so overrated. He should be near the bottom on the priority list.

With Iupati: Niners up 10-0

Without him: Niners score 7 points the rest of the game & lose.

Things started going straight down hill when Iupati got hurt.

badazzk9

Key Master
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you really think the 49ers are going to pump huge bucks into a G? Over a QB and top notch pass rusher?....Kap had his midseason struggles but I dont think there is any doubt anymore about him being the franchise QB. Is he still young and could use improvement, namely with progressions? Absolutely...Aldon Smith may have had his troubles, but it is widely believed that all that is in the past. He is a the game's best pass rusher whom the opposing offense must double team at all times or pay dearly. I am glad you are not the 49ers GM.

Mid season like after the Green Bay game? And yes there is plenty of doubt about him being a franchise QB.

Huge bucks? I'm talking about who's deserving of a contact; which is what we are talking about referring to the guys you listed who "all warrant one" (contract) over Iupati.

jump-to-conclusions-mat.jpg

bvanthielriceyoung

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

I dont think losing Iupati is the reason things started going down hill. I'd say Reid, Whitner, Rogers, A. Davis, and Kaepernick are the ones to blame.

I didn't notice Iupati's replacement messing up or struggling at all.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No way we pay a Guard that much money when we have to pay to keep players at crucial positions like QB, Pass Rusher, and Receiver. The 49ers will prioritize Kaep first, and then likely look to keep Boldin. They will probably option the 5th year on Aldon and start talking with Crabtree about an extension even if one does not get done. I think keeping Whitner could be a big focus as well with the corner positions getting ready for a big change. It's likely the 49ers would like to keep a back line of Whitner and Reid, but Whitner could be a cap casualty as he only stays at the right price.

This coming draft will probably see the 49ers go hard after DB's and look to add another playmaker at WR.

I'd love to see us trade up for a guy like Mike Evans to put opposite Crabtree. He could develop into a bigger version of Boldin. I saw one mock draft that had him going to Detriot. 6'5 Evans on one side and Megatron on the other would be scary.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
No way we pay a Guard that much money when we have to pay to keep players at crucial positions like QB, Pass Rusher, and Receiver.

Crabtree is very replaceable. It's not "crucial" to sign him for 10 million + a year (which is what he'll get).

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Iupati and all but I can't say that this news surprises me. He's an OG and we simply don't have the money to pay top dollar for that position.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I like Iupati and all but I can't say that this news surprises me. He's an OG and we simply don't have the money to pay top dollar for that position.

Sure they do. He'll make less than Crabtree. They just probably can't afford both.

And Iupati >>>>>>> Crabtree. In fact, Patton may be able to replace Crabtree's production pretty well; nobody's going to come close to replacing Iupati's.

PaythePiper

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Our running game sucked with him in, and sucked with him out. You pay tackles big bucks, not guards

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Our running game sucked with him in, and sucked with him out. You pay tackles big bucks, not guards

New England paid top dollar for Logan Mankins.

Notice how they haven't exactly devoted big bucks to WRs lately.

AngryNiner

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure they do. He'll make less than Crabtree. They just probably can't afford both.

And Iupati >>>>>>> Crabtree. In fact, Patton may be able to replace Crabtree's production pretty well; nobody's going to come close to replacing Iupati's.

Iupati is not more important to the team then Crabtree is. He is just not. We dont know what Patton can do yet. I think you are severely underrating Crab. It took many a year to get a WR even close to as good as Crabtree. That should tell you that he isnt easily replaceable.
To me the priority is Aldon then Crab. If Iupati doesnt want to play ball let him walk I say.

AngryNiner

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
New England paid top dollar for Logan Mankins.

Notice how they haven't exactly devoted big bucks to WRs lately.

They have Tom Brady.

Also they could have used a WR of Crabs caliber.