• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

ITT: We debate the greatest Fallout game

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean the most glaring issue is zero dialogue choice compared to NV or most RPGs. Also, the story is too linear to be a true RPG too. Maybe you could argue action RPG, but in the classical sense or like the original games it comes nowhere close.

this video was 2 and a half hours so I don't expect you to watch it, but it does a great job breaking down how causualized they made Fallout 4. Doesn't mean it's a bad game, just a bad fallout game imo if that makes sense

Eh, RPG's if they want to tell a good story almost always have to sacrifice some choice for advancing a coherent narrative.

I guess it'd be awesome to have a fallout game where you could get up, get dressed, go hang around by the drugstore (get that reference!) but it's kinda' more interesting to get caught up instead with warring factions and the like that the... story... provides.

YRMV :)

Sgt Brutus

Goober
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eh, RPG's if they want to tell a good story almost always have to sacrifice some choice for advancing a coherent narrative.

I guess it'd be awesome to have a fallout game where you could get up, get dressed, go hang around by the drugstore (get that reference!) but it's kinda' more interesting to get caught up instead with warring factions and the like that the... story... provides.

YRMV :)
Im not saying there shouldnt be a story? But a good example was FO4:
1. giving you a voiced protagonist, which ruins role playing
2. giving you a very clear and precise background, you're a family man looking for a baby, unlike NV where all you know is that you were a carrier - so you can roleplay the game however you want.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im not saying there shouldnt be a story? But a good example was FO4:
1. giving you a voiced protagonist, which ruins role playing
2. giving you a very clear and precise background, you're a family man looking for a baby, unlike NV where all you know is that you were a carrier - so you can roleplay the game however you want.

Sure. But AGAIN, there's a trade-off in play. Witcher 3, generally regarded as the gold standard RPG you couldn't be anyone BUT Geralt, because then they could do so much more with the story. If you leave all that generic, then the STORY is by definition, much more bland.

Again, YRMV , but I'll take an immersive story (Last of Us) over the ability to play a female half-orc archer any day of the week.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fallout 2 and then fallout 1. Loved the games before they turned them into Elder Scrolls with guns.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fallout 2 and then fallout 1. Loved the games before they turned them into Elder Scrolls with guns.
My kid DL'd the first games on steam, so I went back to play one for nostaligia's sake. Kind of like the XCOM games, (which were my favorite games back in the day), they haven't aged very well.

Have you actually tried playing those again lately?

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My kid DL'd the first games on steam, so I went back to play one for nostaligia's sake. Kind of like the XCOM games, (which were my favorite games back in the day), they haven't aged very well.

Have you actually tried playing those again lately?

No, I actually really enjoy the new Fallouts, I just did not like that they completely changed the genre and then gave it the same title. I love all the game like the fallout type though, there is another one called Arcanum that is similar that I really enjoyed that had the same mechanics only without the same humor.

Really they could have called the fallout games anything else and they would have just been games that I loved.

Xcom did a fantastic job of updating for modern gaming but keeping the feel of the original.

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, I actually really enjoy the new Fallouts, I just did not like that they completely changed the genre and then gave it the same title. I love all the game like the fallout type though, there is another one called Arcanum that is similar that I really enjoyed that had the same mechanics only without the same humor.

Funny you mention Arcanum. That was a great but obscure game. Set in a Victorian type world where magic and steampunk stuff (like weapons) co-exist. Very detailed with tons of interesting quests. . Much like the early Fallouts except in a different setting. There might have been some overlap in developers.

Really they could have called the fallout games anything else and they would have just been games that I loved.

Xcom did a fantastic job of updating for modern gaming but keeping the feel of the original.

No question. The new X-Coms were great. They definitely created a very well-done modern game without sacrificing the feel of the originals. I think anyone who liked the original X-com games would be pretty happy with the new ones. .

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah, I guess in that they're still turn based, but the originals suffer hugely from the same age issues that the original fallout games do.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I guess in that they're still turn based, but the originals suffer hugely from the same age issues that the original fallout games do.

Absolutely they do, I went and played the original before the new one came out just for nostalgia. There are a lot of older game flaws in it. My overall point was they modernized the game and kept the overall feel as a strategy turn based rpg. Keeping a lot of the critical elements the same while updating the mechanics.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Funny you mention Arcanum. That was a great but obscure game. Set in a Victorian type world where magic and steampunk stuff (like weapons) co-exist. Very detailed with tons of interesting quests. . Much like the early Fallouts except in a different setting. There might have been some overlap in developers.

I loved Arcanum, but it never really got a big following. Throwing weapons are a broken mechanic in the game. I enjoyed the story and the blend of high fantasy and steam age elements.

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I loved Arcanum, but it never really got a big following. Throwing weapons are a broken mechanic in the game. I enjoyed the story and the blend of high fantasy and steam age elements.

Same here. It took themes from Sherlock Holmes. Dracula, Jules Verne and H.G Wells etc and rolled them into a game Tons of content. I'm sure some of the developers came from some Fallout development group.

I still have the box and CD on a shelf. I wonder if it runs on Windows 10??

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Same here. It took themes from Sherlock Holmes. Dracula, Jules Verne and H.G Wells etc and rolled them into a game Tons of content. I'm sure some of the developers came from some Fallout development group.

I still have the box and CD on a shelf. I wonder if it runs on Windows 10??

You can buy it on Steam