• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

It's LOTTO DAY!!!

Who gets the first pick in the draft?

• Celtics

Votes: 16 45.7%
  • Suns

Votes: 4 11.4%
  • Lakers

Votes: 10 28.6%
  • Sixers

Votes: 3 8.6%
  • Magic

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Kings

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 5.7%

• Total voters

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who gets the first pick in the draft?

I got a good feeling for the Suns..........

Do the Lakers keep their pick, or do the Sixers get 2 top 6-7 picks?

Do the Kings stay at 8 and 10 or jump up?

Do the Heat stay last in the lotto?

should be interesting............................................8 pm. Changes the course of franchises

Kold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We lost our pick when we went on that winning streak to close the season...but as I've said before the season, I don't see it as some cataclysmic failure that can't be overcomed

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We lost our pick when we went on that winning streak to close the season...but as I've said before the season, I don't see it as some cataclysmic failure that can't be overcomed
cmon now with that defeatist attitude!!!

you have a 46% shot of keeping your pick i believe--- basically a "coin flip" in the parlance of our times!

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Me only prediction is that no matter what happens the tin-foil-hat folks will have an explanation for why its the exact scenario the league wanted.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Me only prediction is that no matter what happens the tin-foil-hat folks will have an explanation for why its the exact scenario the league wanted.

Magic is going to be the Lakers representative. Can you imagine the conspiracy theories if they get the #1 pick? lol

If they just stay in the top 3, I don't think it will be too bad because, as Wiggy pointed out, they have basically a coin flip chance of keeping it.

But if they get the #1 pick...:tinfoil3:

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Agree. They will still have a first round pick and a 2nd round pick, so they won't be left empty handed. They'll just have to make sure they land another Clarkson or Nance type player.

Imo, the most important work for this off season has already been done. They got rid of Short Buss and most of the folks he brought in and are starting over with practically a whole new FO.

Reactions: DJ

Kold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
cmon now with that defeatist attitude!!!

you have a 46% shot of keeping your pick i believe--- basically a "coin flip" in the parlance of our times!
Just something about this year that I'm not feeling. Then again, I had a bad feeling last year and we ended with Ingram

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just something about this year that I'm not feeling. Then again, I had a bad feeling last year and we ended with Ingram
itll be interesting to see how it turns out thats for sure.

it could be the difference between keeping 2 first round picks (the Orlando one also)- or striking out.

the difference between getting the biggest high-end talent the team has had since Kobe---- or having to wait till the end of the first round to take a flier on a 3rd tier prospect.

huge huge stakes.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll be happy with 14 and TJ Leaf. Fills an important need of a stretch 4

Reactions: TJL

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
itll be interesting to see how it turns out thats for sure.

it could be the difference between keeping 2 first round picks (the Orlando one also)- or striking out.

the difference between getting the biggest high-end talent the team has had since Kobe---- or having to wait till the end of the first round to take a flier on a 3rd tier prospect.

huge huge stakes.

I don't think the stakes are all that huge at this point. It would have been a lot worse to have lost their pick in one of the previous drafts before they had landed some good young guys with some promise.

Don't get me wrong, I want them to keep that pick. But it's not the end of the world if they don't. They have restructured the front office with folks who at least seem to have a clear plan in place and according to Pelinka, they have plans for both keeping and not keeping the pick. They also have mapped out potential FA's for the next 5 years and Luke, Pelinka and Magic have been in constant communication since the season ended. This is far different than when Short Buss was running the basketball side.

Just having a clear plan should help the Lakers in pursuing FA's. I don't know if it will help them this year necessarily. But it will definitely help going forward. From what I read this morning, it looks like they have the cap space for 1 max FA. It'll be interesting to see if they do anything with it or save it for after next FA when PG-13 will be available (assuming the rumors of him wanting to be a Laker are true).

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think the stakes are all that huge at this point. It would have been a lot worse to have lost their pick in one of the previous drafts before they had landed some good young guys with some promise.

Don't get me wrong, I want them to keep that pick. But it's not the end of the world if they don't. They have restructured the front office with folks who at least seem to have a clear plan in place and according to Pelinka, they have plans for both keeping and not keeping the pick. They also have mapped out potential FA's for the next 5 years and Luke, Pelinka and Magic have been in constant communication since the season ended. This is far different than when Short Buss was running the basketball side.

Just having a clear plan should help the Lakers in pursuing FA's. I don't know if it will help them this year necessarily. But it will definitely help going forward. From what I read this morning, it looks like they have the cap space for 1 max FA. It'll be interesting to see if they do anything with it or save it for after next FA when PG-13 will be available (assuming the rumors of him wanting to be a Laker are true).
so the difference between having 2 first rounders, one a top 3 pick, and losing both, to you isnt huge stakes?

possibly adding the biggest high end young talent since Kobe, and an additional first round pick---- vs. losing 2 first round picks, isnt high stakes?

id say its the highest stakes I can ever remember a lotto team going through- its not only for draft position- its about KEEPING the pick, not only about KEEPING a pick, keeping a top 3 pick, not only about keeping a top 3 pick, but ANOTHER first rounder as well.

In all the years watching the lotto i cant remember that much being on the line for any one team. a 46% chance of keeping a top 3 pick AND a 2nd 1st round pick in the future...

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wasn't sure to vote for the Sixers or the Kings!

Woohooo go balls!

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so the difference between having 2 first rounders, one a top 3 pick, and losing both, to you isnt huge stakes?

possibly adding the biggest high end young talent since Kobe, and an additional first round pick---- vs. losing 2 first round picks, isnt high stakes?

id say its the highest stakes I can ever remember a lotto team going through- its not only for draft position- its about KEEPING the pick, not only about KEEPING a pick, keeping a top 3 pick, not only about keeping a top 3 pick, but ANOTHER first rounder as well.

No. As I said, the stakes were higher in previous drafts when the Lakers had next to nothing in the way of young talent/marketable assets. Now, they at least have some talent/assets and a clear direction.

As I said, I'd much rather keep the pick, but it's not the end of the world if they don't. Not sure what is so difficult to understand.

Every high draft pick gives them the opportunity to add "the biggest high end talent since Kobe." But no one knows if that player will ever develop into that.

As I said, at least this time, if they lose the pick, they have an FO with a clear plan and already have some attractive pieces that can help land a max FA or be traded. This is a different situation than the previous drafts.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No. As I said, the stakes were higher in previous drafts when the Lakers had next to nothing in the way of young talent/marketable assets. Now, they at least have some talent/assets and a clear direction.

As I said, I'd much rather keep the pick, but it's not the end of the world if they don't. Not sure what is so difficult to understand.

Every high draft pick gives them the opportunity to add "the biggest high end talent since Kobe." But no one knows if that player will ever develop into that.

As I said, at least this time, if they lose the pick, they have an FO with a clear plan and already have some attractive pieces that can help land a max FA or be traded. This is a different situation than the previous drafts.
im not sure what is so difficult to understand to be honest.

on one hand you have: a top 3 pick and a future first rounder- on the other hand- you have nothing.

I cant remember a scenario in lottery history- Lakers- or any other team- where more was on the line- where the difference was so stark.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

i mean-

i guess i see your point as--- well we already have some talent so if it goes bad its okay?----

i mean- i dont think the Celtics are thinking- wow- we already have a team that can make the ECF- so who cares if we get the #1 pick or the #4......

its a huge freaking deal.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
im not sure what is so difficult to understand to be honest.

on one hand you have: a top 3 pick and a future first rounder- on the other hand- you have nothing.

I cant remember a scenario in lottery history- Lakers- or any other team- where more was on the line- where the difference was so stark.

Again, it would be much worse if they were in the same position they were in 3 years ago, they're not.

I know you want this to be a big deal and you want Lakers fans to be all nervous and tense about it and predicting doom and gloom if we don't keep the pick. Well, I hate to disappoint you, but it's not going to happen.

If Short Buss were still running things, you might see that, but he's not, so you won't. The vast majority of us have faith in our FO and our coach. In short, it's the Lakers, they'll get shit figured out one way or the other and Lakers fans know it.

LogicMan

Watch out for Berniedoodles and Trumpers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am thinking the Celtics will trade the pick if its # 1 , but if they end up at 2,3,4 they will keep the pick. I know thats sound strange but I think #1 pick will be seen as huge by some teams and those some teams have some superstars that cannot be around for the needed rebuilds. Maybe I am crazy but I see the #1 and Rozier going for one specific player......oh the suspense

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, it would be much worse if they were in the same position they were in 3 years ago, they're not.

I know you want this to be a big deal and you want Lakers fans to be all nervous and tense about it and predicting doom and gloom if we don't keep the pick. Well, I hate to disappoint you, but it's not going to happen.

If Short Buss were still running things, you might see that, but he's not, so you won't. The vast majority of us have faith in our FO and our coach. In short, it's the Lakers, they'll get shit figured out one way or the other and Lakers fans know it.
I think if you dont keep the pick it sets you back at least another year.

I think you are vastly underestimating what a high lotto pick in a loaded draft will do for the team. If its Fultz or Ball- they instantly become the most talented young player the franchise has had since Kobe- they instantly become the guy on the front of the program- the guy printed on the season tickets- the guy the team builds around as their future franchise player.

And- while i know people on this site dont agree with me- i think the most important thing in the NBA is getting that franchise talent. Right now- if i were to guess- the Lakers dont have that guy.

Fultz or Ball would be the best chance at having that guy. Especially if the Lakers improve this year- they might not have a chance to draft at the top of the lotto for a long time coming- if they end up somewhere like 8th or 9th next year in the lotto.

- andi mean- like i said ---its not even like this is about draft positioning-- its about KEEPING the pick...not only one pick- but a second one as well.

Can you ever remember a scenario in NBA history where a team had 2 1st rounders on the line in the lotto? I cant thats for sure.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i mean-

i guess i see your point as--- well we already have some talent so if it goes bad its okay?----

i mean- i dont think the Celtics are thinking- wow- we already have a team that can make the ECF- so who cares if we get the #1 pick or the #4......

its a huge freaking deal.

1. That's correct. If this were the team we had 3 years ago...keeping the pick would be far more important because that team had nothing but a bunch of castoffs. This team has building blocks/tradeable assets.

2. Of course not, but the Celtics are in a different situation than the Lakers. Their rebuild is nearly complete as they are only a player or 2 away from being able to directly challenge the Cavs.

3. To you maybe. Lakers fans understand that the lottery doesn't guarantee anything and we know that our FO has plans in place for whatever outcome.

And again, Lakers fans would love for them to keep the pick, but know it's not the end of the world if they don't.