• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

It is time for a long term solution, and allow the basketball program to mirror...

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
...the football program.

Seth Greenberg has brought this program a long long way. He has brought it as far as he can though. It is also no secret that he skips back and forth across the grey line in some of his practices off the court as well.

I have been watching this guy build a program right here in Pittsburgh very closely. He is a Hokie. He caries himself like a Hokie. Virginia Tech, an ACC program on the rise would be a terminal destination for him, and he could build it to be just as competitive as any other in the country.

Let's bring him in here.

It's time....

Player Bio: Ron Everhart - DUQUESNE OFFICIAL ATHLETIC SITE

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
...the football program.

Seth Greenberg has brought this program a long long way. He has brought it as far as he can though. It is also no secret that he skips back and forth across the grey line in some of his practices off the court as well.

I have been watching this guy build a program right here in Pittsburgh very closely. He is a Hokie. He caries himself like a Hokie. Virginia Tech, an ACC program on the rise would be a terminal destination for him, and he could build it to be just as competitive as any other in the country.

Let's bring him in here.

It's time....

Player Bio: Ron Everhart - DUQUESNE OFFICIAL ATHLETIC SITE
I say this in spite of the fact that it looks like VT will flop AGAIN down the stretch...
I can't say I agree or disagree with you 46. Coming from the Big East cellar to a program who is competing in the ACC its hard to really be too hard on Greenburg. I agree he may have brought VT as far as they can go, but are they really ever going to get to the level that Duke and UNC have been, and always will be? I share in the sentiment that they should at the very least, not be fighting their asses off to get in the NCAA's every year but a top 5 finish in the ACC the last few years is respectable. The jury is out, but I say give him a couple more years (and I think VT will). I think the last couple years (this one in particular) he will have brought in his best recruiting class..lets see what he can do with that. Don't know much about Everhart but wouldn't he possibly be an option in the near future? I think IF Greenburg doesn't work out that they have built a good enough program to where they should be able to bring in someone with a strong resume, even if it isn't Everhart. It would be great to have a TRUE Hokie running he show though...

Last edited by a moderator:

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
IMO greenburg is an excellent recruiter and good at coaching his system, but doesnt know how to control the game from the bench. What i mean is he doesnt use TO's to slow down hot teams, we dont switch things up on D near enough, and we dont run enough "set" plays on offense.

Overall i like seth as a coach but there are some areas where he could improve. IMO though i put these last 2 games (clemson especially) on the players. We have showed no "want to" after beating duke. I put that on the players myself, you cant coach desire.

Sidenote: i love the mix of the kids coming in and the guys that will remain on the roster. Imo though VT doesnt make it to the "next level" until we find a true center. I know davilla, chaney, and raines all have some height (6'8"-6'9") but we need a 6'10"+ guy with some bulk who can battle under the basket. FWIW i dont know if you guys compared but as a team we are pretty short in the ACC.

uVa: a 7'er,

BC: 6'10",

Duke: 3 guys 6'10",

unc: a 6'10" and a 7'er,

NCST: seven footer,

fla st: 2 6'10" guys and a 7 footer,

miami: 2 6'10"+,

maryland: 2 6'10",

GT: 2 6'10",

clemson: 7'3" guy

davila is our tallest guy this year at 6'8" chaney and raines are 6'9"

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I may have been a bit reactionary. I guess part of my issue with Seth is some of the stuff that I have heard about him on the recruiting train. In addition, I have alwys felt that he would move on for another high level positon. I know he did not go to St. Johns but a bigger program (St. Johns is good but does not have a ton to spend on a coach) could pull him away. I am especially concerned should Calhoun or Boeheim decide to hang up the sport coat. Everhart, on the other hand, I think, would make VT his legacy. I am hokiecentric, for sure, but I don't know. The way these last two games have gone was just to predictable for me.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
46 i'll be honest with you man i know exactly where you were coming from. Its frustrating isnt it? Beating a team like Duke just makes these losses even worse. Thats kinda been the story with VT bball the past couple years: Good enough to play with anyone yet sloppy enough to blow several games every year also.

I dont know how loyal to VT seth is, but in my biased opinion VT has as much to offer as anyone else (short of the the major bball powers).

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
46 i'll be honest with you man i know exactly where you were coming from. Its frustrating isnt it? Beating a team like Duke just makes these losses even worse. Thats kinda been the story with VT bball the past couple years: Good enough to play with anyone yet sloppy enough to blow several games every year also.

I dont know how loyal to VT seth is, but in my biased opinion VT has as much to offer as anyone else (short of the the major bball powers).

Both of you make some great points. VT has been way too inconsistent the last few years and that needs to change. I think the injuries and lack of depth have greatly hurt them this year. But you are right, they don't seem all that motivated to me either and often look like they are just going through the motions, no sense of urgency. They truly could use a big time center, or at least someone who can play great defense under the basket, get some boards and just be somehwat of an intimidating prsence there. It looks like the Hokies will more than likely fall short of the NCAA's again barring a big run in the ACCT. Rest assured 46 that if they don't bring it the next year or two (I look for a pretty big dropoff next year) :pray:, that Greenburg will be out.

Cobrabit

Resident Polymath
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,041.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am interested in seeing how this next recruiting class does. We have shown the talent to play with anyone in the nation, but we also play down to and below inferior opponents. I understand that we have a very short bench this year due to injuries and that has played a role in the weak legs recently, but it's just so damn frustrating to see us beat the #1 team in the nation one night and then completely flop in two winnable games to lock up a bid.

I really don't know the answer. We'll never be the Dukes/UNCs of this world and compete for a National Title year in and year out, but I could see us as a 'consistent' 4-7 seed team that could win the ACC and could have a great stretch making the Final Four. Seth has done a terrific job at getting us to a competitive team in the ACC from the cellar of the Big East that he probably deserves another season (or two) to see how he does with this next class. If we fall short again, it may be time to switch it up a little.

It's great to have competitive teams in both BB and FB, but we all know the frustration of not finishing it all off.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My thing is this....

Florida would never become the next Kentucky

Oklahoma would never become the next Kansas/Texas

West Virginia would never become the next UCONN/Cuse

Ohio State would never become the next Indiana/Michigan State

Oregon would never be the next UCLA or Arizona

These are all very true, and there is no doubt that those specific teams are the flag bearers of college basketball in their conference. However, in the past decade each of those other teams has ridden their football success and exposure to multiple #1 seeds, national titles and a hell of a lot better than a series of "last 4 ins" and "last for outs". I see no reason why Virginia Tech with the right coach, and players (admittedly) can not follow in the path of the Buckeyes, Gators, Ducks and Sooners

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
since this is basically the only basketball thread over here, what do you guys think about next years team? I know we lose a lot with Bell, Allen, and Delaney but i think the guys coming in and the guys coming back from injury bring something also.

I think the mix between DFS and JT Thompson gives you everything T Bell did and maybe a little more. The mix between Robert Brown and Hudson give you two guys who can both shoot the rock and drive to the basket. Allen (my fav VT bballer all time) gives you a lot with his presence down low and his quick hands on D, but lets be honest his mentality has limited his minutes for years. Raines and Chaney(if healthy) should be able to fill his void under the basket and what he gives you everywhere else should be made up for by the overall talent this team will have.

I look at VT as a program on the rise. Not to many years ago going to the NIT was considered special, Now our goal is the NCAA, Hopefully we get there this year and not far from now we are hoping for an elite8 or final4. We have become somewhat of a "hot name" in BBall the past couple years, we are finally starting to recruit players that are equal to our competition, We have the facility's, fan support, etc, that we should continue that trend. Another class or two like the one we just had and we could do some really special things in BBALL, im really excited for where (i hope) we are headed.

bigesse16

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
My thing is this....

Florida would never become the next Kentucky

Oklahoma would never become the next Kansas/Texas

West Virginia would never become the next UCONN/Cuse

Ohio State would never become the next Indiana/Michigan State

Oregon would never be the next UCLA or Arizona

These are all very true, and there is no doubt that those specific teams are the flag bearers of college basketball in their conference. However, in the past decade each of those other teams has ridden their football success and exposure to multiple #1 seeds, national titles and a hell of a lot better than a series of "last 4 ins" and "last for outs". I see no reason why Virginia Tech with the right coach, and players (admittedly) can not follow in the path of the Buckeyes, Gators, Ducks and Sooners

All of those teams you've mentioned have had basketball histories that dwarf VT's history.

Florida has made the tourney 15 times, from 1987-2010. Their history is fairly new, but they have been very good the last twenty years, doing more than we have ever done.

Oklahoma, West Virginia, and Ohio State have very deep histories that are spread out over generations. They have always had a good basketball program, so it's not like their recent successes have come out of nowhere.

The closest comparison is Oregon. Their success has more to do with the Nike money than anything. When facilities, uniforms, etc are always new, it is easier to recruit talent.

It's frustrating watch this team possibly come up short again, but I don't think that change is necessary right now, nor do I think we should expect to see results like those kind of teams. This current senior class was a good recruiting class, but no one was that highly touted (maybe Allen), but we've followed them up with mediocre classes, which has screwed up our depth. Now, after this current class, and with Eddie and Garland, we have some nice young talent, but need to follow up with a great class in 2012. We need quality depth coming off the bench so our guys aren't exhausted at the end of the year. Our guys are playing more than anyone else because of our lack of depth (which has alot to do with injuries), but consistent recruiting can overcome that.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Right on cue, basketball picks up a big time commit.

David Teel (DavidTeelatDP) on Twitter

Harrell visited #Hokies for Duke game. RT @Cvillehoops13: Wow, so it's true, Montrezl Harrell commits to Virginia Tech

Montrezl Harrell Pictures and Photo Gallery - Yahoo! Sports

Scout.com: Montrezl Harrell Profile

Montrezl Harrell 2012 Basketball Recruiting Profile - ESPN

If can land a "big" who can play with his back to the basket from time to time and grab some boards VT basketball is going to be a force in a few years.:cheer2:

bigesse16

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Kid has a wingspan over 7'. Kid's an athlete and physical.

vtpoop

Same poop, different day
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know I'm in the minority, but I think with all the injuries and whatnot, Seth deserves at least another year. Especially with the recruiting class he's got coming in. Yes, we seem to be stuck in a rut, but we are light years ahead of where we were when Seth came to town. Granted, it gets frustrating always being stuck on the bubble. And is it just me, or does Delaney just seem to disappear in big games? What's up with that?

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know I'm in the minority, but I think with all the injuries and whatnot, Seth deserves at least another year. Especially with the recruiting class he's got coming in. Yes, we seem to be stuck in a rut, but we are light years ahead of where we were when Seth came to town. Granted, it gets frustrating always being stuck on the bubble. And is it just me, or does Delaney just seem to disappear in big games? What's up with that?

personally, i dont think seth should be on the hot seat in the least....to have us in the position we are in, sitting at #5 in the acc, just knocking off the #1 team in the country...and doing so with out 2 of our starters and 2 other scholarship players is pretty good.

i do not blame the BC or Clemson game on Greenberg, he can only do so much...no amount of coaching can change the lackluster play, Greenberg can get the guys up, and has plenty of times....but he can only do so much. From the sideline he cant make our guys stop the lazy passes resulting in 10+ turnovers in one half, he cant make the guys rebound, he cant make the shots go in....that is all on the players...

and if someone is playing bad, or needs a minute to calm down and try to get their game back....its not exactly like he can go to his bench this year...if delaney or greene need to come out, tyrone fucking garland comes in and commits 5 turnovers and 8 missed shots within 2 minutes (i hate him if you cant tell).

anyways, my point is this...IMO, all things considered, seth has done a great job with what he has got this year....sure we definitely should have won against BC and Clemson, or even if not won, we should have played much better...but again, terrible play like that i feel falls more to the players than greenberg.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Yeah i dont want it to sound like im saying get rid of seth, i think he has done huge things for VT basketball. Imo he's got another year or two of being a bubble team before his seat gets even a little warm.