• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is this how far our society has fallen???

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh ffs. Duties being slapped on and off commodities between the world's largest trading partners has been happening since time immemorial, and will continue whether or not there's negotiated 'free trade.' All 'free trade' does is offer up agreed upon mechanisms for resolving disputes.

Softwood lumber isn't directly 'subsidized' either. It's just a different way of determining the stumpage rate. It's a provincial jurisdiction, you know, just like the whole golden 'state's rights' in the US.

Protectionism happens both ways. The Montana beef industry took advantage of the 'mad cow' scare to block Canadian beef LONG after the all clear was given. That's just how business is done.

I get cranky when people try to pretend that there's some big mysterious gaming of the system going on, and America is always the poor victim. America is the 800 lb gorilla in the relationship, and the idea that it's America always getting bent over without lube is fucking ridiculous.

Trump throws out that nonsense to placate his base that doesn't know any better.

Canada and the US have had a long and profitable and MUTUALLY beneficial trading relationship for, well since Canada has been around. The system is set up as it is BECAUSE it benefitted America. Branch plants and resource flow.

To cry that the game is rigged against America is specious nonsense.

ARE there now and then advantages to be had either way? Of course there are. That's business.

If you can't handle it, get the fuck out of the board room.

No one said (including me) that America is the victim.

What I highlighted in red makes you look retarded. A country is being propped up and it isn't the USA.

As for the bold, practice what you preach.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bullshit. :stephena:

The timber in your part of Canadia is owned (thus subsidized) by the Canadian government and that is why the tariffs mostly target western concerns.

The Maritime Timber Companies are only being taxed at less that 4% because they are almost exclusively private concerns.

Pretty comical that you and the angry Canook, @chf are telling me to do some fucking research :L

Of course , if your dollar didn't suck your commie fucking gumming might not be so inclined to try to game the system. Sucks for you that our little Marxist dictator wannabe is on permanent vacation and things are bit different, eh?

Fake facts Rex, you sure you aren't Trump incognito?

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Society is pretty pathetic, but this is just another far left media outlet here.. And everyone is catching on that the media is a joke and not trustworthy.

You think people will pick up TIME in the future and read it? Hell I haven't read it for years or even look at the pics

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No one said (including me) that America is the victim.

What I highlighted in red makes you look retarded. A country is being propped up and it isn't the USA.

As for the bold, practice what you preach.

Dude, I ain't whining about America being the 800 lb gorilla, neither am I trying to score cheap political points by boo-hoo'ing about America.

What the fuck don't you understand about resource hinterlands and branch plants?

Besides everything you don't read on bumper stickers?

Fact. America has the world's #1 economy
Fact. America and Canada have the #1 trading partnership.

But yeah, the relationship is set up to screw America.

Pull your head out of your ass where you're finding those bullshit emoji's that you think pass for wit and/or a relevant point.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So if I own something I subsidize any industry that comes out of it? Huh... someone should put that in ECON textbooks.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty comical that you and the angry Canook, @chf are telling me to do some fucking research :L

I'm as American as you are.

Heh. Educate yourself on why America LOVES the Canadian dollar being low. It goes back to that whole resource funnel/branch plant dynamic.

You'd know that if you had two brain cells to rub together.

Commie.... heh. Canadians work just as hard as Americans.

You know what's even funnier, who the fuck do you think Trump is trying to protect with the softwood tariffs? The tiny amount of people in the US who work in lumber? Or the MUCH larger number of Americans who work in house construction and trades? Or how about the US consumer who will pay higher prices to make up for the tariff?

From wikipedia - softwood lumber dispute

As the largest market, the U.S. is heavily dependent on Canada's lumber. The needs of the country outweigh the domestic supply. With the housing market on a rebound,[when?] this demand is growing.

bolded emphasis mine

Btw, the answer to my rhetorical question above is 'none of the above.' He's protecting a few 1%'ers who own US sawmills.