• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is ND’s athletic director retarded?

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Conference title game is pointless a lot of the time. You may be playing a team who is borderline a top 25 team so what is that proving

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^^^This^^^

Yes, as an independent, they avoid CCG's. But, imo, they make up for it by always having a challenging schedule. They could load it up with cupcakes, but they don't. As long as that continues, I see no reason to not include them.
The current situation works well. They get 5 ACC games, Stanford and USC, some OOC mixed in (future schedules have OSU Alabama Texas A&M, and this year Wisconsin).

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My daughter was at the game and a ND fan was next to her. We say "Roll Tide" after every 1st down. By the end of the half, he turned to her and said, "I need more beer. A LOT more beer. Can I buy you a beer? I can't hear RT again without more beer".

She doesn't drink beer but thanked him anyway.
Ha! That’s awesome. Gallows humor is my favorite

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol. Sadly Brian is no John McKay

Brian Kelly jokes Notre Dame players ‘need to be executed’ after thrilling win​

Haha, BK needs to understand that he’s not funny. He’s a cringey level of socially awkward when he tries to crack jokes.

lol

I don't think he understood how perfectly that line was set up for McKay by the question he was asked.

Reporter: "What do you think about your teams execution?"

McKay: "I'm in favor of it."

Plus, if memory serves, he said that about one of his Buccaneers teams not a team of college kids.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol

I don't think he understood how perfectly that line was set up for McKay by the question he was asked.

Plus, if memory serves, he said that about one of his Buccaneers teams not a team of college kids.
I’m only 45 so I missed his career but I love John McKay stories. Great coach and a great man. I have much respect for USC and think you guys deserve better than Helton. What are your thoughts on him?

bamagrad75

Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol

It was Tampa Bay.

There are just guys who can deliver a line, McKay, Spurrier...

Some of McKay best work

We didn’t tackle well today, but we made up for it by not blocking.

Emotion is highly overrated in football. My wife Corky is emotional as hell but can’t play football worth a damn.

Namath is still Namath, but I must say that our guys were nice to him. I noticed when they knocked him down; they helped him to his feet. That was gentlemanly. I thought one stood around long enough to get his autograph.”

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol

I hear you but the fact that people took him seriously is beyond me. Like i get the times we are in but it was clearly sarcasm

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hear you but the fact that people took him seriously is beyond me. Like i get the times we are in but it was clearly sarcasm
I’m just glad it’s Toledo week because this will be a level of distraction as he talks to media and stuff this week.

bamagrad75

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Different times, I guess.

Too many people with no sense of humor who take everything literally.

bamagrad75

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good land of the living. I'm reading some twitter feeds right now and in spite of people explaining the McKay reference, there are still people taking it seriously.

Should there be a minimum IQ requirement to get a twitter account?

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m only 45 so I missed his career but I love John McKay stories. Great coach and a great man. I have much respect for USC and think you guys deserve better than Helton. What are your thoughts on him?

McKay or Helton? lol

Seriously though, I like Helton. From everything I've read and heard, pretty much everyone likes him. I think his biggest problem (and it could still be his undoing) has been that he was too loyal for too long, to assistants who weren't getting the job done. Head coaches at that level, don't do a lot of actual coaching. So they have to have assistant coaches that can develop players.

That was actually Pete Carroll's greatest strength. He had a good eye for young coaching talent. He'd hire them and then let them do their jobs. If they were getting the job done, he'd increase their responsibilities and promote them. If they weren't, he'd replace them.

Imo, this has to be Helton's "make or break" year. The only reason he's lasted this long was because a previous AD (Lynn Swann, I believe) gave him a buyout that I'm not sure Saban could get from Alabama, then just as it became more manageable, Covid hit.

So he has to do something this year. Bohn helped him upgrade his entire coaching staff, they poached one of the best recruiters in the country from Oregon and upgraded everything around recruiting. Their schedule sets up pretty well. They don't face Oregon or Washington ( not playing UW looks like less of a big deal now. lol), 2 of their 4 toughest games are at home and one of the road games (ND) doesn't effect the PAC-12 standings.

So, as much as I like him, I think that the worst he can do and still keep his job would be a close loss in the PACCCG and I'm not convinced that would be enough.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
McKay or Helton? lol

Seriously though, I like Helton. From everything I've read and heard, pretty much everyone likes him. I think his biggest problem (and it could still be his undoing) has been that he was too loyal for too long, to assistants who weren't getting the job done. Head coaches at that level, don't do a lot of actual coaching. So they have to have assistant coaches that can develop players.

That was actually Pete Carroll's greatest strength. He had a good eye for young coaching talent. He'd hire them and then let them do their jobs. If they were getting the job done, he'd increase their responsibilities and promote them. If they weren't, he'd replace them.

Imo, this has to be Helton's "make or break" year. The only reason he's lasted this long was because a previous AD (Lynn Swann, I believe) gave him a buyout that I'm not sure Saban could get from Alabama, then just as it became more manageable, Covid hit.

So he has to do something this year. Bohn helped him upgrade his entire coaching staff, they poached one of the best recruiters in the country from Oregon and upgraded everything around recruiting. Their schedule sets up pretty well. They don't face Oregon or Washington ( not playing UW looks like less of a big deal now. lol), 2 of their 4 toughest games are at home and one of the road games (ND) doesn't effect the PAC-12 standings.

So, as much as I like him, I think that the worst he can do and still keep his job would be a close loss in the PACCCG and I'm not convinced that would be enough.
Good assessment. College football is always better when programs like USC are rocking so I’m hoping you guys have a nice season…save one game of course haha.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good assessment. College football is always better when programs like USC are rocking so I’m hoping you guys have a nice season…save one game of course haha.

Yeah, there are just certain programs where college football is just better when those teams are relevant. I guess that's pretty much true in all sports. Even if it's a team that you don't like...it just makes it sweeter when they lose. lol

To be clear, my opinion of of Helton (other than him being genuinely well liked as a person), is not shared by most USC fans. Most would celebrate if he were gone tomorrow. lol

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, there are just certain programs where college football is just better when those teams are relevant. I guess that's pretty much true in all sports. Even if it's a team that you don't like...it just makes it sweeter when they lose. lol

To be clear, my opinion of of Helton (other than him being genuinely well liked as a person), is not shared by most USC fans. Most would celebrate if he were gone tomorrow. lol
That’s why I like talking sports with you. You have unique takes and opinions. It isn’t cookie cutter stuff. You’re your own man with your sports stuff.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That’s why I like talking sports with you. You have unique takes and opinions. It isn’t cookie cutter stuff. You’re your own man with your sports stuff.

Thanks. Same with you re: your opinions.

Obviously, I've never coached at the college level. But I did coach high school basketball and it completely changed the way I watch games and look at coaching. Even at the high school level, the game is much faster on the sidelines than it is in the stands.

Fans are in the stands yelling things like "Do you even spend any time on defense?" While you're in the huddle yelling "We just spent all week practicing that defense." lol

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks. Same with you re: your opinions.

Obviously, I've never coached at the college level. But I did coach high school basketball and it completely changed the way I watch games and look at coaching. Even at the high school level, the game is much faster on the sidelines than it is in the stands.

Fans are in the stands yelling things like "Do you even spend any time on defense?" While you're in the huddle yelling "We just spent all week practicing that defense." lol
Nice! I have the same deal with high school football coaching. It really does change the way you process all sports.

All-Star Benchwarmer

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,979.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At worst I’d say yes. At best, he’s stuck in a different time. Nobody goes on the road into a tough environment week one. It’s fucking stupid. We don’t need the money, we have nothing to prove. It makes no fucking sense. Stay at home and play Oklahoma, play Nebraska, play Tulane if you have too. Don’t travel across the country and play on the road.

If you are an independent in college football and want to state that you should be in the championship at the end of the season, that is exactly what you should do. Go into a hostile environment, get a win, and make a case. If you want to be a champion, you need to be a champion, whether it's at home or on the road.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i've seen no mention of this here but it seems to me that fsu comeback should have never happened, it was made possible by the poor call on fsu running into the kicker that drew only a 5 year penalty. if you saw the play you know it was as blatant as that foul could be. do you need to also shoot the kicker to get the 15 yards?
having said that i'm not making excuses to nd's horrible play after that. imo they deserved to lose that game. but still ... the comeback should never have happened.

Ron G

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol. Sadly Brian is no John McKay

Brian Kelly jokes Notre Dame players ‘need to be executed’ after thrilling win​

Good land of the living. I'm reading some twitter feeds right now and in spite of people explaining the McKay reference, there are still people taking it seriously.

Should there be a minimum IQ requirement to get a twitter account?
If only!

Ron G

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i've seen no mention of this here but it seems to me that fsu comeback should have never happened, it was made possible by the poor call on fsu running into the kicker that drew only a 5 year penalty. if you saw the play you know it was as blatant as that foul could be. do you need to also shoot the kicker to get the 15 yards?
having said that i'm not making excuses to nd's horrible play after that. imo they deserved to lose that game. but still ... the comeback should never have happened.
I will, in the future, never know the difference between running into the kicker and roughing the kicker. The announcer said there was no malicious intent. Did not know intent was part of a penalty. I suspect that very few false starts are intentional.