• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is Kirby Smart, Mark Richt 2.0???

potzer25

The most eubillicant poster.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,909.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This thread could be summarized as: UGA is UGA

Deathroll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Smart has definitely improved UGA and his recruiting classes have been impressive. But, like with Richt, it seems like there is a cap on the level of success they can achieve. Maybe that's Kirby Smart's fault, but I doubt it because it has transcended multiple coaches over a period of almost 40 years. What gives? Is it just shit luck and playing in a tough conference or could it be something institutional? They can get right to the pinnacle of success, but cant get the rest of the way.

I'd love to hear thoughts on the topic because UGA's plight is one of the more fascinating in all of sports 2me.

Its because Georgia sucks.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
people forget that Richt's first 6-7 years were really great. If Richt kept that kind of consistency in his later years, then he wouldn't have been let go in 2015. i still think he would have been retired by now, b/c church and family had always been his #1 priority. I think Smart's #1 priority is football which is why i think he'll have more longevity than Richt.

If you take his first 6 seasons, he averaged a little over 10 wins a year. The following 9 seasons, he averaged 9.3 wins a year.

Richt wasn't let go because he wasn't consistently winning, it's because Smart was a better option IMO. They wanted what Bama had, and from what I've heard Smart was their best recruiter (it appears to be the case with the recruiting classes at UGA so far).

Obviously if Richt had won a few more conference championships, won a few more rivalry games, and played in a national title game or two, he would never have been let go, but he was Mr. Consistency in the wins column from my perspective. UGA rolled the dice letting him go, and they won BIG TIME with Smart. Now, they will see if Smart dan keep the players coming, and win some big games in the future.