• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is Golden on the money?

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why? To make you happy? The goal is to get guys to stay away from that crap, not to amuse the fans. Browner's never playing in a Seahawks uniform again and Thurmond cost himself some big bucks. Hopefully everyone's gotten the point that there's certain rules you need to follow if you're going to play in the league then you have to follow them. Flippin Aaron Hernandez should have been called out many times over the years but the Pats rewarded his shady act with a massive contract.

If you know your teammates will call you out like you deserve to be, maybe you think twice. If they act like it's just an innocent mistake, cutting the guy after the fact or not, there's less motivation not to do it.

Hernandez is clearly a shitty person, but he did nothing to warrant publicly be called out until what actually got him released. There was never a single story about his past until the big one.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They aren't airing the laundry. It is already aired. He is just commenting that this behavior is not acceptable. Other leaders should have done the same.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They aren't airing the laundry. It is already aired. He is just commenting that this behavior is not acceptable. Other leaders should have done the same.

Pandering to the media is not leadership. Talk man to man with your teammates and get back on the grind. If it happens again, rinse and repeat. Great leaders keep things in house because when it comes down to it, those are the ONLY people that matter in the scenario. If you're losing because of something that a teammate did, then you might owe the fans a cookie, but they're not losing.

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pandering to the media is not leadership. Talk man to man with your teammates and get back on the grind. If it happens again, rinse and repeat. Great leaders keep things in house because when it comes down to it, those are the ONLY people that matter in the scenario. If you're losing because of something that a teammate did, then you might owe the fans a cookie, but they're not losing.

Did you get a chance to listen to the podcast? I think the context of what's written regarding what Tate said is actually worser than what he actually said. He just happen to be an opinionated person and he answered the question honestly.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not pandering to the media. It's making it clear to everyone that this is not acceptable. Real leaders don't defend someone clearly in the wrong.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not pandering to the media. It's making it clear to everyone that this is not acceptable. Real leaders don't defend someone clearly in the wrong.

Who's defending them?

Not making public statements about them being selfish is not the same as defending them. You dont know what's being said behind closed doors, but the fact that they have won in the face of this same situation leads me to believe that they know how to deal with the locker room when these things happen.

All I want from my team is to roll with the punches and keep winning. The rest is just drama.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you know your teammates will call you out like you deserve to be, maybe you think twice. If they act like it's just an innocent mistake, cutting the guy after the fact or not, there's less motivation not to do it.

Hernandez is clearly a shitty person, but he did nothing to warrant publicly be called out until what actually got him released. There was never a single story about his past until the big one.

One guy got a 4 game suspension and one guy is looking at an entire season. WTF does saying something to the press accomplish? Believe it or not, being a NFL player is a job.

Really? Where were the stories about Browner or Thurmond? They got caught, were suspended, and are now out of the picture. That's how the rules work. Why give some half assed "We're so ashamed of them and personal responsability, and blah, blah, blah". I'm pretty sure they got the point. It's not like having their names in the newspaper or having to read some bs twitters about the situation is going to have a bigger impact than that.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You don't think having their teammate publicly call them out means anything?

Pretty much everyone else has said the opposite, and that that makes it inappropriate.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You don't think having their teammate publicly call them out means anything?

Pretty much everyone else has said the opposite, and that that makes it inappropriate.

Yes, it does mean something. It means that the locker room isn't tight enough to handle things in-house. Why talk to a reporter when the guy's locker is like 10 feet away from yours?

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am a huge fan of handling most everything in house. But this is worth addressing publicly. It's no locker room spat or Jonathan Martin being a whiny pussy. It's a player smearing your teams's reputation with a violation of the substance policy, and you have to speak publicly to address just this aspect of it already. You should be publicly calling the player out while you do so. Make it very clear your team will not accept this behavior.

If you don't think these kinds of suspensions present very real issues both on and off the field you're nuts.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rightly or wrongly, this organization is quickly gaining the reputation of an organization with no accountability when it comes to illegal substances, performance enhancing or otherwise. As soon as the news of Thurmond's suspension came out, the jokes and the stupid nicknames started flying again. It's happened enough times that the consensus is that, again, rightly or wrongly, nobody in that locker room cares to stop it or even acknowledge that it's a problem. Tate said that these guys weren't awful people, but that they made a selfish decision and he's right. I'm sure Browner and Thurmond are great guys, but they messed up and their teammates shouldn't have to hide their disappointment in those selfish decisions because of some player's code that what happens in the locker room, stays in the locker room. Browner and Thurmond took it out of the locker room when they tested positive for something they knew they'd be suspended for. This wasn't something that was done behind closed doors that Tate himself brought out into the public. It was public already and Tate shared his feelings on it without painting the teammates who made it a public issue by testing positive as horrible people. I see nothing wrong with that.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm in favor of keeping dirty laundry in house, but this needs to be put out in the open given the circumstances that these problems have been ongoing and players don't want to listen. I don't have a problem with what Tate said and i'm glad he did so the point gets across to others who maybe thinking of doing something stupid that would hurt the team.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm in favor of keeping dirty laundry in house, but this needs to be put out in the open given the circumstances that these problems have been ongoing and players don't want to listen. I don't have a problem with what Tate said and i'm glad he did so the point gets across to others who maybe thinking of doing something stupid that would hurt the team.

IDK.

I know that these problems have been ongoing. But until it affects the win-loss column keep it in house.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By it's not in house. Fair or not you have a reputation. You had the reputation before these two most recent suspensions. You have to address it.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I care more about à réputation for winning than this. Who cares what others are saying? It is à problem, but it is the Seahawks problem, nobody elses. And as long as they keep winning I'm not going to question their ability to handle the locker room.

If when ever they had these suspensions they were causing massive holes and they were dropping games I would agree that something would need to be said. But they dont skip à beat and you could argue that they play even better. That comes from leadership and thats what really matters.

Winning is the only public statement this team should be worried about. And the other posters are right, the full context of Tate's statements implies this. And the way that the rest of the team is handling it makes me think thats where they are too.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By it's not in house. Fair or not you have a reputation. You had the reputation before these two most recent suspensions. You have to address it.

I couldn't care less about our "reputation". Back in the 80's a 300 lb'er in the league was rare. Now anything underneath that makes you undersized on the offensive line. How the hell does that happen? I don't think I'd take the 85 bears against a team like Alabama, let alone a NFL team because they're giving up too much weight at the LOS. The whole league has a substance abuse. We just happened to get caught more than other teams over the last 2 years.

Anybody that doesn't think their team is loaded with cheaters is kidding themselves. Let's see what these guys look like when the league actually adopts a comprehensive drug testing policy instead of the joke system that's in place right now. It really could turn the league upside down.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I couldn't care less about our "reputation". Back in the 80's a 300 lb'er in the league was rare. Now anything underneath that makes you undersized on the offensive line. How the hell does that happen? I don't think I'd take the 85 bears against a team like Alabama, let alone a NFL team because they're giving up too much weight at the LOS. The whole league has a substance abuse. We just happened to get caught more than other teams over the last 2 years.

Anybody that doesn't think their team is loaded with cheaters is kidding themselves. Let's see what these guys look like when the league actually adopts a comprehensive drug testing policy instead of the joke system that's in place right now. It really could turn the league upside down.

You don't care, but it can have a large impact on the franchise being able to be successful. PR has a large impact on on the field success over time.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You don't care, but it can have a large impact on the franchise being able to be successful. PR has a large impact on on the field success over time.

No it doesn't. This is the NFL. If you're willing to pay then the players are going to show up because that's how it works with the cap, non-guaranteed contracts, and short careers. And what would the players prefer anyway? Getting blasted in the press by their coaches and teammates or these things being handled in house.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It affects the bottom line financially, which affects the ability to pay coaches and other personnel. It absolutely has an impact.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It affects the bottom line financially, which affects the ability to pay coaches and other personnel. It absolutely has an impact.

No, losses have an impact. Ray Lewis involved in an incident that left two people dead. Two titles later he's in the broadcast booth. Big Ben gets accused of r*pe in what was at best a really sleazy move by him and Rooney, who's supposed to be a class act, gives a bunch of lip service about it but keeps him on the roster because he was irreplaceable at the time.

You know what impacts the bottom line? LOSING. Thinking it's anything else is very naive. Professional sports is a seedy business where a lot of marginal human beings make a really good living because they're athletic freaks. Class has nothing to do with it.