• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is Cam Newton a great (or even good?) QB at doing what QB's are paid to do, throw?

Is Cam Newton a great (or even good?) QB at doing what QB's are paid to do, throw?

• Yes, he is a good to great thrower of the football

• No, he isnt a good to great thrower of the football.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

again, throwing...its what QB's get paid to do. so, lets focus on Quarterbacking...i.e throwing.

lets look at just this year, where is is (cough cough) an MVP candidate. Yes, he's missing receivers. Injuries happen.

56.3%
84.8 rating
226 YPG throwing

completion % - hes 29th in the NFL
yards - he's 21st
yards per game - he's 26th
Rating - 21st

So, as far as THROWING THE FOOTBALL (what a QB is paid to do) is Cam Newton a good to even GREAT quarterback?

Quarterback
Quarterback
Quarterback...

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
vote and discuss

again, THROWING the football...what a QB is paid to do.

join me, @DirtDirtDirt

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
cam newton seen here celebrating a recent TD run:

vYtvpWp.gif

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so, can you vote?

is cam a good thrower of the football?

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Strange, I always thought they were paid to help their team win games.
yup, but primarily throw the football. i can provide metrics to show this to you if necessary (say, throws vs runs per game on avg for a QB). you will see a majority of the plays involve throwing.

you should vote and display your vote.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I always thought that a QB did whatever it took to help win the game for his team. If throwing is all that matters then for a long time Stafford was a very elite QB throwing for over 5000 yards.

I mean guys like John Elway and Steve Young were known as QB's that could beat you with both their arm and legs and it helped them win plenty of Super Bowls. Russell Wilson's legs just helped win him a Super Bowl just a couple of years ago. Ben Roethlisberger while not known for taking off running has used his legs plenty to make plays that no other QB in the league can do as consistently as him.

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ok, so is cam a good thrower of the football?

its a very very simple question.

i mentioned "throwing" enough times to make it apparent.

Jakology

I don't give a fuck
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,125.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
CamNewtonTedGinn.gif
camyu.gif
giphy.gif
I can't find the one of him throwing off his back foot perfectly to Ginn only for him to drop. Only the drop part, but I'm sure everyone remembers it.
ginn.0.gif

Please actually study a player and how he actually plays before judging him on stats alone. Stats do not tell the entire story more often than not. You have eyes. Watch.

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
vote and discuss

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
View attachment 53332
View attachment 53333
View attachment 53334
I can't find the one of him throwing off his back foot perfectly to Ginn only for him to drop. Only the drop part, but I'm sure everyone remembers it.
View attachment 53335

Please actually study a player and how he actually plays before judging him on stats alone. Stats do not tell the entire story more often than not. You have eyes. Watch.
i ask again

also, did you vote?

Balljim55

Abnormally Average
Hoopla Cash
$ 35,250.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #3
The flaw in your question is that he is not paid to just throw the ball. He is paid to do what he does which includes run the ball and cause match up nightmares for Defensive coordinators. He is paid to read defenses and get the offense in position to make a successful play. He audibles about 40% of the time. What he is doing, in conjunction with the rest of the team is translating into wins. I absolutely would like to see his completion % come up, which btw it was over 80 % last week.
The bottom line is what he is doing seems to be working very well by all accounts other than your simplistic way of viewing things.

Jakology

I don't give a fuck
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,125.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i ask again

also, did you vote?

Yes Cam is a great thrower of the ball. Yes I voted. Hell, I could even go back to Auburn and show you plenty of NFL throws. But I know that 97% of you don't even care to watch film of players, so carry on.

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd like to see what he could do with NFL caliber receivers.... which he does not have at present.
he had them last year and years before.

hes not a rookie lol

going into this year when he had steve smith and/or kelvin benjamin, etc

85.4 rating
59.5% comp

not far off this years throwing numbers.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ok, so is cam a good thrower of the football?

its a very very simple question.

i mentioned "throwing" enough times to make it apparent.

So you are only focusing on one part of what makes up Cam Newton and why he has helped his team be an undefeated team this year. You are also not taking into account who he is throwing to. You are looking at this in such a small vacuum that you are missing the very big picture. Pretty much you are trying to force people to vote the way you want them to vote by only focusing on one part of his game while also not looking at what he has around him.

Cam will never be a top-10 QB in accuracy. That is just not him. He doesn't have to be to win though. Because he can make big plays with his legs and because a lot of his throws do seem to be of the deeper variety (he is 4th in air yards per attempt). He also has the 4th fewest percentage of his yards being after the catch meaning his receivers are not getting a ton of separation. So he is having to throw it further than most just to get yards this season.

So again when looking at it with the vacuum you have set up here then no he is not a good passer of the football. When you begin to expand the view a bit he isn't as bad as you are trying to make him out to be.