• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Irish, 2015?

NDKane21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Word on the "street" MZ is pushing 230 now...oh my!!! For the first time since I can remember EVERY offensive position has competition. QBs, RBs, WRs and OL are all battling for time...that is great for development and depth. I think, and am hopefully, maturation really catches up and this offense is GREAT.

Defense, not so much. Should be better, but a lot of "what ifs". First off, the CBs should be studs, Luke and KVR are both NFL players (as purguy has noted). Safety I'm worried...Sebastian is smash mouth against the run, great against the option teams and ST, but coverage I'm not sure about...his tape is all run stopping (for a reason I think). And I really doubt any of us have seen much of Cal. football to get a true evaluation. Shumate and Redfield need to be healthy, consistent and good.

LB, well Mike especially, should be better. We go from none...to three in the middle all of a sudden. Schmidt, Morgan, Grace and don't forget Martini (fourth)...should be more than serviceable. Jaylon Smith speaks for itself and there are many others to fill the other side.

D-line is full of those "what ifs"...I can go on for days. Sheldon Day is Sheldon Day, the staple and the leader, but injured often. Rochell and Jones I'd like to see step up. The others..."what if"...someone(s) really needs to develop into a true pass rusher!! We have a lot of young talent, let's hope it comes together...

My thoughts...interested in others, please? GO IRISH!!

CreepCreep2014

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For me, I am not to worried about the Offense. I think they will be very explosive and should give some help to the defense, esp if we decide to run the ball more. I love the WR core, very deep and talented. No issues on this side for me.

I think the CB will be fine as you said. S concerns me. This is a big yr for Max. He is a big hitter, but for some reason he was in the dog house last yr. I never really found out why, but BK was not happy with his play. There is also not a lot of depth back there to speak of. I think think the front 7 will be OK. As long as we stay healthy with the studs, we have some very good depth on this team. Day, Jones, Hayes, Cage, Trumbetti should all be much better this season. I actually think Trumbetti will be the pass rusher we are all looking for. We also seem to have a few Freshman coming in that have good size. So again, health is they key for this group. LB core should be on of the best in the nation is you ask me. Morgan will be a yr old and more experience. I thought he grew a ton from the end of the season to the bowl game. Smith is Smith and this should be a break out yr for him. I also think these Freshman coming in will get a shot.

Kicking game....ugh....Has tooooooooooooooooo be better, it just has to.

Again for me this yr is health. This is the year I have been looking forward to seeing this team make a push for another NCG. They have the talent, lets see if they can pull it together.

NDKane21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For me, I am not to worried about the Offense. I think they will be very explosive and should give some help to the defense, esp if we decide to run the ball more. I love the WR core, very deep and talented. No issues on this side for me.

I think the CB will be fine as you said. S concerns me. This is a big yr for Max. He is a big hitter, but for some reason he was in the dog house last yr. I never really found out why, but BK was not happy with his play. There is also not a lot of depth back there to speak of. I think think the front 7 will be OK. As long as we stay healthy with the studs, we have some very good depth on this team. Day, Jones, Hayes, Cage, Trumbetti should all be much better this season. I actually think Trumbetti will be the pass rusher we are all looking for. We also seem to have a few Freshman coming in that have good size. So again, health is they key for this group. LB core should be on of the best in the nation is you ask me. Morgan will be a yr old and more experience. I thought he grew a ton from the end of the season to the bowl game. Smith is Smith and this should be a break out yr for him. I also think these Freshman coming in will get a shot.

Kicking game....ugh....Has tooooooooooooooooo be better, it just has to.

Again for me this yr is health. This is the year I have been looking forward to seeing this team make a push for another NCG. They have the talent, lets see if they can pull it together.

He played on his heels every down, and looked lost. He is my biggest concern...Martini looked much better. Morgan though, to your point, should be better as he has the most talent. Let's hope Schmidt stays healthy.

CreepCreep2014

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He played on his heels every down, and looked lost. He is my biggest concern...Martini looked much better. Morgan though, to your point, should be better as he has the most talent. Let's hope Schmidt stays healthy.

I agree, but I thought the jump he made from the end of the season to the bowl game was very noticeable. J Smith played like that the first 5 games he played as a Fresh, then just exploded at the end of the season. I think Morgan has that type of talent. He also did this vs a very good running team in LSU.

NDKane21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree, but I thought the jump he made from the end of the season to the bowl game was very noticeable. J Smith played like that the first 5 games he played as a Fresh, then just exploded at the end of the season. I think Morgan has that type of talent. He also did this vs a very good running team in LSU.

I think I might have just neg rep you...if I did, my bad...new format.

The bowl game he played was ok but not great. We still gave up points at will, although won with our offense scoring points at will. Fournette (sp?) granted had a lot to do with that. And stopping the run isn't his problem...pass protection, especially off play action, is.

Morgan (even though both are 5*) is not J. Smith. I have no doubt he'll turn into a super great LB eventually, comparing the two is not fair.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not as concerned as some with the D-Line or front seven. With all the injuries last year they've had a bunch of players gain experience to build on for this year.

NDKane21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not as concerned as some with the D-Line or front seven. With all the injuries last year they've had a bunch of players gain experience to build on for this year.

Damn it, I may have neg rep you too. What is that thing next to the reply button...?

I'm not so concerned either, ignoring the fact we have no one who can get the passer, besides that...we're good.

CreepCreep2014

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think I might have just neg rep you...if I did, my bad...new format.

The bowl game he played was ok but not great. We still gave up points at will, although won with our offense scoring points at will. Fournette (sp?) granted had a lot to do with that. And stopping the run isn't his problem...pass protection, especially off play action, is.

Morgan (even though both are 5*) is not J. Smith. I have no doubt he'll turn into a super great LB eventually, comparing the two is not fair.

Def not comparing them in terms of talent. More along the lines of when they get playing time, they tend to improve during that time, then it just clicks. Most of LSU points were either the pass or kick off, I thought so at least. Coverage is not an easy thing to learn, its takes time. I think he will be improved, but how much......have to wait and see!!

CreepCreep2014

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No neg reps on my end...LOL.

NDKane21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Def not comparing them in terms of talent. More along the lines of when they get playing time, they tend to improve during that time, then it just clicks. Most of LSU points were either the pass or kick off, I thought so at least. Coverage is not an easy thing to learn, its takes time. I think he will be improved, but how much......have to wait and see!!

Playing time doesn't work either...Smith earned his spot, Morgan filled in after injury. One ready to play, the other maybe not so much...and that is ok, now that it is "next year" and he got experience.

They always improve during time, undebateble..

NDKane21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Playing time doesn't work either...Smith earned his spot, Morgan filled in after injury. One ready to play, the other maybe not so much...and that is ok, now that it is "next year" and he got experience.

They always improve during time, undebateble..

Weird...

The always improve over time, that is for sure. Morgan has all the tools but we just need him to show it. He, to this point, is bad in coverage.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Word on the "street" MZ is pushing 230 now...oh my!!! For the first time since I can remember EVERY offensive position has competition. QBs, RBs, WRs and OL are all battling for time...that is great for development and depth. I think, and am hopefully, maturation really catches up and this offense is GREAT.

Defense, not so much. Should be better, but a lot of "what ifs". First off, the CBs should be studs, Luke and KVR are both NFL players (as purguy has noted). Safety I'm worried...Sebastian is smash mouth against the run, great against the option teams and ST, but coverage I'm not sure about...his tape is all run stopping (for a reason I think). And I really doubt any of us have seen much of Cal. football to get a true evaluation. Shumate and Redfield need to be healthy, consistent and good.

LB, well Mike especially, should be better. We go from none...to three in the middle all of a sudden. Schmidt, Morgan, Grace and don't forget Martini (fourth)...should be more than serviceable. Jaylon Smith speaks for itself and there are many others to fill the other side.

D-line is full of those "what ifs"...I can go on for days. Sheldon Day is Sheldon Day, the staple and the leader, but injured often. Rochell and Jones I'd like to see step up. The others..."what if"...someone(s) really needs to develop into a true pass rusher!! We have a lot of young talent, let's hope it comes together...

My thoughts...interested in others, please? GO IRISH!!
Yes we have a great CB duo. Safety play is still so so. LBs should be good and Dline shouldn't be bad. Oline should be really good. We have a great RBs and Wrs. I can't wait for the season.

NDKane21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes we have a great CB duo. Safety play is still so so. LBs should be good and Dline shouldn't be bad. Oline should be really good. We have a great RBs and Wrs. I can't wait for the season.

You just said what I said...LOL. :)

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Offensive skill shouldn't be a problem, but BK's play calling can always make or break a game. That will be most important to me.

awclayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On defense, I feel the huge problem is the 20+ yard plays. I don't know how many there were last year but it seemed like every time they needed a stop.....there goes the rb or WR catch and run for a huge gain (See ASU for the most frustrating example).

On offense, I am interested in seeing Bryant step up as a solid #2 back and Robinson progressing as a WR.

CreepCreep2014

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On defense, I feel the huge problem is the 20+ yard plays. I don't know how many there were last year but it seemed like every time they needed a stop.....there goes the rb or WR catch and run for a huge gain (See ASU for the most frustrating example).

On offense, I am interested in seeing Bryant step up as a solid #2 back and Robinson progressing as a WR.

I believe, and correct me if I'm wrong, but at that point vs ASU we had some Fresh in at S? I think MR was benched at that time? S was a huge issue last yr, hope they get that fixed. I am expecting big TD numbers from Robinson this yr.

awclayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The DB siuation was pretty much in flux the whole season, but even before the ASU game you can look at just about every game and see several runs and passes over 20+ yards, even rice broke big gainers. Watching the games I caught myself just waiting for the defense to give up the big play....except the Michigan game, dominating performance albeit over a very mediocre team.