• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Instead of a #2 WR...

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's just look at the offense, if that is the way Mayhew and the new coaching staff want to look this upcoming draft.

If the Lions are sitting there at #10 and Watkins is available, obviously a no brainer pick. Since Tavon Austin went #8 last draft, we can all be rest assured Watkins will go higher than him.

Are players like Mike Evans or Marqise Lee good enough to go at #10? That is definitely up for debate. What about thinking outside the box a bit. LaAdrian Waddle had been a revelation last season but if this Greg Robinson guy is available from Auburn. I think he shouldn't be passed on. Him and Warford on the right side could push our running game into the top ten and possibly top 5. Picking a guy like Robinson would allow us to pound teams into submission and set up big time play action passes to CJ.

Think after 5 years of Stafford throwing 40-50 times a game, we can all agree that is not a winning formula. Championship teams play good D and can pound the rock, SEA,CAR,SF,NE.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watkins is presumed by fans and the talking heads as a no brainer @ #10, based on his current grade or ranking of #4 draft prospect overall. I sure as hell do not rank Evans, Lee, Dennard or Gilbert in the top 20. Barr and Mack are questionable top 10 being better fits for 3-4 OLB, IMO. Barr was a fullback 2 years ago and is still learning his craft, while Mack had the easy schedule, although he flashed versus Ohio State. Robinson has 2 years starting as a LT, having come in as a high prospect OG. That kid is only scratching his potential, so long as he has a great O-Line coach. I sure as hell wouldn't be opposed to him being drafted at #10. He would instantly, even as a rookie, upgrade the O-Line, JMO.

Reiff is not LT material even though he played LT in college and this past year. Mayhew knows this as he and Schwartz both stated in the off-season that he could be moved inside. They didn't have the opportunity to draft one of the 3 LT's last year (Joeckle, Fisher, Johnson). He is more of a power blocker in the run game than a pass blocker, not that he is horrible. He belongs inside at OG, maybe RT.

LaAdrian Waddle had 40 starts as a LT at Texas Tech and that is his natural position, not RT. It can be a difficult transition for some OT's to move from LT to RT, for the simple reason of muscle/mind memory that every technique learned is reversed; kick-slide, reset,re-direct, mirroring. He had 2 starts as a frosh, 13 starts as a soph., 12 starts as a junior, and 13 starts as a senior. He never got the reps in training camp and was thrust into RT because of injuries. Now that he has had time to acclimate himself to the speed of NFL, I believe he and Reiff need to be flip-flopped. Waddle has better and quicker feet, longer arms, resets and re-directs better than Reiff. Reiff already had a year advantage on Waddle being drafted in 2012. I'm not saying Waddle played Pro-Bowl caliber, but he played much better than what was expected of him once he got game action.

If Robinson is available at #10 I'd take him before Watkins, for the sole purpose that we're relying on Stafford being better in 2014. You can get a near-clone of Watkins, Odell Beckham Jr. or Brandin Cooks in the 2nd round.

Drafting Robinson means you can slide Reiff inside at LG, Waddle can play LT or RT and cut R. Sims which saves 2.5 against the cap. Sounds like a power run game to me and better protection for Matty even if it takes half of 2014 to develop chemistry.

Lions=TeHsUcKs

Basketball School
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Barr falls to #10.. ABSOLUTE NO BRAINER PICK!

Dr. Evil-er

Mayhew for President 2016
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watkins is presumed by fans and the talking heads as a no brainer @ #10, based on his current grade or ranking of #4 draft prospect overall. I sure as hell do not rank Evans, Lee, Dennard or Gilbert in the top 20. Barr and Mack are questionable top 10 being better fits for 3-4 OLB, IMO. Barr was a fullback 2 years ago and is still learning his craft, while Mack had the easy schedule, although he flashed versus Ohio State. Robinson has 2 years starting as a LT, having come in as a high prospect OG. That kid is only scratching his potential, so long as he has a great O-Line coach. I sure as hell wouldn't be opposed to him being drafted at #10. He would instantly, even as a rookie, upgrade the O-Line, JMO.

Reiff is not LT material even though he played LT in college and this past year. Mayhew knows this as he and Schwartz both stated in the off-season that he could be moved inside. They didn't have the opportunity to draft one of the 3 LT's last year (Joeckle, Fisher, Johnson). He is more of a power blocker in the run game than a pass blocker, not that he is horrible. He belongs inside at OG, maybe RT.

LaAdrian Waddle had 40 starts as a LT at Texas Tech and that is his natural position, not RT. It can be a difficult transition for some OT's to move from LT to RT, for the simple reason of muscle/mind memory that every technique learned is reversed; kick-slide, reset,re-direct, mirroring. He had 2 starts as a frosh, 13 starts as a soph., 12 starts as a junior, and 13 starts as a senior. He never got the reps in training camp and was thrust into RT because of injuries. Now that he has had time to acclimate himself to the speed of NFL, I believe he and Reiff need to be flip-flopped. Waddle has better and quicker feet, longer arms, resets and re-directs better than Reiff. Reiff already had a year advantage on Waddle being drafted in 2012. I'm not saying Waddle played Pro-Bowl caliber, but he played much better than what was expected of him once he got game action.

If Robinson is available at #10 I'd take him before Watkins, for the sole purpose that we're relying on Stafford being better in 2014. You can get a near-clone of Watkins, Odell Beckham Jr. or Brandin Cooks in the 2nd round.

Drafting Robinson means you can slide Reiff inside at LG, Waddle can play LT or RT and cut R. Sims which saves 2.5 against the cap. Sounds like a power run game to me and better protection for Matty even if it takes half of 2014 to develop chemistry.

555:laugh3:

Rollingthndr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Damn, pretty ballzy there. Hopkins is a superior prospect to Tavon Austin based on size and production.Not sure if I would pick Robinson over him but I see your point. I would be a bit disappointed if we went Offense/Offense in the first two rounds. However the only two defensive players I feel 100% sure about in the top ten is Barr and Clowney.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I was just reading up on Robinson this morning and the one thing they said would be a weakness for him to start would be pass protection at the NFL level, as he didn't have to do it much at Auburn, as they ran the ball over and over.

So while I wouldn't be against drafting Robinson, I'm not sure if he would replace Reiff, who I think did a fine job this year at LT. What they did say about him is he is the best run blocking OL in the draft and that he would start immediately at RT for just about any team that drafts him.

The line played well this year, so not sure if drafting Robinson is a necessity. I'd much rather see them go with a WR to complement Calvin, as the offense was non-existent when Calvin was out and the WRs outside of Calvin struggled to get open, even though they were in man coverage much of the time.

If it isn't WR -- I'd like to see them get the best CB available, whoever they deem that to be, or the best OLB, whoever they deem that to be.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Barr falls to #10.. ABSOLUTE NO BRAINER PICK!

Do you think Barr would fit with the defense the Lions run? I think he is going to be a tremendous player, as they are just scratching the surface of his abilities. He just seems to be a better fit for a 3-4 defense, as he excels at rushing the passer, but is only 248 lbs (though they say he could easily add weight to his frame).

The part that blows my mind about Barr. They say he runs a 4.47 40 yard dash. That is crazy for a guy his size.

I think the one thing everyone here can agree on -- with the 10th pick in the draft -- Detroit should definitely get a tremendous player that can step in and help immediately.

If I had my choice -- I'd want Clowney 1st. After that, it'd be a toss up between Watkins, Barr, CJ Mosely, etc. I think Detroit's defense would be fierce with a tandem of Ansah and Clowney.

The ONE guy I do not want to see the Lions draft is Marquise Lee. He is coming off an injury and the Lions haven't faired well when drafted players who are coming off injuries. No need to take the risk with the 10th pick.

Rollingthndr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So while I wouldn't be against drafting Robinson, I'm not sure if he would replace Reiff, who I think did a fine job this year at LT. What they did say about him is he is the best run blocking OL in the draft and that he would start immediately at RT for just about any team that drafts him.

Not saying to have him replace Reiff. I am saying he can replace Waddle. Would love to see what he could do next to Warford as a ridiculous 1-2 punch to the running game on the right side.

Rollingthndr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you think Barr would fit with the defense the Lions run?

Doesn't matter. You take the stud and form your defense around him. Everyone thought Von Miller was strictly a 3-4 OLB, Denver drafted him to play SLB for their 4-3 and the rest is history. The next defensive coach will probably be much more creative than Schwartz and his rush 4 only clown defense.

Stomp

Lions Homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd be pretty happy with any of the 3 mentioned so far, but I'm guessing they'll all be off the board when we pick. At 10 we'll probably picking from Dennard, Mack, Moesely, Haha, Evans, Amaro, and Ebron.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doesn't matter. You take the stud and form your defense around him. Everyone thought Von Miller was strictly a 3-4 OLB, Denver drafted him to play SLB for their 4-3 and the rest is history. The next defensive coach will probably be much more creative than Schwartz and his rush 4 only clown defense.

As I said -- I wouldn't be upset if they drafted Barr. He seems to be a clone of Von Miller. If Detroit was going to change around what they do defensively -- I think he would be tremendous, but would it take away from the pieces they already have in place on the defensive line? Detroit doesn't really have the pieces necessary for a 3-4 defense.

Would be interesting to see what the Lions would do defensively if they did draft Barr. The guy has some pretty sick numbers. The 40 yard dash number he has and the fact he has only been playing on defense for 2 years screams that he could be a force with the right coaching.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we really do run a 3-4 then it's Mack or Barr. Whisenhunt proved he can turn a 3rd round WR (Keenan Allen) into a legit no.1 WR and we only need a legit no.2 so let's not burn a 1st on one!

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You mean like they should have done with suh and up to this point havent?

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope the lioms dont run a 3-4, as of now they dont have enough LBs to run a 4-3 competently.