• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Injuries and the playoff

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A lot of talk on here that OSU wouldnt get the nod over a TCU or a Baylor now because of the injury to JT Barrett. WHile that makes sense on some levels ( I mean its unlikely OSU will be as good with Jones as they were at the end of the year with Barrett ) how much value do you put on an injury?? If you are telling me that OSU should be completely discounted now because of that injury isnt it just as valid to say that OSU would likely be unbeaten if Braxton Miller hadnt gone down preseason?? I mean does anyone really think OSU loses the VT game if Miller is healthy?? I think there is a very thin line you have to walk when debating injured players. Football is a team game so its tough to say with any certainty how much or how little an injury affects a team. How much weight do you give to injuries when evaluating a teams season??

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I leave them out more for losing to VT than losing Barrett. They have a lot to prove this upcomming week in a game with Wisky though. I am not positive they win that game.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's call the resumes even at best. It is not just that OSU lost a QB. That is bad. I would kick Oregon out if Marriota broke his leg in a last second victory over Arizona,. OSU is much worse though. They lost their top 2 QBs. I am not sure they have a QB left if something happened to their current QB.

longhorn718

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,180.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe they figured Cardale will be able to jump in and run the offense no problem. I think they figured the game against Wisconsin would tell them what they really need to know. They're probably relieved there's one game left to see what happens instead of having to make the injury decision for the final ranking.

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ohio State should be able to clobber a god awful Tech team.

It shouldn't matter who their QB was at the time.

They were playing a horrible team AT HOME.

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ohio State should be able to clobber a god awful Tech team.

It shouldn't matter who their QB was at the time.

They were playing a horrible team AT HOME.

Right, because it makes total sense that you should be able to have a new quarterback and offensive line ready to roll in 2 weeks. :rollseyes:

If the 2 played now, there's no question Ohio State would clobber VT. It took a little while for Barrett and the offense to get on the same page. Gotta remember that Braxton went down only 10 days prior to the season beginning.

Hilarious coming from a Texas fan considering how long it has taken Swoopes to even become somewhat decent at the position.

963BUSC

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To answer the original question playoffs and rankings should be based on who you beat and who beat you. It doesn't matter who is in our out now or at game time.

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To answer the original question playoffs and rankings should be based on who you beat and who beat you. It doesn't matter who is in our out now or at game time.

Everything should be taken into consideration IMO.

If Boykin goes down for TCU and they squeak out a win vs Iowa St., TCU is not nearly as good without him than with him. They are no longer the #3 team in the country. Same thing for Ohio State and their injury issues.

The entire season should be taken into consideration. How you played in wins and losses, how you've progressed as a team, if you have key injuries, how tough your schedule was, etc etc. It's the only way to do it.

963BUSC

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everything should be taken into consideration IMO.

If Boykin goes down for TCU and they squeak out a win vs Iowa St., TCU is not nearly as good without him than with him. They are no longer the #3 team in the country. Same thing for Ohio State and their injury issues.

The entire season should be taken into consideration. How you played in wins and losses, how you've progressed as a team, if you have key injuries, how tough your schedule was, etc etc. It's the only way to do it.

The fact they were only able to squeak out the win is relevant. Boykin going down is an excuse.

Say Alabama beats Missouri by 21 points but Blake Sims and Amari Cooper are injured on the final play of the game it isn't relevant in determining whose in and whose out of the playoffs. If Sims and Cooper are both injured at the start of the game and Alabama slides by with an ugly 3-2 victory then its relevant. But you don't ding a team for an injury, anymore than you excuse a loss because someone was out.

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The fact they were only able to squeak out the win is relevant. Boykin going down is an excuse.

Say Alabama beats Missouri by 21 points but Blake Sims and Amari Cooper are injured on the final play of the game it isn't relevant in determining whose in and whose out of the playoffs. If Sims and Cooper are both injured at the start of the game and Alabama slides by with an ugly 3-2 victory then its relevant. But you don't ding a team for an injury, anymore than you excuse a loss because someone was out.

You're right, it won't matter, but if Alabama was in Ohio State's position on the outside looking in, it could seal their fate.

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Their argument for getting into the tournament despite a loss to VT was that "it was Barretts second game". Barrett hadn't played much and was still getting his legs under him and adjusted to being a starting quarterback and now he has greatly improved.

And now he is no longer there and they have a quarterback who wasn't as good as Barrett was when they lost to Virginia Tech and we are suppose to ignore that and pretend that the quarterback they have doesn't make a difference? No chance. If they were undefeated, I'd say they'd belong despite an injury. If their excuses for losing were different I'd be fine with them getting in. But, as a bubble team I have a very hard time believing they should be put in ahead of Baylor or TCU since they're not clearly more deserving even with Barrett.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Just can't agree. Losing a great player effects your team. That can not be argued. It is simply a fact.