• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

I'm looking to buy my first handgun but...

Mangler

Dis-member
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm actually looking to buy a SIG P226 9mm (earth tone with black) right now but I've never actually bought a pistol before. I was going to make a thread asking how to find the best prices since I haven't had much luck finding prices unless I already know the name of the store (like Cabela's). Right now Cabela's has a deal where you get a couple free magazines and a bag for it but I don't think I have enough information right now to know whether that's a great deal or not.

try Gunbroker.com an online auction house. you can get a feel for what is an appropriate price on there. Cabela's prices are rarely a bargain.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Take a NRA First Steps pistol course. it will familiarize you with safety, the mechanics of how different pistols operate, and the pros and cons of each for the intended purpose, be it target shooting or home and personal protection. More advanced courses such as Basic pistol or concealed carry classes are available. Go to the NRA website to find a local class
I'm familiar with my 1911 but it was a gift and ammo for a .45 is pretty expensive.

try Gunbroker.com an online auction house. you can get a feel for what is an appropriate price on there. Cabela's prices are rarely a bargain.

Thanks, I was kind of getting that feeling. I'll check that site out.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would start with a .22, the Doobster is all about the .22's. Easy to handle, ammo is cheap, really the best handgun to start out with IMO.

BF4L

Black/Gold Glasses
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,520.25
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Take a NRA First Steps pistol course. it will familiarize you with safety, the mechanics of how different pistols operate, and the pros and cons of each for the intended purpose, be it target shooting or home and personal protection. More advanced courses such as Basic pistol or concealed carry classes are available. Go to the NRA website to find a local class

Great advise. I myself am a NRA trainer and love teaching new people how to handle guns safely.

Mangler

Dis-member
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great advise. I myself am a NRA trainer and love teaching new people how to handle guns safely.
thanks, I have been a trainer for several years and find it very rewarding. Thank you Obama for stirring up all the interest in owning firearms. :-)

The PK

Capo Di Tutti Capi
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, it looks like you've already gotten your first Glock endorsement. Lol. And Podunkparte is absolutely right. Glocks are simplicity personified. Reliable, too. Not long ago, I was a Glock hater (had a poor experience with the first one I ever fired), but I've come around. They're still not my favorite, (I'm not a big fan of striker-fired DAO pistols) but they're a very solid choice.

What? What's that, you ask? What's MY favorite? Well, I'm glad you asked. ;)

Since you did mention that money wasn't of consequence... if you're going 9mm, personally, I'd go with a Sig Sauer P226. It was the first pistol I ever bought years ago and I still love it to this day. I've owned several Sigs (I posted my current pistol, the P220 Elite Dark TB, in .45 ACP on the "Post your gun pics" thread) and loved every last one of them. Not a bad one in the bunch. Yeah... you're gonna shell out about $800 for it, but man is it worth it. The P226 is an easy gun to take down and maintain, extremely reliable (it'll fire any brand you put through it flawlessly) and incredibly accurate. If you're gonna splurge on it, Sig is the way to go. Hell... you could probably find a deal on a used one that'll still treat you right.

/fanboy rant. :yahoo:

I'm a big fan of Sigs, my carry sidearm is a Sig 1911 XO. might be a bit much for a relative novice, but your advice on the P226.is spot on.

The PK

Capo Di Tutti Capi
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would start with a .22, the Doobster is all about the .22's. Easy to handle, ammo is cheap, really the best handgun to start out with IMO.

.22 is incredibly hard to find these days, but good advice for anyone is to practice with a .22, saves the budget a bit.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are a great American.

We need more people like you.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personally, I'm a big fan of the Taurus Judge revolver. Shoots both 410 and .45s. I load mine with both rounds alternating. Burn their ass with the 410, if they don't stop, blow em away with the .45.

Bridgeburner

BASSHOLE
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess to add a little more information what I’m generally looking for high durability, low maintenance, good accuracy, range, and clip size. From the looks of the responses the two things I should really do are:

Decide between a semi-auto and a revolver
Use a lot more firearms than I have

Thanks for the responses though guys, they definitely have given me a lot to think about. Oh and keep them coming, more information is always welcome.

Did you end up getting something Agent?

For someone new to firearms the Glock 19 is always the default recommendation. Unless there is a specific reason/feature that you don't like/doesn't work for you, this is a good choice. It's popular for a reason. It's accurate, reliable, durable, cost effective, and the perfect size for a do-all handgun.

If the Glock doesn't call to you I would look at the CZ P-07. It doesn't have the track record of the Glock, being newer to the market, but it's making some very deep inroads in regards to the shooting community. It's probably more mechanically accurate than the Glock but that probably won't be noticeable on your end for some time. About the same size as the G19. The trigger is drastically different. It will come stock as a DA/SA similar to a revolver trigger pull. If you can't adjust to this pull you do have the option to take a few minutes and switch it to SAO like a 1911. Which is a bonus.

I carried the Glock 19 for years as well as several different 1911 incarnations and I've just recently switched to the P-07 myself. To say that I've been impressed is an understatement. I'm faster with this gun and more accurate. I've got about 3000 rounds through it so far without a hiccup. My splits are noticeably better and reload drills are a dream.

The M&P is a good gun too. And as noted previously, you can't go wrong with a P229/226 from SIG. Although don't sleep on the SP2022. Not as sexy but it's half the price and shoots like a dream.

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am a big fan of the Smith & Wesson M&P. I have it in .40 and like it a lot. Ammo is not crazy expensive ($20 a box) and it is very good quality. S&W has a great warranty so if something goes wrong with it, they will fix it. It kicks a little less than the glock IMO and is more comfortable.

Do as the others have said and shoot different models to find a comfortable one.

BigRedMoe

Highly Polished Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am a big fan of the Smith & Wesson M&P. I have it in .40 and like it a lot. Ammo is not crazy expensive ($20 a box) and it is very good quality. S&W has a great warranty so if something goes wrong with it, they will fix it. It kicks a little less than the glock IMO and is more comfortable.

Do as the others have said and shoot different models to find a comfortable one.
The ergonomics of the M&P line are why my next couple purchases will be a Shield and full frame (probably .45). I love Glocks, but am a big fan of this S&W series.