• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

I was offered a trade last night

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chef,

I drafted Medlen in the 6th round 1 of my 3 leagues last year. I had him ranked in that nebulous tier after the top 10-12 pitchers, so you could say that I fell for the hype too. I thought he had a chance to produce good numbers, but never did I see or hear anybody call him a superstar. The small sample size made him too difficult to project with any degree of certainty. He was a risky pick who had a chance to deliver SP1 numbers if you believed the hype.

Point taken. I think Da Bums used an unfortunate choice of words with "superstar". "Stud", certainly, and it all depends on which fantasy expert's opinions you subscribed to. This one, while noting the small sample size, had him ranked just behind and just over some pretty good pitchers: Fantasy baseball 2013 preview: Atlanta Braves' Kris Medlen elite? - Fantasy Sports - Michael Beller - SI.com
However, your last comment pretty much sums it up.

Moral of the story: Don't believe the hype! (unless it turns out to be right) :rollseyes:

da55bums

Royals -when they do win its a WS RING.
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't fall for the Medlen hype, at all, but everyone in my fantasy league but one other guy did. I got killed for not offering more for Medlen and argued plenty against Medlen being an "Ace" so many thought that he was.

Wacha and Fernandez aren't that different, talk about someone buying into "hype"...the point is they both have the same chance at being dominate for a long time, lets see how they handle a season after everyone has seen film on them before annointing Fernandez as the greatest pitcher in the league.

Last edited by a moderator:

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bums,

You don't get it.

This has nothing to do with who the better pitcher is or will be so I am not going to debate that point with you. I am not anointing anyone here. Fernandez was the 5th highest ranked SP last year in 5x5 leagues despite pitching 40 fewer innings than anyone ranked ahead of him.

The whole point is that because Fernandez had such a great year at such a young age that people's expectations for him are off the charts. Whether or not you believe the "hype" surrounding him, Fernandez still has A LOT more value than Wacha because of that hype. The market values Fernandez significantly more than they do Wacha and failing to take advantage of that fact in a trade would be an epic failure.

Offering a low ball deal for a player like Medlen who you feel is overvalued is nothing short of a waste of time. You may have been right on Medlen, but that does not change the fact that whoever drafted him is obviously going to value him higher than you do. The only time that a deal like that is going to work is when you expect the player to outperform his market value.

da55bums

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with Fernandez getting more Hype and Trade Value, if he can get more for Fernandez, yes do it, I said he could be at his all time peak trade value right now.

I would trade him for the best deal possible right now before opening day, if he can get better than Wacha, Buchholz and a 3rd player better than Fowler, great...

Ubaldo was young and the top pitcher in baseball when I traded him at the all star break a few years ago....everyone thought I was nuts then too....I believe in selling young overhyped pitchers, not hitters, every time and it keeps working out more often than not in my favor. Been doing it for years, guess I still don't get it.

Fernandez's "5th" ranking just means I can get more players to me, don't recall too many pitchers over the last 20 years who started off dominate and maintained it.

da55bums

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if anyone gives a superstar up for Fernandez, then, they are the suckers.