• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

I don't like the 7th playoff team from each conference

WNY_FOOTBALL_DUDE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do suspect the 7th seed in both conferences will probably be 9-8. That 2 v 7 matchup might be something like Chiefs v Raiders in the AFC or Ravens v Bengals. Potentially interesting.

In the NFC you might get a team like the Vikings in the 7th seed and maybe Russell Wilson gets back healthy and squeaks into the playoffs. Potentially interesting.

Obviously its just the NFL trying to make more money. Im not a huge fan of it but it is what it is at this point.
Fully agree. It should be pretty obvious:

NFL owners want to live in bigger yachts.

NFL fans want more games.

Sports networks want to talk football longer.

And teams with a history of losing records, want to increase their odds of getting in.

The only "tiny" issue here is player safety. Players are already hiding injuries and being overworked. The NFL just made the situation worse. I would have preferred if they added another bye week.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do suspect the 7th seed in both conferences will probably be 9-8. That 2 v 7 matchup might be something like Chiefs v Raiders in the AFC or Ravens v Bengals. Potentially interesting.

In the NFC you might get a team like the Vikings in the 7th seed and maybe Russell Wilson gets back healthy and squeaks into the playoffs. Potentially interesting.

Obviously its just the NFL trying to make more money. Im not a huge fan of it but it is what it is at this point.
Division my team is in I've got no complaints.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Division my team is in I've got no complaints.
It could potentially get teams matched up a 3rd time against a divisional rival. It honestly has a high percentage of being good for the sport because the NFL plays way fewer games than MLB, NBA, etc, so getting another game in really doesnt hurt the product. As long as everyone stays healthy.

I'm not fully sure the #1 seed getting the lone bye week is a good idea, though. It often means that the luckiest team in the NFL (which was the Chiefs last year) gets another break. As a Chiefs fan I thought it was cool but it led to an awful Super Bowl.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It could potentially get teams matched up a 3rd time against a divisional rival. It honestly has a high percentage of being good for the sport because the NFL plays way fewer games than MLB, NBA, etc, so getting another game in really doesnt hurt the product. As long as everyone stays healthy.

I'm not fully sure the #1 seed getting the lone bye week is a good idea, though. It often means that the luckiest team in the NFL (which was the Chiefs last year) gets another break. As a Chiefs fan I thought it was cool but it led to an awful Super Bowl.
I mean, sure, there will be the occasional year we get a clunker 7 team who is 8-9 (maybe even 7-10)......and, hell, maybe a 9-8 team who was just in a really tough division squeezes in. Team who if, say, was in the AFC South this year runs away with division.

Moab

Hoopla Cash
$ 260.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another thing that I think is crap is the staggered bye weeks. Why don't they give all the AFC teams off 1 week and the NFC the next week or vise versa? IE, week 7 the AFC is off and week 8 the NFC is off, or would that be too fair?

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another thing that I think is crap is the staggered bye weeks. Why don't they give all the AFC teams off 1 week and the NFC the next week or vise versa? IE, week 7 the AFC is off and week 8 the NFC is off, or would that be too fair?
Because the networks might not want that and they kind of pay a lot of money?

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
they definitely wouldnt like it cause afc is on cbs and nfc is on fox:suds:

Moab

Hoopla Cash
$ 260.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right, except the networks are showing cross conference games now, so what's the difference?

Moab

Hoopla Cash
$ 260.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
they definitely wouldnt like it cause afc is on cbs and nfc is on fox:suds:

That has been changed a bit if I'm not mistaken. I'm not wrong, GB Seattle is on CBS and so is Minny/Detroit later in the year....so that excuses is gone

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That has been changed a bit if I'm not mistaken
no sometimes theres a crossover from interconference games but thats it:suds:

RememberTheKoy

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was a terrible decision by the NFL. Only a matter of time before we get an 8th playoff team per conference.

Moab

Hoopla Cash
$ 260.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no sometimes theres a crossover from interconference games but thats it:suds:

So that sometimes couldn't be during a conference bye week? It could and that excuse is gone