• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

How NHL teams got their names

Eddie_Shack

likes oatmeal lumpy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some we all know, some are news to me. From the Palm Beach Post. There are rumblings in the comments section about the accuracy of these, so if your team is inaccurately represented, feel free to correct.

Anaheim Ducks

The Disney-owned team was founded in 1993, a year after Disney's movie "The Mighty Ducks." In 2006, a year after Disney sold the team, it changed its name to simply Ducks, in large part to get away from association with the movie.

Atlanta Thrashers

The Atlanta Flames moved to Calgary in 1980. Then, the NHL granted an expansion team, founded in 1999, and called the Thrashers. The team was originally part of Turner Broadcasting, and owner Ted Turner picked name for the state bird, the brown thrasher, part of the mockingbird family.

Boston Bruins

The team was founded in 1924. The owner, Charles Weston Adams, also owned a local retail chain whose colors were brown with yellow trim. A naming contest stipulated the nickname would be "an untamed animal whose name was synonymous with size, strength, agility, ferocity, and cunning; and in the color brown." (A bruin is a type of bear.) The uniform front shows a wheel, which is believed to refer to the hub configuration of Boston's streets.

Buffalo Sabres

The team was founded in 1970. Owners had an interest in polo and were fascinated with cavalry, knight and chivalry themes.

Calgary Flames

The Atlanta Flames were founded in 1972, which marked the city's burning during Civil War. The team moved to Calgary in 1980.

Carolina Hurricanes

The team, originally called the Hartford Whalers, moved in 1997 and the owner chose the name, in part because Hurricane Fran had moved through eastern North Carolina in 1996. Some fans objected to the name as being in bad taste.

Chicago Blackhawks

Founded in 1926, the owner had commanded a World War I battalion named "Black Hawks" to honor a Sauk chief who sided with British in the War of 1812.

Colorado Avalanche

Originally called the Quebec Nordiques, the team moved to Denver in 1995 and Avalanche was the top vote-getter in a naming contest.

Columbus Blue Jackets

After the team was founded in 2000, fans in a contest picked the name "celebrating patriotism, pride and the rich Civil War history in the state of Ohio and city of Columbus." The city produced many of the uniforms worn by Union soldiers, and the state supplied a high proportion of soldiers to the Union army in relation to population.

Dallas Stars

The Minnesota North Stars, founded in 1967, were named for the night sky of the Upper Midwest. They moved to Texas in 1993, and owners dropped "north" for ready-made salute to "Lone Star" state.

Detroit Red Wings

Founded in 1926 as the Detroit Cougars, the team was renamed Falcons in 1930. In 1932, the new owner, who had once played for Winged Wheelers of Montreal Amateur Athletic Association, renamed team "Red Wings" and adopted winged wheel logo.

Edmonton Oilers

The team was founded in 1979 in the World Hockey Association. The owner had owned a junior hockey team called Edmonton Oil Kings. Alberta is a large oil producing region and oil was discovered in Canada in 1947 in Leduc, near Edmonton, and the team's logo is an oil drop. A sponsoring agreement with Gulf Oil fell through, but the team kept Gulf's colors of orange, blue and white. The team originally was called the Alberta Oilers, with plans to play in Edmonton and Calgary, but the deal fell quickly fell through. The team joined the NHL in 1979 after the WHA folded.

Los Angeles Kings

When Jack Kent Cooke, who owned the Los Angeles Lakers, got an NHL franchise in 1967, he picked "Kings" because he "wanted the club to have an air of royalty."

Minnesota Wild

The North Stars, who were founded in 1967, moved to Dallas in 1993. When a new franchise awarded to Minnesota in 1997, "Wild" was picked in a name-the-team contest. The team said the name honored Minnesota's rugged natural wilderness. Other finalists: Blue Ox, Freeze, Northern Lights, Voyageurs, White Bears.

Montreal Canadiens

When the National Hockey Association was founded in 1909, Montreal already had a team comprised of English-speaking players called the Montreal Wanderers. A group then founded a team of French-speaking players and called it "Les Canadiens," French for Canadian. The NHA became NHL in 1917. "CH" on front of Canadiens uniform is French for "Club de Hockey Canadien." In 1920s, New York Rangers owner Tex Rickard had picked up on a rumor that the "H" was for "habitants," a French slang term for a Quebec farmer. The nickname stuck and was later shortened to "Habs."

Nashville Predators

The team was founded in 1998. But in 1971, fang and leg bones of a saber-toothed tiger had been discovered under the street near where a hockey arena would be built in 1996. The story was revived during a fan contest to name the team.

New Jersey Devils

When the Colorado Rockies moved to New Jersey in 1982, newspapers held a naming contest that led to Devils. The legend of "New Jersey Devil" dates back 250 years. It says a woman in southern New Jersey who dabbled in witchcraft gave birth to a 13th child, a demonic creature that was part man, bat, snake and kangaroo. Creature supposedly continues to torment region.

New York Rangers

The team was founded 1926 and originally owned by Madison Square Garden. Sportswriters dubbed the team "Tex's Rangers" for Garden president G.L. "Tex" Rickard.

Ottawa Senators

The first pro Ottawa team played in the 1890s. In a January 1901 story, alocal newspaper first referred to Senators, reflecting Ottawa's role as the nation's capital and home of its Parliament. The team joined the NHL when it formed in 1917 and won 11 Stanley Cups. The team moved to St. Louis in 1934. When a new team formed in Ottawa in 1992, the owners selected the former name.

Philadelphia Flyers

The team was founded 1967. After a name-the-team contest, the team picked "Flyers" because of connotation of speed.

Phoenix Coyotes

Originally the Winnipeg Jets, the team moved in 1996. In a naming contest, Coyotes waspicked because many coyotes roam Phoenix' Valley of the Sun and surrounding deserts.

Pittsburgh Penguins

The team was founded in 1967. The owner's wife picked the name because the original arena was called the Igloo and because "Penguins" started with P.

St. Louis Blues

Founded in 1967, the owner wanted to honor the city's blues tradition and W.C. Handy's popular tune, St. Louis Blues. Team logo is a blue note.

San Jose Sharks

The team was founded in 1990. In a naming contest, Sharks came in second to Blades, but owners selected Sharks, saying they are "relentless, determined, swift, agile, bright and fearless" and noting that seven shark species live in nearby Pacific Ocean waters. Also submitted: Fog Horns, Piranhas, Alcatraz Techs, Screaming Squids, Rambos, Faults, Cansecos.

Tampa Bay Lightning

Shortly before the franchise was awarded in 1990, team management was meeting during a thunderstorm and saw bolt of lightning, inspiring name.

Toronto Maple Leafs

The team was founded in 1917 under the ownership of Mutual Street Arena and called the Toronto Arenas. The team withdrew in 1919 but reappeared a few months later as the Toronto St. Patricks. Conn Smythe purchased the team in 1927 and selected Maple Leafs to honor the Canadian symbol. The leaf had also been the logo of Canada's 1924 Olympic team and Smythe had worn a leaf as a soldier in World War I. Smythe had also previously been a scout for an amateur team called the East Toronto Maple Leafs.

Vancouver Canucks

The team, founded in 1970, was named for the previous minor league Vancouver Canucks (1946), which honored "Johnny Canuck," nickname for Canadian soldiers in World War II.

Washington Capitals

Founded in 1974, the owners picked the name, and named a new arena in Maryland Capital Centre, to honor city's role as nation's

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i know i've heard multiple things for the penguins one, but i know i read that the wives were in charge of naming in a book entitled "The History of the Pittsburgh Penguins". Sooo...i trust that. hah.

Winged_Wheel88

ND 14 UM 45
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My old man had told me once that the Detroit owner renamed them the "Redwings" after the owner's favorite song.

scottflyers88

Lets Go Flyers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
more on the flyers. i think i heard that snider was telling someone about the team and was thinking of a name and the person said, there is only one name you can name them, the flyers.

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As far as the Flyers go I think it was that Snider was talking with a girl (A relative, If I am correct) and she suggested the Flyers after the speed of the game. Some little boy's entry was picked, spelled Fliers. I dont how it was changed, and that is the story I know.

And with the Penguins I thought they were named so because of Penguins/Pennsylvania

scottflyers88

Lets Go Flyers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
As far as the Flyers go I think it was that Snider was talking with a girl (A relative, If I am correct) and she suggested the Flyers after the speed of the game. Some little boy's entry was picked, spelled Fliers. I dont how it was changed, and that is the story I know.

And with the Penguins I thought they were named so because of Penguins/Pennsylvania

ok so you made my story a little more in depth.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
Chicago Blackhawks

Founded in 1926, the owner had commanded a World War I battalion named "Black Hawks" to honor a Sauk chief who sided with British in the War of 1812.

Why would an American (presumably) want to honour an indian who sided with the British (ie. against the Americans) in the war of 1812?
that one doesn't make a lot of sense, unless I'm missing something.

mbhhofr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The date of the Edmonton Oilers is wrong. They were an original WHA team in 1972 known as the Alberta Oilers. They changed their name to the Edmonton Oilers the next year, 1973.

Eddie_Shack

likes oatmeal lumpy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The more I look at this, the more I'm doubting it's accuracy. Also, maybe I should think twice before posting a hockey article from a Florida newspaper.

BostonAJ

They fucking won?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Great read, but yeah, doubting some accuracy. I've always heard that Art Ross named the Bruins. I'm not sure about a name-the-team contest.

mbhhofr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Did you know that James Norris Sr., who owned the Detroit Red Wings, also was a part owner of both the Chicago Blackhawks and the New York Rangers? The NHL was often referred to as the Norris Hockey League.

maddogmark25

In the Pot Bunker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
San Jose Canseco's is epic and shouldv'e been the runaway vote-getter :D

kenyg54

Only sane person out here
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Did you know that James Norris Sr., who owned the Detroit Red Wings, also was a part owner of both the Chicago Blackhawks and the New York Rangers? The NHL was often referred to as the Norris Hockey League.

Yup. Norris used to screw the Wings and feed trades to try and make the Blackhawks win.

No one ever includes why the "red" in Red Wings though. Why weren't they the Purple Wings or something?

Bizzle McDizzle

all of your teams suck
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Learned something new today. Had no idea Jack Kent Cooke owned the Kings when they came into the league.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tampa Bay Lightning

Shortly before the franchise was awarded in 1990, team management was meeting during a thunderstorm and saw bolt of lightning, inspiring name.

Actual notes from the meeting from these incredibly creative soles...

6:14pm - No ideas yet. Someone suggested Buccaneers, but had to be reminded that was the same as the football team.

7:28pm - Still nothing great. Finches flew by, so we briefly considered that, but not very intimdating.

9:03 - Meeting devolving. Guys mostly naming objects in the room - Pencil Cups, Zagnuts, Desk Chairs, and Coasters all considered for names in the last hour. Zagnuts came dangerously close, and I'm pretty sure that would violate trademark law

10:48pm - Spent last hour and a half convincing majority owner he can't name the team after his wife. The Tampa Bay Deloreses has no ring to it.

11:41pm - Have roamed to nearby rooms to come up with names - Printers, Glass Jars, and Tampon Machines all suggested and discussed for 5+ minutes each.

12:17am - Thank god for that lightning storm.

Bizzle McDizzle

all of your teams suck
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actual notes from the meeting from these incredibly creative soles...

11:41pm - Have roamed to nearby rooms to come up with names - Printers, Glass Jars, and Tampon Machines all suggested and discussed for 5+ minutes each.

they were almost de-feet-ed?

(ugh, that was bad)

I heard they scrapped TB Tampons after they realized that they would start playing in 1992, but that Derek Roy wouldn't be available in the NHL for 11 more years.