• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

How My Much Maligned Spurs Trade Proposal from July Would've Held It's Benefits

HurricaneDij39

The Middle of Everywhere: NWI
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My trade proposal would have sent Kawhi to Atlanta in a three-team deal that would have sent Kent Bazemore, DeMarre Carroll, and a second round pick to San Antonio.

Here was the link to the post to refresh your memory - (https://www.sportsblog.com/hurricanedij39/lebron-james-kawhi-leonard-and-the-perpetual-joke-nba-free-agency-has-become/)

On paper, this looks like a terrible deal for the Spurs from a pure-talent perspective. However, the long-term implications here involve more that just pure talent.

Reason number one for why my proposed deal would have been beneficial is due to the fact that they wouldn't have had to absorb so much salary. DeRozan has one more year on his deal than does Bazemore, and is due to make just under $28 million for the 2020-21 NBA season. Reason number two is that DeRozan does not fit the Popovich mold for defense. Even without Kawhi Leonard for all but nine games last season, San Antonio had ranked third in the NBA in total defense. That number has dropped to 25th this season with DeRozan, so something is not quite adding up here.

Reason number three is that my deal would have allowed them a better opportunity for a higher draft pick in 2019. The passing of Gregg Popovich's wife last spring could have done nothing but prolong the career of the all-time great coach. Popovich and myself are cut from the same cloth, in that the game clearly gives him comfort. Not only are he and I from the same region in Indiana, but we also grew up in the same county here in NWI. He graduated high school from Merrillville while I graduated from Hobart. In fact, he graduated in the same Merrillville class as my late uncle, in 1966. And what better way better way to spend the waning years of your coaching career than to develop a good young prospect through the lottery?

An additional minor reason number four would be that with my deal they would have been able to do without the signing of mediocre token starter Dante Cunningham at small forward. All in all, the point of my earlier trade proposal was not that Bazemore was on DeRozan's level as a basketball player or anywhere close to it. The point was that my deal would have allowed for the Spurs to speed up their retooling process by not taking on so much long-term salary while also teaching Kawhi a lesson that beggars can't be choosers (though to Kawhi's credit, he has played like an MVP for Toronto this season).

As it stands currently, San Antonio is stuck as a middle-of-the-pack team with two borderline all-stars in DeMar DeRozan and LaMarcus Aldridge. There is no doubt that these two are the type of players that you can't possibly get equal value for in a trade, so you might as well hang onto them for the duration of their contracts. The Spurs would have to absorb a significant amount dead salary in order to move one of them let alone both.

Granted their are worse situations to be among in the current NBA (Charlotte, Phoenix, Miami, and Sacramento come to mind - Though I am a fan of what De'Aaron Fox has shown this year), but it is still not ideal.
How My Much Maligned Spurs Trade Proposal from July Would've Held Its Benefits

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You too deal was utter garbage. Stop trying to justify it.

I don't like this deal that much either. But at least the Spurs got something back. They chose current assets over future assets, but your proposal had them getting absolutely nothing.

Stop.

logic

Hoopla Cash
$ 69,974.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you really think the should have taken two middle of the road guys over a guy who is leading the team in scoring and putting up career numbers across the board (except 3 point shooting)? The defense difference is all from the starting 2 guard spot, there's no other differences?

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol

Leave it to Hurricane to come up with a stupid trade proposal, get mocked for it...

and then try to justify it a couple of months later just so he can get mocked for it all over again. :tsk:

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DeJounte Murray is a future superstar.
He was and is the best pure talented player on the roster, assuming he makes a full recovery.

The Spurs believe him (at age 21) to be the next great Spurs and a 10 year franchise cornerstone.
He is a gifted perimeter defender, but needs some seasoning to develop his offensive game.

The Spurs specifically acquired high quality aging offensive veterans (Bellinelli, Gay, Derozan) on the perimeter.
The Spurs specifically let go high quality aging defensive veterans (Green, Slow-Mo, Ginobili) on the perimeter.

Then they drafted an elite athletic defensive perimeter guy in Lonnie Walker III as well.
They wanted to pair his athleticism with Dejounte Murray making it a 21 and 22 year old smothering defensive tandem.

They would let "defense optional vets" carry the offensive load while the 2 youngsters improved.
The Spurs had a definite focused plan that made sense.

You cannot retroactively grade a trade based on the franchise player of the team getting a fluke injury

People just seem to think the Spurs planned all along to be missing their #1 PG and #1 SF all season.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL I am not a fan of the trade but there is one theory to the Toronto trade that nobody has talked about that benefits the Spurs.

Leonard was traded to a contending team what the spurs do not want is Leonard to be traded east and leave the team to come back and play for an LA team and seek revenge of the spurs.

Now it looks like Toronto might be winning 60 games and being a number 1 seed and I don't see any teams it the east giving them a hard time in the playoffs so they might actually be in the finals and after beating golden state might actually have a chance at winning it. NOW do we think Leonard is willing to leave a team/city that has a low key profile that matches his personality and is a championship contender? To go play for the LA Clippers??

If he were traded to a sorry Atlanta team we can pretty much bet he is going to free agency and going back west

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL I am not a fan of the trade but there is one theory to the Toronto trade that nobody has talked about that benefits the Spurs.

Leonard was traded to a contending team what the spurs do not want is Leonard to be traded east and leave the team to come back and play for an LA team and seek revenge of the spurs.

Now it looks like Toronto might be winning 60 games and being a number 1 seed and I don't see any teams it the east giving them a hard time in the playoffs so they might actually be in the finals and after beating golden state might actually have a chance at winning it. NOW do we think Leonard is willing to leave a team/city that has a low key profile that matches his personality and is a championship contender? To go play for the LA Clippers??

If he were traded to a sorry Atlanta team we can pretty much bet he is going to free agency and going back west

This is why I laugh when people say "the Lakers should have just traded for Kawhi". The Lakers tried to trade for Kawhi. The Spurs were never going to trade Kawhi to the Lakers because, as you point out, they didn't want to have to face him 4-5 times a season and then see him again in the playoffs.

Agree about trading him to Toronto vs. an Eastern cellar dweller too. Kawhi may still choose to come to the Lakers or Clippers, but if the Raptors keep playing like they are and get to the ECF or finals...it's going to be a whole tougher for him to leave than it otherwise might be.

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They made the trade entirely with MURRAY/WALKER as part of the envisioned final product.
The SPURS are fighting for the #3 seed if MURRAY actually fucking played a single game this season.

They thought the back court would be MURRAY-DEROZAN
Offense Derozan + Defense Murray

And Murray is a talented enough slasher, that he would not be an offensive liability.
He could probably chip in 10-12 points while continuing to work on a post up or 3 point game.

Unfortunately, injuries to MURRAY/WALKER, forced them to use 3rd stringer Brynn Forbes as the point guard.
Forbes is a decent shooter, but he is not a good defender....which compounds the weaknesses of Derozan.

The only mistake they truly made was not begging Ginobili to come back for another year after Murray went down.
Ginobili is still an elite defender who could really help out this season.....

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DeJounte Murray is a future superstar.
He was and is the best pure talented player on the roster, assuming he makes a full recovery.

The Spurs believe him (at age 21) to be the next great Spurs and a 10 year franchise cornerstone.
He is a gifted perimeter defender, but needs some seasoning to develop his offensive game.

The Spurs specifically acquired high quality aging offensive veterans (Bellinelli, Gay, Derozan) on the perimeter.
The Spurs specifically let go high quality aging defensive veterans (Green, Slow-Mo, Ginobili) on the perimeter.

Then they drafted an elite athletic defensive perimeter guy in Lonnie Walker III as well.
They wanted to pair his athleticism with Dejounte Murray making it a 21 and 22 year old smothering defensive tandem.

They would let "defense optional vets" carry the offensive load while the 2 youngsters improved.
The Spurs had a definite focused plan that made sense.

You cannot retroactively grade a trade based on the franchise player of the team getting a fluke injury

People just seem to think the Spurs planned all along to be missing their #1 PG and #1 SF all season.

Exaggerating just a bit on the "franchise player" and "future superstar" descriptions I think. He may well be the most talented young player on the team, but he has a long way to go to earn either of those tags.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My trade proposal would have sent Kawhi to Atlanta in a three-team deal that would have sent Kent Bazemore, DeMarre Carroll, and a second round pick to San Antonio.

This is awful compared to what they got lol.

Derozan 23.6 ppg 5.5 rpg 6.1 ppg $27.7 mil/year
Poeltl 14 mins 5.7 ppg 4.9 rpg $2.9 mil/year
2019 1st round pick

Bazemore 13.2 ppg 3.9 rpg 2.6 apg $18 mil/year---WOW
Carroll 9.0 ppg 5.1 rpg $15.4/mil year---WOW
2nd round pick

Having a star player with a bad contract >>>>>>>>> than having two average to below average players with bad contracts