• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

How much 'talent' do you need to win it all?

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You have to have a mix of talent, leadership (experience), and luck (matchups).

I don't think you need "NBA" talent, but talent. NBA talent can be a bit overblown. Guys like Walker went to the NBA after winning it all, and while he carried UConn, and he went to the NBA, it's not like he's tearing it up. Hell, Lance Stephenson has a better career to this point than Walker.

I think after the talent, you need team. Guys who know their roles, and accept their roles. The great thing about that UK team was that they had senior leadership that accepted they weren't as talented as guys like Anthony Davis. Instead of fighting against him and the other freshmen, they worked along side them. Put the team first, and lead by example. It's why last year UK fizzled, and why they struggle so much this year, despite having more talent than just about any team in the NCAA's. They have no leadership, they have no experience, and they don't know how to handle rough patches in games, and struggle to maintain their level of play.

And, of course, you can get lucky with matchups and getting just 1 guy "hot" at the right time. OSU has benefited from this the past several years. Sullinger really caught on his freshman year in the NCAA's, though he had a great season, too. Then the following year Thomas was the guy who rose up to help OSU. Teams always need that #2 guy to emerge and help them. Always helps to get guys hot.

jontaejones

Hoopla Cash
$ 149.32
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A good and prophetic article from back in 2011 about overachievers tanking in the tourney.

http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/03/11/in-n-c-a-a-tournament-overachievers-often-disappoint/?_php=true&_type=blogs&scp=1&sq=pomeroy%20ratings&st=cse&_r=0

Prophetic because Notre Dame did in fact tank badly that year, as did Miami a couple of years later. So I guess it's up to 0-43.

Not good news for Villanova if you believe in this stuff (although I believe we could have been in the preseason Top 25 based on 2013). The silver lining is we will definitely be ranked preseason next year! :clap:

Last edited by a moderator:

tabascojet

king of cake
Hoopla Cash
$ 554,070.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
minimum needed to win is some defense, a good point guard to run the offense, and one great shooter. In today's one and done environment some senior experience is also a plus.....

SEC Official

Elongated Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look at Florida if you want the answer... we have no big time NBA player (at least projected) on our team that area contributing right now. All four seniors may be lucky to make the NBA and get any playing time.

We have some freshman like Chris Walker and Hill who could be impact players at the next level, but it is too early to tell.

Florida is all about Scottie's leadership, the overall teamwork, and lock-down defense this year.

tabascojet

king of cake
Hoopla Cash
$ 554,070.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look at Florida if you want the answer... we have no big time NBA player (at least projected) on our team that area contributing right now. All four seniors may be lucky to make the NBA and get any playing time.

We have some freshman like Chris Walker and Hill who could be impact players at the next level, but it is too early to tell.

Florida is all about Scottie's leadership, the overall teamwork, and lock-down defense this year.

as much as i have bashed PY for not developing more, i have to believe that if greg oden can still have a job in the nba then young will easily find work there too.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
as much as i have bashed PY for not developing more, i have to believe that if greg oden can still have a job in the nba then young will easily find work there too.

People in the NBA LOVE potential and high ceilings....

gpm1976

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like MSU's chances. We may have just beat them, but they're a FAR better tourney team than us. Good range of talent + Payne is a major matchup issue for any team. So unless injuries get the better of them, I look for them to cause some trouble.

gpm1976

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Pays to be a 7-foot giant. Look at Shaq, he played with the Cavs in 09.. and had to use a walker to get up and down the court.

Runeman

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,650.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO, SEC is correct; most of our players will not be playing in the NBA. Fraiser and Chris Walker, definately; Finney-Smith and Hill, likely. Praither, Wilbekin, Young, Yeagette might get drafted, but I don't think any of them will develop. So, after thinking about it, if all 7 guys are draft potential, that's probably why Florida is winning. No real big names, but all can play and all play team ball. A team just can't focus on one player and expect to shut down Florida's offense.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Florida is basically Wichita St only with more talent. An experienced group of kids who have played together along with really talented freshman. Billy Donovan's built the best program in college basketball over the last decade imo. Doesn't look like it's slowing down this season either. They'd be my favorite to cut down the nets.

SEC Official

Elongated Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Young continues to improve on offense... and the most trouble he has is on double teams. The NBA is such a different animal, he may have a future there.

Plus he has other assets like great attitude, hustle, size / strength, good defender, understands the game (guy is smart)... how often does he get in foul trouble? Almost never... which is hard for big guys to say.

So if he can continue to develop offensively, he could be a factor at the next level.

Runeman

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,650.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^^^^^

It's tough for a 6-9 center to make it in the NBA; last one that was good was Wes Unseld, and that was a long time ago. Dennis Rodman made it as a forward and like Young, he had no shot , so IMO, if Young has a chance of being drafted, it will be as a forward who is a good rebounder, passer, and can pick up a few garbage points along the way. His great attitude is a plus and on that basis along, I suspect he will get a fair look.