• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

How early is TOO early??

ksudodger

Unofficial board GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whether we want Bradford here long term or not, I think we can all agree that the Rams should without question draft a young QB to dutifully hold a clipboard and push (and/or PASS) Bradford.

The question is, with our other needs, how early should we look at a QB. My gut tells me that we will draft a QB in round 3 or round 4 unless someone we covet at a position of REAL need (CB,S,OG)

I feel like the guys we will target will be (in order) Garappolo,McCarron,Savage,Murray,Fales with Murray and Fales probably being available in round 5....

What do you guys think? Which young QB from the middle rounds do you want? Me personally, I want Savage or Fales.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree, don't think they should go any earlier than round 3 for a QB. That probably eliminates Garappolo and the recently hyped Savage unfortunately, both guys I like. So, the next guy up for me is probably Fales, who I think can probably be had in the 4th or potentially the 5th. I wouldn't mind McCarron or Murray either, but I think they're probably 3rd round guys at worst as well.

If they want to wait longer, Mathews is an interesting developmental pick. Smith and Wenning are OK as developmental picks as well. Boyd late has value as well. Funny, coming into this season I thought Boyd and Murray would be guys considered for the 1st/2nd rounds.

ksudodger

Unofficial board GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True story about Boyd and Murray. I think Murray would be up there with Garappolo had he not gotten hurt late in the season. Boyd is just showing too many issues with his game during workouts.

Two other guys I would look at in the last 2 rounds would be Connor Shaw and Bryn Renner. Both guys are fundamentally sound and were winners... MAN this is gonna be a fun 2 weeks leading up to the draft.

jacobarch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm all about Murray. I think guy just has it. I think had he not gotten hurt he would be a late first rounder. I wouldn't take him earlier than the 3rd tho. I think it's a good place to take him and would be all about it.

He's everything you want in a qb.
Can scramble
Good arm
Can make every throw
Good football iq
And he's enthusiastic which is something Bradford lacks

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Depends on the QB.

Bortles at 13 would be fine by me. Mettenberger in Rd 2. Logan Thomas in Rd4-5 as a project. Boyd or Murray in Rd 6-7. Manziel and Carr will go too high. McCarron sucks. Bridgewater might be redundant and may or may not go too high.

icefreeze57

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a huge fan of Savage, he played at three schools, left Rutgers (honestly cause he was being minimized) and I'm not even sure how he got to Pitt, there was a lot of weird things with him and I don't think he's a talent that could ever be better than Bradford. Of the later QBs I would rather the two SECs QBs, McCarron and Murry

But as far as what round is concerned, its hard to say, I would think it'd be about round 4 as an earlier mark, but if someone like Brdigewater falls to us in the 2nd, I think he needs to be the pick (some strange scenario when Brotles and Manizel are only QBs in the 1st and then Carr is picked ahead of him too....)
We've seen some strange things happen with QBs, and I wouldn't be surprised if there is a guy picked before players that the majority of people rank better (i.e. a player like Garoppolo or Mettenberger going before someone like Carr or Brdigewater). Teddy is the QB I would want from the draft tbh and if he is there in the 2nd I think it's okay to draft him. Bradford still starts the year and plays, but if injury or a struggle occurs Teddy can play. IF he plays well (in a case like that) we may even be able to trade Bradford and get stuff back for him. I don't think Teddy would be there in the 2nd but just to answer the question of "What round is to early"

CBS is having a like mock and one of the guys mocked us Johnny at #2 overall, so it's not the craziest thing ever.

mutigers1fan

the SoCo kid
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Manziel is there at 13 I'd swoop him up, and I'm a Bradford guy.

Red_Chaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
does manziel hold enough trade value to the point where we could draft him and immediately trade him for a bounty?

mutigers1fan

the SoCo kid
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
does manziel hold enough trade value to the point where we could draft him and immediately trade him for a bounty?

Probably not, otherwise he'd go before 13. But I'd turn him into a backup and use him in trick plays and what not. Given the injury history of Bradford and the general disdain many fans have for him I think they might as well go all out on a backup.

ksudodger

Unofficial board GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mettenberger in Rd 2. Logan Thomas in Rd4-5 as a project. Boyd or Murray in Rd 6-7. Manziel and Carr will go too high. McCarron sucks.

You REALLY must have been in a drunken stupor when you wrote this brother Clayton. First of all, I am going nowhere NEAR Tajh Boyd if I am the Rams. He has JaMarcus Russell written all over him. He has proven he is not accurate at all, he is not as fast as we previously thought and he has a horrible work ethic because he has the Popeye attitude (I am what I am and that's ALL that I am). So NO NO NO.
Only way I think about Mettenburger is if he is 100% ready for training camp. I want him to be able to get practice time in, not just sit on IR and even then, if I was going after a QB in the 2nd it would be Jimmy Garappolo, not him. You have Logan Thomas and Murray flip flopped. Murray will go not later than round 5 and Logan Thomas is the 6th or 7th rounder, although he might also go in the 5th, but of the 2, I would MUCH rather have Murray.
Now we get to the blanket statement "McCarron Sucks". Really?? All the kid did was throw for over 9k yards with 77 TD and only 15 INT in 3 years as a starter. Oh and by the way, he is a WINNER. Yes is a pure pocket passer, but sure as hell is more mobile than "brick foot" Mettenburger. He completed almost 67% of his passes. Compare that to the other high profile middle round QB's and nobody comes close. Murray 62%, Mettenburger 61.5%, Boyd 64.3%... sounds to me like that is simply a little Bama hatred to me. I, for one, would have no problem whatsoever with AJ McCarron as a Ram.
It seems right now that McCarron and Savage have switched places in recent mocks so right now I would rank my QB desires as such:

3rd-5th round: Garappolo,Savage,McCarron,Murray
6th-7th round: Fales,Thomas

mutigers1fan

the SoCo kid
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with everything ksu said except that I would LOVE to see AJ as a Ram.

ksudodger

Unofficial board GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with everything ksu said except that I would LOVE to see AJ as a Ram.

I would love to see him as a Ram too, but I would like Garappolo more... but AJ is my #2 choice behind him and ahead of Savage and Murray

mutigers1fan

the SoCo kid
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Garappolo would be a 2nd, McCarron could be a 5th. I just see that as better value.