• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

How do you convert something from LibreOffice into Microsoft Word?

lilchi721

Hoopla Cash
$ 20,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a church bulletin that I'm preparing for church the previous person who did it did the template in word but since I don't have word I put the template in libreoffice but everytime I'm done and open it on another computer that has word on it all comes out wrong. So how do you fix the problem? I don't edit in doc so what's making it do this?

TheDayMan

Day Butt Ass the sadgaydayboy
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't you just save it as a word doccument?

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like the template went through some kind of conversion when it got moved to libre that added codes it sees fine and Office isn't working with properly.

You might not have any choice other than cleaning up the template on someone's PC that has office and saving it there and bringing back into libre again.

In this case it's not a conversion problem, its a standards problem between both platforms working with the codes correctly.

I'd try researching .doc codes that don't cooperate properly between the two and see if there is advice on what to do with those formatting issues.

lilchi721

Hoopla Cash
$ 20,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can I just print it out in libreoffice?

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven't used libre in a few years, but it is supposed to be fully compatible both ways with office. You should be able to create a .doc in either and open/view/print it from either. However bad codes can get into them that ends up rendering the file differently on both. Some format code somewhere in it isn't rendering correctly in Office, but libre has no problems with it or simply ignores it. Cleaning up those codes can be a pain.

In libreoffice the only codes you can even see are the tab, space, etc format codes and to see them you can toggle it with ctrl-F10. Maybe you can find a rogue carriage return or something else. In office you can select a text range and press shift-F1 to reveal formatting in that range.

Like I said, it can be a real pain to find the code that is causing the format problem.

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can I just print it out in libreoffice?
Of course you can, and if you just want to send it to be able to print the document on another computer that doesn't have LibreOffice then use File->Export to PDF. This creates a PDF file that can be opened and printed by any OS (Windows, MAC, Linux) that has a PDF reader like Adobe Reader or FoxIT Reader, or even a browser if the browser supports PDF.