• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Horror Movies

returnofjakedog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A run of questionable oldies:

The Ghoul (1975)-

Some 1920-30s era Gatsby wannabe rich kids decide to race a couple hundred miles to the coast at night. However they get stuck in heavy fog along the back roads and stumble into an isolated mansion where the creepy servant (John Hurt) tries to r*pe all the ladies, and something or someone is getting very stabby. Peter Cushing plays the "lord of the manor" and we see evidence of satanic rituals and cannibalism blended in for good measure.

A kinda disjointed flick that doesn't flow well. The protagonists are barely characters, and it feels like a late '50s-early 60s instead of '75. The story is good but mediocre execution hurts it.

5.5 outta 10 from me.

Island of Terror (1966)-

Another Peter Cushing flick but from 9 years previous to The Ghoul.

On a remote UK island people start disappearing. Local investigation finds boneless bodies (essentially piles of skin and flesh) that they can't explain so a couple of experts are brought in. Eventually they find out that a cancer research team has inadvertently created a silicon based life form that feeds on calcium and other minerals.

When I saw it I thought: "Wait a second. This plot is from an episode of the original Star Trek series! Even the creatures look the same." So I looked it up and it was from an episode called The Devil in the Dark, which is listed as one of the top episodes in most ST evaluations. However this episode was from 1967, so Star Trek was ripping off Island of Terror!

Everything here is done ok considering era and budget but it moves quite slow and focuses more on the mystery and events leading up to actually confronting the threat.
Early on the main actress comes off as strong willed, insisting she be involved in every step, only to revert to frightened femme who begs for protection when shit starts going down, which is kinda annoying. Cushing plays it all very straight forward, which is fine but rather non-distinct.

A 5 outta 10 from me. Needed an infusion of excitement as the creatures, while on one hand being a major threat, are very slow. The heros stand in place, shoot the creatures, then lob dynamite at them, and then go "Well that didn't work" and retreat a bit as the creatures inch their way forward. Not very suspenseful.

Curse 2: The Bite (1989)-

So I remember The Curse which is yet another adaptation of H.P. Lovecraft's The Colour Out of Space starring a young Wil Wheaton. It was a decent but flawed flick with a good story (but I haven't seen it in 30 years so my memory on it is a bit spotty).

Curse 2: The Bite is something else entirely.

A young couple is traveling west through desert scrub country and they encounter rattlesnakes at seemingly every turn. Eventually the boyfriend gets bitten so, for some reason, Jamie Farr (Klinger from MASH) gives him an antidote. The kids head on their way only for the bf's personality to start changing. An asshole local sheriff (played by the "always-good-as-an-asshole" Bo Svenson) harasses the couple. In the meantime Klinger realizes he gave the bf the wrong antidote and starts chasing them cross country. The bf goes full snake monster (mostly via his mutated snake arm!) and things come to a head as they try to kill the beast.

This one makes zero sense and is seemingly a precursor to ridiculous, intentionally bad SyFy flicks that came later. Klinger is ridiculous as the comic relief salesman who works with a bunch of psychotic truckers via cb radio to try to find the young couple.
But Screaming Mad George did the fxs, so they are a lot of fun!

3 outta 10 from me, but probably about a 6 outta 10 if viewed as a "so bad, it's good" flick. Some ridiculous fun hidden in the bizarre stupidity.

House of the Dead (aka Alien Zone) (1978)-
(No trailer, but here is a clip)

No, not the Uwe Boll much maligned video game movie but instead an obscure low budget 70's anthology film.

A business man leaves his lover's house and is mistakenly(?) dropped off in an isolated area during a big rain storm. He seeks shelter in an mortuary where the undertaker shows him dead bodies and tells them the tales surrounding their demises.
First a grumpy teacher who hates kids is scared in her house, and eventually attacked by zombie kids (?) (their only defining feature is huge teeth?).

The second corpse/tale involves a guy who invites women back to his place and then films hinself killing them.

The third story is about 2 world famous detectives who are trying to kill each other for some reason (pride I guess?). At least it actually has at least one decent actor in it.

The forth story is about an unempathic businessman who gets tortured and reduced to the homeless people he abused previously.

The framing story with the businessman and the mortician is probably the best of the lot but it's conclusion is as obvious as it is inevitable.

Not horrible considering the budget and era but a clunky, and dark (in appearance) film with poor acting and minimal fxs. I only continued watching it because I love anthology horror films but this one isn't very good by any stretch.

4 outta 10 from me. I appreciate the effort but the execution mostly fails.

returnofjakedog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Abominable Dr. Phibes (1971)-

A Vincent Price fav!
Doctors start dying in weird fashion. The police find that the team of doctors had operated on a woman who died on the table, and that her husband had crashed his car off of a cliff rushing to be with her, and was persumed dead. The inspectors figure out that the doctors are dying in accordance to the Old Testament's 10 plauges of Egypt but are unable to stop further deaths from happening. Meanwhile the crazed killer and his beautiful mute assistant set up further chaos, and dance and play the organ quite a bit.

I reviewed Theatre of Blood, also starring Price, recently and I wasn't impressed. It is supposed to be kinda a riff on this movie (stars Price, similar back story, kills people in accordance to Shakespeare novels, etc) but I found Theatre of Blood to be stupid in it's humor attempts while The Abominable Dr. Phibes actually pulls off a slightly less campy feel.

Price is good. The plot is a bit convoluted and sometimes hard to follow. The story is excellent. The characters other than Price and his mute assistant are fairly forgettable. It kind of works as a bridge between old school horror and moving into a new era (at the time).

Fans of Saw should probably check it out as I think this was an influence on that, particularly towards the finale.

6.5 to 7 outta 10 range from me. I'll have to check out the sequel at some point!

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

My mom likes to tell the story of my Halloween costume as a 4 year old. I wanted to be Leatherface from Texas Chainsaw. She doused an apron in stage blood, made a mask, and bought a Fischer Price plastic chainsaw. However I didn't want to carry it around trick or treating, and she kept saying it's part of your costume! To which I frowned and said "I wanted a real one!" Can't blame me for shooting for authenticity.

Before age 10 I was Leatherface, Freddy, Jason, Grim Reaper, and Chucky. How I'm not a serial killer only God knows.

Blackshirts BLVD

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wasn't the biggest fan of Us, but this looks badass

No lie, I literally logged in just now to post that video. This has me somewhat excited. I love Alien/abduction style horror, hell, that's why Signs makes my list. I love it. I would also recommend The Fourth Kind to anyone that hasn't seen it, made the hairs on the back of my neck raise. Good use of the found footage style too in my opinion (and I don't care for found footage too much).

There are parts of the trailer that have me worried it may be too action-y and not as much horror/thriller/suspense-y, but I will definitely have to check this out.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No lie, I literally logged in just now to post that video. This has me somewhat excited. I love Alien/abduction style horror, hell, that's why Signs makes my list. I love it. I would also recommend The Fourth Kind to anyone that hasn't seen it, made the hairs on the back of my neck raise. Good use of the found footage style too in my opinion (and I don't care for found footage too much).

There are parts of the trailer that have me worried it may be too action-y and not as much horror/thriller/suspense-y, but I will definitely have to check this out.

Well being Jordan Peele guarantees it's not just a straight up alien abduction film. Might not even be real aliens at all. The freakiest shot in the whole trailer was the lady who looks like the real life woman who's chimp ripped her face off.

Blackshirts BLVD

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well being Jordan Peele guarantees it's not just a straight up alien abduction film. Might not even be real aliens at all. The freakiest shot in the whole trailer was the lady who looks like the real life woman who's chimp ripped her face off.
Spitballing here, but lol at the thought of elite white people controlling the saucers and abducting black people. I REALLY hope it isn't anything as obnoxious as that.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Spitballing here, but lol at the thought of elite white people controlling the saucers and abducting black people. I REALLY hope it isn't anything as obnoxious as that.

No, not so much elite white people, but think of something like the Tuskegee Experiment. Maybe the UFOs are actually government aircraft and abductions are for experimentation. Probably not something as black and white as that, and I'm sure some sci-fi shit is going on. I'm just saying there is sure to be a meaning behind what we see.

To me the question will be how well it blends into a sci-fi/horror movie. I thought Get Out did it masterfully but Us was way too niche with the Hands Across America thing. I think I was just born when that was going on so it didn't connect at all for me.

Blackshirts BLVD

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, not so much elite white people, but think of something like the Tuskegee Experiment. Maybe the UFOs are actually government aircraft and abductions are for experimentation. Probably not something as black and white as that, and I'm sure some sci-fi shit is going on. I'm just saying there is sure to be a meaning behind what we see.

To me the question will be how well it blends into a sci-fi/horror movie. I thought Get Out did it masterfully but Us was way too niche with the Hands Across America thing. I think I was just born when that was going on so it didn't connect at all for me.
That's pretty much what I said lol.

Peel has a good eye, Get Out was definitely his best. I thought Us was a huge mess, well shot and well acted, but a mess beyond that. Candyman didn't resonate with me as anything special. I didn't think it was bad, but it also wasn't anything that stood out. Peel is an auteur, but he needs to find a stronger balance between what he wants to show and what meaning he wants to have, sometimes I think one of those gets mired in the other.

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was really excited for that movie but it kind of fell flat.

It's a bit of a drama mixed in with some horror elements and about a Wendigo. I REALLY wish a Wendigo movie would come out like the video game Until Dawn. I've watched basically every Wendigo movie I can find and nothing comes CLOSE to that game's story. No surprise it was good as Larry Fessenden writes, produces, directs, and even acts (he was the flamethrower guy in Until Dawn) almost exclusively horror films (mostly Indy/smaller projects).

Anyway, the pacing in the movie is pretty slow... couple guys are salvaging a mine and something attacks them. One guy's kid is the focus of the movie and there's a drama story between him, fine ass Keri Russell, and the poor mans Matt Damon from Breaking Bad.

Long story short, the Dad got bit and infected by some creature (we assume?) and wants human flesh. This all happens pretty early and it's obvious what's happening so I really don't feel like I'm spoiling anything here. Anyway, the wendigo/goat/antler thing then attacks a few people and retreats back to the mines. Keri figures out what's going on and goes to discover and kill it to save the poor boy from his demon goat Dad. Meh and meh. The final monster reveal is pretty cool but largely impractical and pretty underwhelming with the ending and 'fight' scene. It's kind of a 'yawn' watch but I like the dreary/cold town and cinematography. Keri and the actors here really seem to just be mailing it in lol.
I agree with this.
Tried to watch Antlers the other night and it just seemed to drag.

Nothing wrong with the cast, but it's like a wet blanket mopey drama when the kid's house isn't involved.

The parts with Graham Greene were interesting where we get some background/mythology, but those scenes were few and far between.
Couldn't finish it.

returnofjakedog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Resident Evil - Welcome to Raccoon City (2021)

So a reboot of the Resident Evil series. Paul W.S. Anderson is still a producer but his hottie wife Milla Jovovich isn't involved.

Anyways, this one sticks pretty close to the original video games as it is centered around the doomed Raccoon City police department and the big mansion. Several different groups deal with escalating t-virus outbreaks. They fight their way through scenerios and eventually work together to fight the biggest baddies.

The fxs range from decent to way too much cgi. They try to develop the characters but they don't do a particularly good job as they try to shove the stories from the first 2 or 3 games into 1 hr 45 minutes and it makes things pretty convoluted. But it generally looks pretty good and the action is ok. Some of the shots are very ambitious so credit to them for that.

I give them credit for putting the effort in but it comes off as too focused on appealing to teenagers with low attention spans. It is essentially a slightly better version of the kinda crappy Venom movies: all sizzle but little steak.

5.5 outta 10 from me. Some cool stuff mashed in with standard teenage cgi horror-action.

Blackshirts BLVD

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jeepers Creepers was one I gravitated to as a kid.... though I was a teenager when it came out.

1645149443655.png

Blackshirts BLVD

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Uncut violence.... fuck yes.

1645151868925.png

Also, not horror related, but I just read that HULU is picking up the Punisher series and will be returning Jon Bernthal. I'm excited about that and just wanted to mention it lol.