• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Horror Movies

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,071.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
31 days of Horror on Sy Fy, aforementioned bitches!!!!

Taddy Mason

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,579.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With TV shows starting back up, it's been a while. Went with Chopping Mall to end my evening. Points for the name alone, right? Some solid 80s camp, got bored with it and started reading threads here. It was like a cross between Dawn of the Dead and Robocop (I will say I was impressed to see this came out the year before Robocop). There's no Robocop like presence in the movie, but the story revolves around these Droid series 209 robots (but more like Johnny 5 with lasers) that are going to take over security in a mall. So that about sums it up. Dick Miller did make a brief appearance, so there was that.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exam (2009)

On Netflix! This is a very clever psychological thriller. Throw 8 people into a single room and film the entire movie from that very same room, you would expect some serious mind games to be going on. And that's exactly what you get. Crazy part about this movie is that it is never boring, not even for a minute. The suspense builds well. If you boil it down you get a superb character study, focusing on what people do in stressful, confusing and even helpless situations. This is one of those thought-provoking mind benders that keeps you guessing. Takes a lot of creativity to pull something like this off, therefore it is very well written. Reminds me of the other Netflix thriller Circle but much more grounded & realistic and focuses more on inter-human conflicts. If you were a fan of that movie then I'd definitely recommend giving this movie a go.

Excellent psychological thriller... 8/10

Montecristo Jones

Metrosexual fascist sophisticate
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exam (2009)

On Netflix! This is a very clever psychological thriller. Throw 8 people into a single room and film the entire movie from that very same room, you would expect some serious mind games to be going on. And that's exactly what you get. Crazy part about this movie is that it is never boring, not even for a minute. The suspense builds well. If you boil it down you get a superb character study, focusing on what people do in stressful, confusing and even helpless situations. This is one of those thought-provoking mind benders that keeps you guessing. Takes a lot of creativity to pull something like this off, therefore it is very well written. Reminds me of the other Netflix thriller Circle but much more grounded & realistic and focuses more on inter-human conflicts. If you were a fan of that movie then I'd definitely recommend giving this movie a go.

Only Netflix show I've watched was Man in the High Castle, and it looked better than I thought - do you think Netflix is on par with the cable networks, or more along the lines of The CW?

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only Netflix show I've watched was Man in the High Castle, and it looked better than I thought - do you think Netflix is on par with the cable networks, or more along the lines of The CW?
I'd say more along the lines of cable networks even though it does have a lot of CW. I've liked a lot of Netflix shows that I've watched. House of Cards, Stranger Things, etc.

Montecristo Jones

Metrosexual fascist sophisticate
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd say more along the lines of cable networks even though it does have a lot of CW. I've liked a lot of Netflix shows that I've watched. House of Cards, Stranger Things, etc.
I've heard good things about House of Cards; never watched a political thriller before though.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've heard good things about House of Cards; never watched a political thriller before though.
Its definitely took me a few episodes to get into it, but I'm glad I did. Pretty cool show, but I have to be in the right mindset to watch it. It's pretty dialogue heavy. Sometimes I zone out for 30seconds and have to rewind it because you can miss an incredible amount of dialogue.

BigDGarciaFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Due to the maniac clown craziness happening in our country, I decided to Damn one thing,

Damn......

IT!

Taddy Mason

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,579.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exam (2009)

I enjoyed Circle very much, will have to check it out. Will be back in the states soon enough, so it should be available to me.

Taddy Mason

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,579.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It depends on what you mean by Netflix shows. The ones they call original? Sometimes they're from other stations and were dropped and then netflix picked them up. That being said it all depends on what you're into or maybe you're not, like it was said, they do most things well when it comes to their television shows. In no specific order other than how they come up from bottom to top (just means the shows I've watched, I don't know how they grade them after that, if at all) in my Netflix original search.

Derek - A Ricky Gervais joint, very short seasons, but a lot of heart to it and a perspective from a lead character that gives you hope for humanity.

Lilyhammer - Mobster goes to Norway under witness protection. It wasn't too bad to start. Worth a look.

Stranger Things - Were you a fan of 80s movies dealing with a sci-fi/horror tilt, but more on the sci-fi, but with the genres that centered around the kids as the central characters (not that there wasn't some great acting and major parts by some parents).

F is for Family - short animated comedy series by Bill Burr. If you like Bill Burr, you'll like the series.

Bojack Horesman - If you're able to get into animated comedy that blends a lot of things into it and has a dark sense of humor to it, as well as some deeper intentions, it's fantastic.

W/ Bob and David - It's not Mr. Show, but if you were a fan, obviously it's worth checking out.

Flaked - It was a really slow burn, honestly episode after episode you kind of just watch it going okay, but then eventually more opens up and the season as a whole really works.

Hemlock Grove - Very light horror genre show by Eli Roth, if you want to watch a "horror" show that's very light, bit with a hint of mystery or intrigue, maybe it'll keep you entertained, but for the most part it's just off the walls with the plot.

Orange is the New Black - Well, I'll I can say is check it out and see if it's your thing. A bit uneven season to season, but I won't go into unless you see it.

Master of None - Not bad, can't say I've ever seen a full standup set by Aziz, but the series was good overall. Just nice to see something from another perspective.

Daredevil - Awesome marvel series. The fights scenes are great.

The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt - If you liked 30 rock and other offerings from Tina Fey and similar attacking work from both. You'll enjoy it.

I know there's more, some have been mentioned, others aren't necessarily Netflix shows, but extensions or aren't available to me at my current location.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sacrifice (2016)

On Netflix! Not really horror, just a murder-mystery thriller that left a lot to be desired. I liked the plot behind this movie, but the delivery was very flat and had little suspense. The most annoying part about this movie is the progression. It feels like it is always 1 step behind where it should be, so you can always predict what is going to happen before it does. It's the writer's faults. They basically give too many clues as to what is going on. Made the entire experience rather dull. I think the rest of the movie suffers from it. Not the actor's faults, but the writing made their roles pretty mundane. Radha Mitchell did a good job, but she's capable of so much more. Overall there wasn't anything special about this movie, but it was still somewhat enjoyable. Wouldn't necessarily recommend it.

Run of the mill murder-mystery thriller... 5/10

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dartmoor Killing (2015)

On Netflix! You know I love me some UK horror/thrillers... Sadly this one didn't give me the horror fix I was looking for. The movie had all the right makeup to be a success, but the result was just... odd. Definitely has the indie-film vibe. The story was pretty twisted and had the creepiness that is fundamental to good horror movies, but the writing lacked the suspense. Petty bland setup as they did very little to build tension. The only part that kept you guessing was how the one girl was somehow involved in the history of the farm. Aside from that, it was a very predictable thriller and the climax wasn't anything special. Acting was decent and the cinematography was good. Overall this was a pretty forgettable experience.

Nothin to write home about... 5/10

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Greatest month of the year my horror amigos! Let's boost up the reviews all month! Good or bad, all are welcome! Make me proud!

giphy.gif

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Wicked (2012)

Another predictable & slightly cheesy teenage scream movie. The story may sound entertaining combined with a listed budget of $1.5 million, so one would think it possible to make a fairly watchable film. Sadly that's not the case despite good production values (cinematography & cgi were good) & half decent acting from the cast. There is zero atmosphere present, the backstory is underdeveloped, & it is plagued by glaring plot holes. Although there was some gore present, albeit very little, I felt it didn't succeed in that area at all. If you have very low expectations then its watchable. Just don't expect much.

Script needs to be cooked longer... 5/10

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Find Me (2014)

Wow, whoever made this trailer deserves an award. I thought I was in for a pretty cool movie, sadly I wasted my time. This movie was lacking scary moments and anything that even remotely resembled anything spooky. Sudden noises heard in the dark are lazy attempts to invoke suspense, and sadly this movie relied on them. Not all is lost though. Aside from the carbon copied ghost story, the camera-work was decent, and the acting was believable. The lack of creativity in the writing department makes this an avoidable movie though. Its as if the director followed a horror cooking recipe and didn't even attempt to spice it up. Essentially you get Campbell's version of a comfort food, and end up disappointed.

Very dull experience... 3/10