• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Horror Movies

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone going to see the Conjuring 2 when it comes out (June 10th)?

Long ways away, but I'm pretty excited for it!

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Same here! First one was awesome, and I'm really glad that James Wan is the director again. John Leonetti did a miserable job with Annabelle IMO.

The first one was one of the better horror movies made in recent time. Completely agree about Annbelle, movie SUCKED.

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks for the heads up on Annabelle, guys. It's on HBO Now and I've been debating watching it. I'm a little ashamed to say that I've never gotten around to see The Conjuring. Gonna have to rectify that.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks for the heads up on Annabelle, guys. It's on HBO Now and I've been debating watching it. I'm a little ashamed to say that I've never gotten around to see The Conjuring. Gonna have to rectify that.
Its an ok watch, just doesn't live up to the Conjuring connection. And honestly you have to watch the Conjuring prior to Annabelle if you ever do decide to watch it. The setup was perfect for it, but for whatever reason the director & writers completely missed the mark with it.

You need to watch the Conjuring ASAP!!

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holidays (2016)

These anthology films are starting to become more popular. This latest installment features a few big names in the directing department like Scott Stuart (Dark Skies, Legion), Kevin Smith (Tusk), Anthony Scott Burns (The Last Exorcism), Nicholas and McCarthy (The Pact). This film puts a uniquely dark and original spin on some of the most iconic holidays. Most of the short stories provided a whole lotta WTF, but there were a few gems. I may not be sleeping very well for a few days after the Easter short. The only thing I didn't care for was how short some of the films were. A few of them leave you wanting more, and most leave you scratching your head. Decent entertainment but nothing to get really excited over. I'd really recommend the Father's Day short film because that was the best one IMO.

Disturbing imaginations on full display... 6/10

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hush (2016)

Thanks for the rec @Johnnydollaz89 :suds:

This movie was pretty badass. Home invasion movies are a dime a dozen, but this one added a unique twist in that the victim is deaf. That added a very cool aspect to the sub-genre, and it wasn't easy to do. It takes a very simple plot and makes it into a very well-thought out horror movie. Once the antagonist arrives, it develops into a typical cat & mouse game. The main character being deaf does allows a fresh spin on this game though. And without giving much away, the movie slowly begins to evolve into a very tense, fun ride. As Johnny pointed out in his review it is fairly predictable. But that didn't get in the way of me enjoying it. There is some frustration over character stupidity, but that always comes with the territory of these situational victim movies. The acting was superb. Very believable all throughout. The cinematography was awesome. Some of the camera work added a nice touch to some of the scenes. Not to mention the setting was a perfect compliment to the feelings of isolation & helplessness. The gore was top notch as well. Not extremely bloody, but the quality was excellent. For those that enjoy the "what would I do" type horror/thriller movies, then I would definitely recommend this movie!

Fresh spin on the home invasion... 7.5/10

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Finally back!

Saw a good horror flick the other day. Irish film from 2015 called The Hallow.

A guy takes a job marking trees for lumber and moves his wife and infant son into an old house on the outskirts of said woods. His job pisses off the "wee folk" (or whatever you want to call them. The hallow, fairies, etc). Locals try to warn him but he writes it off as superstitious myths. Things go bad (in a good way for the viewers)!

Well done. Acting is decent. Effects are good, non-cgi probably due to budget but it actually becomes a plus. Story isnt complex but still done ok. Reminds me a bit of Pumpkinhead in look and feel.

My only criticism would be that they had a great chance to make an epic ending but they copped out somewhat and took a slightly gentler finsh instead.

I'd say an 8 out of 10. Really enjoyed it. Fairly original and creep creature feature.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Finally back!

Saw a good horror flick the other day. Irish film from 2015 called The Hallow.

A guy takes a job marking trees for lumber and moves his wife and infant son into an old house on the outskirts of said woods. His job pisses off the "wee folk" (or whatever you want to call them. The hallow, fairies, etc). Locals try to warn him but he writes it off as superstitious myths. Things go bad (in a good way for the viewers)!

Well done. Acting is decent. Effects are good, non-cgi probably due to budget but it actually becomes a plus. Story isnt complex but still done ok. Reminds me a bit of Pumpkinhead in look and feel.

My only criticism would be that they had a great chance to make an epic ending but they copped out somewhat and took a slightly gentler finsh instead.

I'd say an 8 out of 10. Really enjoyed it. Fairly original and creep creature feature.
Nice review jakedog! :suds:

I reviewed this gem back on post #639 if you cared to see what I thought of it. Pretty cool movie from what I remember. Didn't care for the ending(s) because things got a little silly. Don't exactly remember everything about it though.

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like I was late to the party on both of these!

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like I was late to the party on both of these!
Not to worry, as this thread gets older its going to get a lot harder to keep track of these reviews. That's one of the reasons why I encourage everyone to write their own reviews regardless of whether it has been done before.

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I watched Paranormal Activity. Yeah, I liked the fact that they had a 'real' woman as the lead. That was refreshing.

Otherwise - zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Got 2 recorded, not sure if I even wanna watch. Ah well, some movies are just not everyone's cup of tea.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
COMING SOON!

Lights Out (2016)

In Theaters January 22nd (speculative)

Synopsis: A woman is haunted by a creature that only appears when the lights go out. A feature adaptation of the 2013 short film, "Lights Out" by David Sandberg.

No official trailer for the movie yet, but here is the horror short that the film is based on:

If that doesn't scare the shit out of you, then you need to check your pulse. The director, David F. Sandberg, is a very well known short film director. He gained a lot of popularity on youtube and still thrives as one of the best horror short film makers out there. This film, Lights Out, will be hist first ever full length production. I'm am highly anticipating this movie, and its a guarantee that I will be seeing it in theaters. I'm really excited about the cast. Teresa Palmer (Warm Bodies), Emily Lind (Haunting In Connecticut), Rolando Boyce (The After), amongst others. All actors with great horror roots. I'll try to remember to post the official trailer & release date when it gets figured out. Currently the film is in "post-production".
F*CK YEA the trailer finally dropped!!!! You guys need to check this out!
@jakedog56 @Johnnydollaz89 @Chef99

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alrighty, I've been a little behind with certain movies. Always put off watching The Purge because for some reason I had made up my mind that I was going to hate it.

Soooo....watched it today. And I liked it a lot, damn entertaining movie with an interesting concept and good acting.

So much for my instincts. Anyways...my question now is: The Purge2 worth watching? I really enjoy the gang's opinions on this thread, so fire away. And if you've got any thoughts about the first one, I'd like to hear them too.

Btw, the only reason I watched it is because I'm home in bed with the flu and was just channel surfing. Ever notice that sometimes you find a really enjoyable movie in those kinda situations? ;)

SDGuy73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,159.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alrighty, I've been a little behind with certain movies. Always put off watching The Purge because for some reason I had made up my mind that I was going to hate it.

Soooo....watched it today. And I liked it a lot, damn entertaining movie with an interesting concept and good acting.

So much for my instincts. Anyways...my question now is: The Purge2 worth watching? I really enjoy the gang's opinions on this thread, so fire away. And if you've got any thoughts about the first one, I'd like to hear them too.

Btw, the only reason I watched it is because I'm home in bed with the flu and was just channel surfing. Ever notice that sometimes you find a really enjoyable movie in those kinda situations? ;)

Purge 2 - Yes.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Just in time for the 3rd to drop this summer! Welcome to the party Chef! :suds:

My sentiments toward #2... It was decent. They tried to explore out into the world of chaos more and it was expected to be a little more insane. But I didn't care for how they sort of lost sight of the horror element and leaned more towards a survival thriller. It still had some pretty cool elements to it. Worth the watch!

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hush (2016)

Thanks for the rec @Johnnydollaz89 :suds:

This movie was pretty badass. Home invasion movies are a dime a dozen, but this one added a unique twist in that the victim is deaf. That added a very cool aspect to the sub-genre, and it wasn't easy to do. It takes a very simple plot and makes it into a very well-thought out horror movie. Once the antagonist arrives, it develops into a typical cat & mouse game. The main character being deaf does allows a fresh spin on this game though. And without giving much away, the movie slowly begins to evolve into a very tense, fun ride. As Johnny pointed out in his review it is fairly predictable. But that didn't get in the way of me enjoying it. There is some frustration over character stupidity, but that always comes with the territory of these situational victim movies. The acting was superb. Very believable all throughout. The cinematography was awesome. Some of the camera work added a nice touch to some of the scenes. Not to mention the setting was a perfect compliment to the feelings of isolation & helplessness. The gore was top notch as well. Not extremely bloody, but the quality was excellent. For those that enjoy the "what would I do" type horror/thriller movies, then I would definitely recommend this movie!

Fresh spin on the home invasion... 7.5/10

Watched it. I thought that it was pretty good. Review was spot on.

Just watched 10 Cloverfield Lane also. I didn't realize that it is the same guy, John Gallager Jr., playing the redneck in 10CL that is also playing the pyscho in Hush until my wife pointed it out to me. His movie history does not indicate him as a horror type (the closest he has done before this was a role in Jonah Hex, the rest is dramas and comedies) but he is just now starting to get lead roles and the next movie he is in is "The Belko Experiment" which appears to be a blending of Saw and The Cube. Could be a candidate as one of the next horror cult actors if he continues on this route?