• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Horror Movies

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Went and saw Krampus last night! Loved it! I'll write a full review sometime this week.

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Went and saw Krampus last night! Loved it! I'll write a full review sometime this week.
I love that avi! What'd ya do, make it?

And I am happy to hear the positive early Krampus reports. :)

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Harbinger Down (2015)

On Netflix! I'm not sure if they were purposely trying to or not, but this movie is almost exactly like The Thing. But IMO it had a low cgi budget for this day & age. The subpar effects could have been overlooked if the film had a decent script and actors but it really didn't. With the exception of Henrikson, the acting was pretty bad. The effects weren't bad by any means, but like I said, in this era of tech they could have made something better. Sadly I think they missed the mark with this one. They could have made a really suspenseful and disturbing film along the lines of The Thing, but what they ended up with was a pretty average monster movie that will quickly be forgotten. All in all, this is an average movie for something independent & without a budget. I still think it's worth a watch, at least for the effort.

Subpar version of The Thing... 6.5/10

Isn't this the movie with Lance Henriksen in it??

I will watch any movie with Lance in it! One of my alltime favs.

The Alien series as Bishop
Scream 3
The Pumpkinhead series
The Millinnium TV series
The Terminator
The Quick and the Dead
Stone Cold - hilariously bad action movie with the Boz but Lance is GREAT as the bad guy
Near Dark- highly underrated but excellent film!

......and about a million cheesy B-movies!

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,071.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Been busy working, watching college and pro football and looking for a new place to live come the new year....

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,071.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Once football season is over I'll be watching a lot more movies and I'll try and post some interesting stuff I watch.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Krampus (2015)

Here you have it gents... Took the wifey on opening night and we both loved it. Dougherty strikes again! A horror comedy that is going to instantly become a cult classic. With as many questions I had about the cast, the actors turned out to be the perfect ensemble for it. Each character added their own sort of comedy, yet delivered great horror suspense. Very well placed humor all throughout. Chef was right about the look & feel of the entire thing being more tailored towards younger ages, but there was plenty of vulgar language to keep the older audience entertained. It's definitely not for the younger children because the horror elements might scare the crap out of them. There was very little gore & blood though, so the gore fans will be upset. The cgi/fx really sold this one though. The creatures were pretty cool, some more than others. A few specifically were a bit silly, without giving too much away I'll say they were in the form of cookies lol. But it only further added to the comedy element. The plot & progression are linear & predictable, but it saves a cool twist for the ending. Quite the difference from Doughtery's Trick 'r Treat where everything was separate. Quite honestly I can call this Dougherty's best work to date.

Go see this in theaters before its too late! 9/10

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Isn't this the movie with Lance Henriksen in it??

I will watch any movie with Lance in it! One of my alltime favs.

The Alien series as Bishop
Scream 3
The Pumpkinhead series
The Millinnium TV series
The Terminator
The Quick and the Dead
Stone Cold - hilariously bad action movie with the Boz but Lance is GREAT as the bad guy
Near Dark- highly underrated but excellent film!

......and about a million cheesy B-movies!
I'm always a sucker for Lance Henrikson movies. No matter how indie or b-rated they appear, I'll usually give it a shot lol. Ever watch that one I posted on p.27 in this thread called "It's In the Blood". He has a supporting role, but still a pretty cool movie.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A Christmas Horror Story (2015)

Keeping in spirit with the Holidays, and after just watching Krampus, the wife & I decided to see what other "festive horror" films were out there. Found this gem that was recently posted online. To be honest, I didn't expect much from this as it looked a bit silly and the story sounded like a Krampus knock off (which it basically was). I have to admit to being pleasantly surprised though, and found it a very well made movie with great casting and cinematography. A little further down the cheesy side though. But there are so many more bad, cheesy, novelty, horror films out there that center around holidays which always seem to be mainly low budget affairs & aren't worth watching. This one is the opposite. It is actually exactly what I expected Krampus to be like, because of Dougherty's past works. It is a well made collection of stories which all interconnect and come together dramatically at the finale. The discovery of William Shatner as one of the characters caught me off-guard, but he delivered a good performance. There's plenty of blood and gore for the die hard horror fans as well as an interesting collection of narratives, filled with dark humour and intrigue. So for those that wanted more gore from Krampus, give this a go.

Surprisingly good film! 7/10

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haha, there are Henriksen fans and there are Shatner fans...like me!

It's all in the cheese, Baby! :nod:

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's my review after getting dragged to this movie with a group of coworkers after a holiday party.

Don't fucking do it. Contract ebola if you have to, but in no way shape or form should you go see this movie. It was so terribly horribly bad that I would honestly have rather went to the Alvin and the Chipmunk movie and sat next to other people's children.

I give it a 1/10, and only that high because I'm being generous in the Christmas spirit.

Krampus (2015)

Here you have it gents... Took the wifey on opening night and we both loved it. Dougherty strikes again! A horror comedy that is going to instantly become a cult classic. With as many questions I had about the cast, the actors turned out to be the perfect ensemble for it. Each character added their own sort of comedy, yet delivered great horror suspense. Very well placed humor all throughout. Chef was right about the look & feel of the entire thing being more tailored towards younger ages, but there was plenty of vulgar language to keep the older audience entertained. It's definitely not for the younger children because the horror elements might scare the crap out of them. There was very little gore & blood though, so the gore fans will be upset. The cgi/fx really sold this one though. The creatures were pretty cool, some more than others. A few specifically were a bit silly, without giving too much away I'll say they were in the form of cookies lol. But it only further added to the comedy element. The plot & progression are linear & predictable, but it saves a cool twist for the ending. Quite the difference from Doughtery's Trick 'r Treat where everything was separate. Quite honestly I can call this Dougherty's best work to date.

Go see this in theaters before its too late! 9/10

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's my review after getting dragged to this movie with a group of coworkers after a holiday party.

Don't fucking do it. Contract ebola if you have to, but in no way shape or form should you go see this movie. It was so terribly horribly bad that I would honestly have rather went to the Alvin and the Chipmunk movie and sat next to other people's children.

I give it a 1/10, and only that high because I'm being generous in the Christmas spirit.
You thought it was that bad huh? I'd be interested to see what sort of horror movies you consider to be good.

I may be a bit biased because I was a fan of Dougherty's work prior to Krampus. But still judging by the heaping piles of shit that I have seen over the years, this one is by far and away a great movie.

Everyone is of course entitled to their own opinions!

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sinister 2 (2015)

I was a pretty big fan of the first installment so I was fairly excited to watch this one. The trailer didn't pull the money out of my pocket to see it in theaters though lol. So take that "excitement" with a grain of salt. Everything that I was hoping this film would have, simply wasn't there. To me it felt like this movie tried to be more of a family drama with added supernatural going on in the background. Not sure if that is due to editing or the director, but the horror & suspense took a backseat. Wasn't scary at all. This movie was more about jump-scares and the acting was less than average. I think it was mainly due to a crappy plot. Just another case of a sequel falling very short.

Wanted to like it... 5/10

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Enter Nowhere (2012)

Don't be fooled by the bad trailer, this one was pretty damn good! The only gripe I have with it was the acting. This film could have really benefited from a better cast, but that's probably because of its lower budget. However the plot, suspense, and filming were all great! The plot had some good originality, which is rare nowadays. What I liked most about it was that it throws you into mystery and has you guessing from the very beginning. The further the movie progresses the more you want to know what the hell is going on. And thankfully, the film does a good job staying unpredictable & entertaining. In other words, its hooks you. The only thing that was predictable was that you were in for a solid twist during the climax, even thought you won't know what it is going to be. This film was fun, imaginative, creepy, and suspenseful. Everything you want from a thriller.

Impressed! 8/10

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Antisocial (2013)

On Netflix! This one was creative, but sadly it got too bizarr and the writers tried too hard to make a farfetched idea real. If they would have simply stuck with the zombie apocolyptic genre then it would have been leaps & bounds ahead of most of the zomb trash that is out there (and continuously regurgitated). I'm not big for giving plot spoilers in reviews because I want people to be surprised, but I'll make an exception for this one. I won't spoil the entire outcome of the movie but here's the basic plot:
This movies is about a social media website that uses subliminal messages to draw members. Unfortunately, that program mutates into a virus that affects human brains. Turning people delusional and violent, to the point where a tumor can grow and make heads explode.
Like I said, farfetched. The filming, gore, and suspense are good though. If you can get past the absurdity behind the plot idea then its a fairly enjoyable film. The acting is pretty bad though, so don't get too excited.

Absurd, but enjoyable... 6/10

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Antisocial (2013)

On Netflix! This one was creative, but sadly it got too bizarr and the writers tried too hard to make a farfetched idea real. If they would have simply stuck with the zombie apocolyptic genre then it would have been leaps & bounds ahead of most of the zomb trash that is out there (and continuously regurgitated). I'm not big for giving plot spoilers in reviews because I want people to be surprised, but I'll make an exception for this one. I won't spoil the entire outcome of the movie but here's the basic plot:
This movies is about a social media website that uses subliminal messages to draw members. Unfortunately, that program mutates into a virus that affects human brains. Turning people delusional and violent, to the point where a tumor can grow and make heads explode.
Like I said, farfetched. The filming, gore, and suspense are good though. If you can get past the absurdity behind the plot idea then its a fairly enjoyable film. The acting is pretty bad though, so don't get too excited.

Absurd, but enjoyable... 6/10

Haha, I love the plot! :thumb: