• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Hometown discount and Rice/Harvin effect

briwas101

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is an honest analysis of what the Hawks have done, and how that combines with human nature to create a situation that is most likely not as rosy as many would like to believe. This is not a troll post, so any trolling going on is not being done by me.

Many people have been postulating about potential hometown discounts for our players who will soon be eligible for extensions or FA, and using that as a way to stay under the salary cap in the future.

In fact some people have gotten the idea (or just hope?) that MOST of them will take a small discount so they can all stay together on the Hawks as one big happy family.

While that may be a nice thought and it may help you sleep at night, it conflicts with both the business side of football AND human nature.

Guys like Earl Thomas, Richard Sherman, Golden Tate, and Doug Baldwin are all up for their payday SOON. For Golden Tate and Doug Baldwin, here are their stats from 2011-2013 so far:

Doug Baldwin: 41 games, 116 rec, 1740 yards, 10 TD
Golden Tate: 53 games, 143 rec, 1897 yards, 14 TD

Here are the stats for Sidney Rice and Percy Harvin from 2011-2013 (so far):

Percy Harvin: 26 games, 150 rec, 1661 yards, 9 TD
Sidney Rice: 33 games, 97 rec, 1463 yards, 12 TD

Looking at those numbers there are two things that jump out:

1. The players the Hawks drafted have stayed healthier than the former Vikings, and have put up better total numbers from 2011-2013.

2. The Vikings put up better stats per game than the Hawks draft picks (Sidney by a little, Harvin by about 20 yards per game) but miss enough games that they end up producing less overall.

Based on the stats i just gave you, i would rank the players in terms of total effectiveness (meaning ability to ACTUALLY get on the field matters!) as :

1. Tate
2. Baldwin
3. Harvin
4. Rice

When it comes time to negotiate an extension with Tate, why would Tate accept a discount when Rice and Harvin were GREATLY OVERPAID and they had not even played a single down for the Hawks when they received their payday?

Why would tate agree to a discount so that the Hawks can afford to overpay a different WR who has done nothing for the Hawks?

This is human nature, folks. Why would Tate and Baldwin accept discounts so the Hawks can keep paying other players who have been less effective and done less for the team?

Why would the guys who have been here from the beginning of the Pete/John era accept less than their fair value from a team that has shown it doesn't mind paying people double/triple/quadruple what they are worth?

The Hawks went out and OVERSPENT on players who had no affiliation with the seahawks.

When it comes time to negotiate, i guarantee you Thomas/Sherman/Tate/Baldwin's agent will bring up the same point that i just made. Loyalty works both ways.

Im sure the players on the Hawks love playing for Seattle, but when it is time for a new contract and the team says, "Sorry, we have to ask you to give us a discount because we spent part of your raise on injured players" then it is completely understandable if the business side wins out.

Also, something that NO ONE but me would even think to bring up is HOW do the Hawks determine the "fair" value that then has a discount taken off and why would the agents accept that?

Example, if the Hawks say Baldwin is worth $2.5m per season and they want him to accept less than that, WHY would he automatically accept the "fair value" that the Hawks placed on him? What if there is a team out there that thinks he is worth $3.5m per year? Shouldn't the "discount" come off of the $3.5m?

If the Seahawks hope to get discounts from the players, I expect at least a couple of them (Baldwin and Sherman come to mind as actual Stanford-educated grads) to tell the Hawks that they want to wait until they are FA and test the FA market and then come back to the Hawks to see if a small discount can be worked out.

Mr. Tacoma

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
f5048aeb58e5785af4f6898197a29e1aadc54a20553f28d84f1a94e506d9b6fc.jpg

TheDman875

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jesus, Briwas never learns. He's so focused on himself that he actually believes everyone is against his opinions based off the content of replies...talk about severe delusion and ignorance. :doh:

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wake me up when these contracts ACTUALLY tear the team apart, instead of just predicting that they will.

Until then I dont give a shit. Because RIGHT NOW they are stacked at most positions and 10-1.

Briwas is a tool. This chest thumping and second guessing is all he does. We have a good board here, show this fucking troll the door.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He poopoo's everything, so of course he is going to be right once in a while. He thought drafting Wilson was a terrible idea too.

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the random caps... that's about the only thing I usually notice in his posts. :rollseyes:

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He poopoo's everything, so of course he is going to be right once in a while. He thought drafting Wilson was a terrible idea too.

LOL, yeah he did.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Players don't give teams a "hometown discount"

It's like a game show where you can take the $1,000 in your hand now or gamble and take what's behind door #1 which could be a brand new car or a brand new toaster.

A good chunk of players take the extension when offered even if it's below market value because it's guaranteed money now and if they pass it up they can risk injury the next season or risk getting stuck with the franchise tag and it being two more years before they get their payday.

There is no way the Hawks will be able to keep everyone which is why drafting is so monumental in the NFL but with creative cap space management they could keep quite a few.

Of course it depends on the player as well because Sherman could come out and say that he's the best DB in the league so he wants Revis money and not a penny less. Earl Thomas could say he's the best S in the league and wants top S pay.

Mr. Tacoma

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Even the sun shines on a dog's ass some days.

I've seen what he's doing before. He claims to be a fan but he's preparing himself psychologically to lose this year by giving himself something to point his finger at and say "I was right" as a way to soften the blow. But if we win, he gets to be oh so happy because he's such a big fan. It's a completely weak minded position to take and requires one to bullshit themselves significantly.

It used to be funny how that was obvious to everyone but him but his act is getting old.

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even the sun shines on a dog's ass some days.

I've seen what he's doing before. He claims to be a fan but he's preparing himself psychologically to lose this year by giving himself something to point his finger at and say "I was right" as a way to soften the blow. But if we win, he gets to be oh so happy because he's such a big fan. It's a completely weak minded position to take and requires one to bullshit themselves significantly.

It used to be funny how that was obvious to everyone but him but his act is getting old.

You're 100% right and he will never change as he will always find something to be obsessed with about Seattle sports.

Back when he used to post regularly on the ESPN Mariners board, his #1 obsession was Richie Sexson with the exact same chest thumping mentality.

As long as Percy Harvin's around, we're never gonna hear the end of this bullshit.

octagondd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL, yeah he did.

All he cares about is stat/$. He was probably against Lynch, Clemons, Avril, and Bennett as well. But they have worked out so far. There are 53 people he can pick and choose from who are not performing up to the value they were paid.

Doublejive

Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The season is not even over with and we are discussing this?

People who talk about hometown discounts have to realize that deals are done with agents and some are already speaking to other teams.

And yes Briwas the Draft is crucial and JS and PC have smoked the NFL in building this team through it and i see no reason why that cannot continue.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Right on the money. Funny how he only remembers when he's right.

Mr. Tacoma

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're 100% right and he will never change as he will always find something to be obsessed with about Seattle sports.

Back when he used to post regularly on the ESPN Mariners board, his #1 obsession was Richie Sexson with the exact same chest thumping mentality.

As long as Percy Harvin's around, we're never gonna hear the end of this bullshit.

"The M's would have won the World Series for sure if they hadn't signed Richie Sexson!"

Something like that?

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well we are done hearing it from him, because he's banned from SportsHoopla.

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"The M's would have won the World Series for sure if they hadn't signed Richie Sexson!"

Something like that?

Very much yes... and his chest thumping mentality about how it was a poor signing and will hamper the Mariners for years because of Sexson's contract. While briwas was 100% true on that matter, the way he presented himself on the board regarding that issue was the most pompous thing I witnessed. Briwas was literally obsessed with Sexson during his tenure there.

Thank goodness he's banned now and we don't have to deal with his bullshit any longer.:doh:

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude I understand you don't like trading for Harvin or having signed Sidney Rice but can't you post about anything else?

You have your reasons and I do understand why you feel that way but it comes off as trollish when it is all you talk about.

Says he is inactive. Must have got banned. Not sure if I would have banned him just because he has a differing opinion than everyone else. Have not seen him resort to name calling or anything like that.