• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Home Plate Collisions to be Removed

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Ah, GP....miss ya bro. Even when, hell ESPECIALLY when, we disagree.

I still maintain that home plate collisions are illegal.

Looks like it will be made illegal sooner rather than later.

ban mlb plate collisions likely - Buster OlNEY ESPN

Given how quickly sentiment within the sport about collisions is shifting -- particularly as information about concussions has come to light, including the cost of concussion-related lawsuits faced by the National Football League -- some officials talk of change as inevitable and predict that it could come swiftly.

"At this point, I don't know who would argue to keep it, or what their argument would be," said one team official who believes general managers will address the topic at their meetings next month. "There is no reasoned argument to keep it [in the game]."

Some executives view the issue as a math equation: The heightened risk of injury from possibly saving one run in one game is simply not worth the dollars invested in the players involved -- the same line of thinking that led to NFL rule changes designed to protect quarterbacks.

The team officials who expect the change to occur believe that Major League Baseball will simply adopt the rules on plays at the plate that are used at every level below professional baseball: The baserunner is guaranteed an avenue to the plate and is not allowed to target the catcher.

Pretty much hit all the points we discussed on the Giants board (or was it on the ESPN Board?) years ago. doesn't it? Maybe some of the knuckle draggers in evidence on this thread will get a clue soon. Still have to smh a little while re-reading this thread.

P.S. Hanley >> Arias!

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While hoping that this sentiment has already been expressed, the catcher collision issue is not a Giants only issue. It is an issue with MLB right now, to the point that it is being discussed as a league wide rule change to eliminate home plate collisions pretty much all together. So, the Giants and their fans make talk more and louder about this, it is not just them.

Tigertowner68

Church of Baseball member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While hoping that this sentiment has already been expressed, the catcher collision issue is not a Giants only issue. It is an issue with MLB right now, to the point that it is being discussed as a league wide rule change to eliminate home plate collisions pretty much all together. So, the Giants and their fans make talk more and louder about this, it is not just them.

David Ross ran into Alex Avila like a speeding locomotive the other night in the ALCS.

Nothing wrong with it, a clean kit by current rules.

But yes, something needs to be done with the rule book in light of what we know about concussions.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do Bochy and Buster Poser feel liberated now? :rolleyes2:

Stop messing with baseball.

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't like this.

I don't see how it's going to stop collisions.

mcro_rave_2001

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stupid, you can't stop collision from happening, catchers are taught to block the plate and it come natural when you get to the MLB level. There are still going to be collisions and people will still get hurt.

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When you have players that play balls to the wall, like Bryce Harper and Reed Johnson, there's no way those guys are going to pull up just before home plate to avoid a collision.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't like this - I don't think you can prevent this by banning it - in fast paced situations, things happen quickly so I bet there will still be collisions

I hate that Bruce Bochy and the Giants complained as much as they did - Buster Posey should have done a better job of blocking the plate when he got hurt - catchers have to do a better job in general too

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't like this - I don't think you can prevent this by banning it - in fast paced situations, things happen quickly so I bet there will still be collisions

I hate that Bruce Bochy and the Giants complained as much as they did - Buster Posey should have done a better job of blocking the plate when he got hurt - catchers have to do a better job in general too

I wonder what Ray Fosse's take on this is?

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last edited by a moderator:

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Further pussification of America.

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think "pussification" is politically correct.......... (helping to show your valid assessment)

I am just reading that along with Bruce Bochy, that Mike Matheny of the Card was in big on this suject, and was a big proponent.

He should know. A plate collision ended his career.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never heard Johnny Bench (the greatest catcher ever) whining. Or Mike Piazza. Or Carlton Fisk. Or Roy Campanell. Or Thurman Munson. Or Gary Carter. Or Jason Varitek. Or Yogi. Or a hundred others.

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People on a message board Ok with players trying to hurt each other What a surprise:suds:

The rule has yet to be formally defined or drafted, but the upshot of all of this will be that base runners will be required to slide into home plate, not initiate contact with the catcher. Likewise, catchers will not be able to block home plate. Rather, they must tag runners — and allow runners a path to the plate — just as any other fielder does at any other base.

MISKO

STILLERS
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People on a message board Ok with players trying to hurt each other What a surprise:suds:

The rule has yet to be formally defined or drafted, but the upshot of all of this will be that base runners will be required to slide into home plate, not initiate contact with the catcher. Likewise, catchers will not be able to block home plate. Rather, they must tag runners — and allow runners a path to the plate — just as any other fielder does at any other base.

what are you suppose to let the other team score .. fuck that .. pussy