• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Holy Crap! Manny _Iaz gets another DC job!

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
La Tech hired that clown to be their DC........OU, you play them to start the season......that's a GUARANTEED 500+ yard day, so if you guys don't put up numbers I'm going to start the FIRE HEUPEL thread early......

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His dad must be the HC, or LA TECh is fucking desperate.....

occupant

Resident Inhabitant and nerve striker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,345.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It wasn't Manny _iaz's fault...it was the culture present at the time.
;)

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
La Tech hired that clown to be their DC........OU, you play them to start the season......that's a GUARANTEED 500+ yard day, so if you guys don't put up numbers I'm going to start the FIRE HEUPEL thread early......

:yahoo: :laugh3: You'll have probably 90% of the OU fans right behind you...

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
;)

Culture was DEFINITELY a problem......but Manny flat out can't coach, as evidenced by Greg Robinson coming in mid season and the defense IMMEDIATELY improving

TexasMan

mfw reading SportsHoopla
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Searls is up and down. If you give him time to get his guys he's not bad though.
OLine was at the very best above average when it was supposed to be a strength of the team last season.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Manny left 8 games earlier than everyone else.
I don't get it.

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Searls was a solid coach, i think if Charlie Strong hadn't landed Wickline searls might still have a job in Austin.

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Searls was a solid coach, i think if Charlie Strong hadn't landed Wickline searls might still have a job in Austin.

Searls is a great guy too and he had much success at LSU he will land on his feet.

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Complex stunts versus obvious running plays
All out jail break pass rushes versus read option scramblers who never pass
Zone defense versus obvious power sets
And some more stunts just because he loves them
But at least he talk them to arm tackle or go for kill shots instead of wrapping up
then a few more stunts

Fun times ahead in LA Tech!!!

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
;)
-
I think this is truer than you think. He did have a top 10 defense. There was much larger issues than Diaz at Texas. There was staff infighting. TExas went to a much riskier defense to get better results after he left. I bet he does better than people think. I wish him luck. He was a good guy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
VT got UT's OLine coach. :happy:
-
Searles did a really good job. He inherited a steaming pile when he came to Texas. His recruiting was top notch. Texas replaced him with Wickline. Wickline is considered one of the best OL coaches in the country. This was not a case of him not being hired, because of his performance.

Phantom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
-
I think this is truer than you think. He did have a top 10 defense. There was much larger issues than Diaz at Texas. There was staff infighting. TExas went to a much riskier defense to get better results after he left. I bet he does better than people think. I wish him luck. He was a good guy.

Totally agree with Coda. There were bigger problems other than Diaz. Diaz might have been part of the problem, but the defense weren't that much better under Robinson. After Diaz left, the schedule got easier for a while and then tougher again. The good teams we did play racked up some pretty good numbers on his defense too. If it would have been warm in Waco and If Mariota doesn't get hurt, Baylor and Oregon would have racked up 10,000 yards of total offense on us. Still say it's mostly a talent problem vs cultural. I hope I'm wrong, but that's the way I see it.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Totally agree with Coda. There were bigger problems other than Diaz. Diaz might have been part of the problem, but the defense weren't that much better under Robinson. After Diaz left, the schedule got easier for a while and then tougher again. The good teams we did play racked up some pretty good numbers on his defense too. If it would have been warm in Waco and If Mariota doesn't get hurt, Baylor and Oregon would have racked up 10,000 yards of total offense on us. Still say it's mostly a talent problem vs cultural. I hope I'm wrong, but that's the way I see it.

I totally disagree with this.

The KEY difference was Robinson's units were more fundamentally sound......NOTICEABLY better tackling, much better scheme, and less players completely out of position.

Iaz's schemes left LBs almost useless, because he had them stunting with no gap integrity. Any run of the mill RB can exploit that, which is what EVERY team we faced did. He also was incapable of making any adjustments.

Talent wasn't at a super high level, but it was more than enough to contain most of the teams we faced. Talent isn't really much of an issue if at all.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The KEY difference was Robinson's units were more fundamentally sound......NOTICEABLY better tackling, much better scheme, and less players completely out of position.

Iaz's schemes left LBs almost useless, because he had them stunting with no gap integrity. Any run of the mill RB can exploit that, which is what EVERY team we faced did. He also was incapable of making any adjustments.

Talent wasn't at a super high level, but it was more than enough to contain most of the teams we faced. Talent isn't really much of an issue if at all.

Robinson went to a lot of 0 safety looks. Left CBs on a island and blitzed his way to reasonable stats. QBs ran at will on the Texas defense all yr. That was never fixed. One of the biggest issues with Diaz was the abortion in the secondary play. People said Diaz's schemes were risky. That is complete BS. Always someone back there. Just doesnt help when your Safeties are Riskies, because they can not tackle. I believe much of the issue was Diaz v Akina. Secondary played much better when Robinson took over and everything went to man to man coverage.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Robinson went to a lot of 0 safety looks. Left CBs on a island and blitzed his way to reasonable stats. QBs ran at will on the Texas defense all yr. That was never fixed. One of the biggest issues with Diaz was the abortion in the secondary play. People said Diaz's schemes were risky. That is complete BS. Always someone back there. Just doesnt help when your Safeties are Riskies, because they can not tackle. I believe much of the issue was Diaz v Akina. Secondary played much better when Robinson took over and everything went to man to man coverage.

I think you may want to analyze Iaz's schemes, because a LOT of them were complete garbage. Zero gap integrity.....that's beyond risky, its' flat out stupid. The BIGGEST problem wasn't secondary play.....it was Linebacker play - noticeably because there was no gap integrity, so they were NEVER in position to make a play, especially on a running QB.

I cannot tell you how many times we showed a cover look vs a power run set, or a blitz package on a 5 WR set.......

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you may want to analyze Iaz's schemes, because a LOT of them were complete garbage. Zero gap integrity.....that's beyond risky, its' flat out stupid. The BIGGEST problem wasn't secondary play.....it was Linebacker play - noticeably because there was no gap integrity, so they were NEVER in position to make a play, especially on a running QB.

I cannot tell you how many times we showed a cover look vs a power run set, or a blitz package on a 5 WR set.......

Linebacker play was horrible. Did quite well when he had upper classman at LB. Not so much with underclassmen. Muschamps recruiting did him very little favors, but he clearly had issues teaching. WTF, is a power look on defense? Manny ran Nickle most of the time. I said QB run was never fixed, consistently terrible. Secondary play was a major concern. Long runs are just as much about terrible Safety play as it is LB play. Amazing people think his schemes are so terrible. 2 yrs ago he was considered a star and a genius for his schemes. Invited to multiple pro teams to come and teach. Rex Ryan was one of those people. I think he lacks on the pure coaching side, but his schemes are not nearly as bad as you think.

Phantom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I admit I could be wrong and I hope so. We will find out pretty quick next year. The coaching staff will be much improved. If the talent is there, it will shine.