• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Here we go again: New Shea Weber rumor surfaces.

MisterHyd3

Pizza is delicious.
Born in Port Richmond, currently living in South J
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hello boys and girls. At the risk of being murdered, I'm reporting a rumor from @KhandymanSports on Twitter that he posted around 1:00 a.m. this morning:

"#Flyers source telling us that they are in serious talks with Nashville regarding Shea Weber." // "Deal would send Haag, Laughton, Hartnell, and Coburn to Nashville. #Flyers"

A guy named @DylanCC_Philly replied: "Sources?"

To which @KhandymanSports wrote: "@DylanCC_Philly: Someone close to Hartnell. This. Is. Not. A. Joke. Actually came from them, can't confirm it."

A few minutes later he posted: "Update on Nashville-#Flyers: they are not necessarily close to a deal but terms have [reportedly] been laid out by both sides."

He spent the next hour or so telling folks that since his source is "close" to Hartnell, take the rumor with a grain of salt given that it didn't come from a team source.

I'd obviously be ecstatic to see Shea Weber in orange and black, but I hope this sort of thing doesn't start an avalanche of conjecture and guessing and a bunch of rumors that don't pan out.

Also, Haag, Laughton, Coburn, and Hartnell is a STEEP price to pay. Laughton and Haag look like the real deal, Coburn is a solid-to-good player (though he was admittedly awful last season) and Hartnell is one of the most well-liked guys on the team. I will say this though: The one thing this team truly lacks outside of a stud defender (Love Kimmo, but he's past his prime) is leadership. I think Streit, Vinny, and Emery are great additions for that kind of thing, but Weber is on a whole other level.

I'd love to see Shea Weber in Philly, and I could live with the players going the other way, but if it's going to happen, I hope it happens soon so that Homer can add a depth winger to take Hartnell's place, and this team can really get a feel for what it's going to be only 40+ games before the preseason starts.

Thoughts? (And please, don't kill me. Even if this does end up being crap, it's still worth reporting and having a dialogue about.)

jerseyjigroe

Experience Quality Trust
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No offense, but I don't believe this for crap. I haven't even heard Eklund or anyone else for that matter talking about this. Sure, I'd love to have him but at this point it sounds like somebody just made this up.

EVille3

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know if I'm buying this rumor. That is A LOT to give up for Weber. Not sure he changes the game that much. Side note, Hartnell would have to waive his NMC and Coburn has a limited NTC, not sure what the terms are for the NTC.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually just realized he originally said "#Flyers source," and then backpedaled saying it was only a source "close to Hartnell." Meh.

This sounds like a trade that will never get done but thanks for posting it This will make good convo for a couple of days

dspice07

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
if this were legit i would rather throw in Morin then Haag

dspice07

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
not going to happen

ha it kind of makes sense if you look at it. the flyers save about 2 mil in cap room and acquire what they need at defense, at the same time clear room on the wing by getting rid of hartnell and his contract for a future signing next year. i don't like giving up on Haag or Laughton as I think especially Laughton is going to be big time, and his girlfriend is a smoke show did anyone see that instagram? i'm just playing out why this rumor would surface, in theory its not that bad of a deal.

raptorlife4

Long Time Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,850.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if we trade Hartnell and 2 of our top prospects Homer should be shit on on his way out the door.

dspice07

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
if we trade Hartnell and 2 of our top prospects Homer should be shit on on his way out the door.

Raptor...Hartnell was on pace last year for 28 points in a full season. He gets paid 4.75 million and all but 1 year everyone was screaming for him to be gone. I like Hartnell but to get a substantial bonafide #1 dman for him and a couple relatively "unproven" prospects is definitely worth it.

jerseyjigroe

Experience Quality Trust
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Essentially four firsts is a lot to give up but that is what it's going to take to get a Shea Weber. This deal is never going to happen, but I would do it...especially since we still get to keep Schenn and Cooter.

dspice07

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Essentially four firsts is a lot to give up but that is what it's going to take to get a Shea Weber. This deal is never going to happen, but I would do it...especially since we still get to keep Schenn and Cooter.

exactly, though i'm higher on laughtons potential then schenn ha but in theory yes i agree,

raptorlife4

Long Time Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,850.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Raptor...Hartnell was on pace last year for 28 points in a full season. He gets paid 4.75 million and all but 1 year everyone was screaming for him to be gone. I like Hartnell but to get a substantial bonafide #1 dman for him and a couple relatively "unproven" prospects is definitely worth it.

Hartnell also had a broken foot and came back early to try to help this team make the playoffs.

This team needs prospects in the system.

I love Weber but the price is way to steep.

MisterHyd3

Pizza is delicious.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No offense, but I don't believe this for crap. I haven't even heard Eklund or anyone else for that matter talking about this. Sure, I'd love to have him but at this point it sounds like somebody just made this up.

None taken. Supposedly, Hartnell's agent said this morning, "I haven't heard that rumor, but if I had, I'd tell you it'd be difficult to move my client with his NTC."

That's that.

MisterHyd3

Pizza is delicious.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This sounds like a trade that will never get done but thanks for posting it This will make good convo for a couple of days

No problem. You know anything re: Shea Weber in orange and black is always gonna make for good conversation regardless of plausibility.

WOOTPOKER

Why you heff to be mad?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Honestly, if this rumor is true (which it probably isn't), this is actually a good trade in my opinion. We keep Schenn / Coots, and add that missing #1 defenseman. Weber really would put this team over the top in my honest opinion, and losing Harts/Coburn and 2 prospects wouldn't set us back in my opinion.

I do believe Harts is a huge part of the chemistry of this team though, and I would try to substitute someone else.

I would absolutely consider a Simmonds, Coburn, Hagg, Laughton trade for Weber.

It would leave our defense:
Weber, Timonen, Schenn, Streit, Grossmann, Gus

Wow.

Anyway, fun to speculate, but I doubt this rumor is true. Although all along I have had a gut feeling that Weber will one day be a Flyer

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
nashville isn't going to trade weber.. the hard part of his contract (signing bonuses) is over and now he's actually somewhat of a steal for a top 5 dman in the game

and even if they were, that's still not enough to get him out of nashville. hartnell can be a 1st line guy, but he can also be a 3rd line penalty machine. hagg, unproven. laughton, people seem to set his ceiling around agitating/shutdown 3rd line C, and coburn is a solid #3 dman. if i were nashville, there's no way i'd give up a franchise cornerstone without getting at least one potential franchise cornerstone in return.

i also wouldn't do that if i were the flyers. the pronger trade murdered the prospect pool back when it happened and the flyers have just now started to recover from that. and the reason they've 'recovered' so fast is because they gave up richards and carter for 3 of their best prospects (schenn, voracek, couturier). are they going to do the same w/ giroux and voracek to recover after they do this deal for weber?

i think it's just someone trying to stir up a philly media that already loves stirring up weber rumors. i'd bet a ton of money that weber never plays for the flyers.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No problem. You know anything re: Shea Weber in orange and black is always gonna make for good conversation regardless of plausibility.

exactly. it's a hits machine.

MisterHyd3

Pizza is delicious.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Per Michael Pantaleone (@BlackOrangeBuzz): "Put those #Flyers Shea Weber rumors from @KhandymanSports to rest - Shea Weber's Agent: 'I haven't even seen that rumor out there.'"

So yeah, that's probably the nail in the coffin on this one. Damn.

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would not believe any Weber to the Flyers rumor from anyone, even if its from Dreger or McKenzie, until the trade is confirmed.

The Weber dream is dead