• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Help me with recipes

Gatorchip

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,015.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Two recipes here... The portions that are circled are planned, but not yet purchased. I'm thinking more hops to the IPA, but not really sure where to go.

These will be my first two partial mashes. I can fit maybe 5 pounds total grain in my cooler.

The recipe on the left is an english pale ale

2962d1330200093-help-me-recipes-ipa-ak74.jpg

Gatorchip

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,015.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess I have to keep the link uploaded?

Attachments

• IPA and AK74.jpg
    IPA and AK74.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 69

Gatorchip

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,015.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2965d1330223259-help-me-recipes-ipa-ak74.jpg

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not much hop diversity in the AK47. I'm not familiar with East Kent Goldings, though, so I don't feel like I should recommend any hop in particular.

I find that both fuggles and Norther Brewer go well with cascade, but again, that depends on the direction you're going.

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not much hop diversity in the AK47. I'm not familiar with East Kent Goldings, though, so I don't feel like I should recommend any hop in particular.

I find that both fuggles and Norther Brewer go well with cascade, but again, that depends on the direction you're going.

EKG's are the premier British hop. If you've ever had any beer from Britain, chances are good it had EKG's in it. It's the hop that Britain treats the way America treats Cascades.

OP, for the IPA, I would bump the Crystal up to a 60 Lovibond to get a richer color. The Carapils could be dropped to a quarter pound or dropped altogether. American IPA's can be characteristically dry and lesser bodied. I'm not clear on the addition of oats. If you do use an adjunct like that (or flaked barley) in such a small mash, be prepared to mash for several hours as you don't really have enough enzymes to convert the starch in the oats into fermentables. For this mash, be sure your mash temp is on the low side. 142-148 is appropriate for this style. Finally, this is a higher gravity beer, so make sure you accommodate your yeast demands. I would definitely do a yeast starter 24-36 hours before your brew.

For the AK47, what style are you going for? It almost looks like a British Brown Ale, but the chocolate is a bit light (not a bad thing, but you might be south of the color range if that's what you're shooting for). One thing I would recommend on this one is to move your bittering hop from 60 minutes to 40 minutes. This gives it a smoother character in the finished beer, while retaining bitterness necessary for balance.

Gatorchip

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,015.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks for the tips.

I've decided to stay away from liquid yeast / starters since I got a funny flavor last time. I'll be just rehydrating dry yeast and hope for the best this round. I know my pitching rate might be a bit low.

The oats are being added because I want to take advantage of the 2-row enzymes (this being my first mash). My understanding is there are enough enzymes in the malt to convert itself as well as an equal portion (i.e. 2 pounds of 2-row + 2 pound of other stuff). My goal is to add a bigger mouthfeel, and the carapils just to get nice head retention. Unfortunately I didn't read your reply before I got the crystal... And if you think those oats will stick the mash, I'll drop it to .25. Low mash temp eh? I'll do that as well.

I also picked up another ounce of cascade and an ounce of centennial for the IPA..

The British pale ale recipe starts as a extract kit, and I just added the partial mash to it... so not really sure what their goal was other than a light british pale ale. I added 1 ounce of EKG as well. The kit only had me add hops at 60m, but it wasn't to a full boil (which I use). I'll take your advice and bitter it at 40 minutes.

Once again, thanks!

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks for the tips.

I've decided to stay away from liquid yeast / starters since I got a funny flavor last time. I'll be just rehydrating dry yeast and hope for the best this round. I know my pitching rate might be a bit low.

The oats are being added because I want to take advantage of the 2-row enzymes (this being my first mash). My understanding is there are enough enzymes in the malt to convert itself as well as an equal portion (i.e. 2 pounds of 2-row + 2 pound of other stuff). My goal is to add a bigger mouthfeel, and the carapils just to get nice head retention. Unfortunately I didn't read your reply before I got the crystal... And if you think those oats will stick the mash, I'll drop it to .25. Low mash temp eh? I'll do that as well.

I also picked up another ounce of cascade and an ounce of centennial for the IPA..

The British pale ale recipe starts as a extract kit, and I just added the partial mash to it... so not really sure what their goal was other than a light british pale ale. I added 1 ounce of EKG as well. The kit only had me add hops at 60m, but it wasn't to a full boil (which I use). I'll take your advice and bitter it at 40 minutes.

Once again, thanks!

No problem. I've always tried to use things like Oats/Flaked Barley in the ten percent of the grain bill range (If I start with 16 pounds base, 2 pounds specialty, I wouldn't go more than 2 pounds of Oats/Flaked Barley). With that , you'll still get what you want out of the adjunct, but you definitely have enough enzymes to convert in a 60-minute mash. Just make sure you're converted before sparging (Iodine test strips; if it turns blue/purple, you're fully converted).

Good luck with the brews. I've got a single-hop pale ale that I'm going to brew this weekend. Kinda need to find more kegs now.

Gatorchip

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,015.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Welp I'm heating up the brew pot now. I got a terrible brewhouse efficiency of 55%. Good thing I have some extract to add!

I had a really hard time with controlling temperature... I did a rest at 115F, which I read helps make sure I dont get a stuck sparge with the oats... then when I added the rest of the hot water to get to 145F, I got up to only 122 haha... But I read that is a protein rest temperature, so thought I was still okay.

I boiled some more water and filled up the mashtun. My mash was way too runny, and I maintained just about 140F... not high enough. I eventually pulled some runnings off of there and added more hot water to bump the temperature up to 142 or so.

My vorlaufing never resulted in a clear wort either, but I suspect that is because I didn't let it settle. I grew impatient.

Live and you learn! I'm sure I will do better than this next round.

I'll pick up some iodine test strips this weekend. Good luck with your brewday.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I need help now, too!

Tell me which style I should make.

I want to brew not this coming Saturday, but the Saturday following.

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I need help now, too!

Tell me which style I should make.

I want to brew not this coming Saturday, but the Saturday following.

I don't know if you have the ability to cold ferment, but it is March. We're tackling a Marzen (Octoberfest) next. What are you in the mood to brew?

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know if you have the ability to cold ferment, but it is March. We're tackling a Marzen (Octoberfest) next. What are you in the mood to brew?

I live in a small, third floor apartment in Tucson, Arizona, so no, I can't cold ferment.

And I'm thinking scotch ale, IPA, or, for something different, a stout.

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I live in a small, third floor apartment in Tucson, Arizona, so no, I can't cold ferment.

And I'm thinking scotch ale, IPA, or, for something different, a stout.

All grain, mini-mash, or extract? I'm actually entering two of my stouts in a club comp tomorrow. I brewed an IPA two weeks ago. I can give lots of advice on those styles.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All grain, mini-mash, or extract? I'm actually entering two of my stouts in a club comp tomorrow. I brewed an IPA two weeks ago. I can give lots of advice on those styles.

Half-mash. I learned in my last brew that I don't have the capacity (equipment wise) to do a full mash.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Two recipes here... The portions that are circled are planned, but not yet purchased. I'm thinking more hops to the IPA, but not really sure where to go.

These will be my first two partial mashes. I can fit maybe 5 pounds total grain in my cooler.

The recipe on the left is an english pale ale

2962d1330200093-help-me-recipes-ipa-ak74.jpg

Chinook (as you probably know) is a nice compliment to Cascade and Centennial...The 3-C's......IF you like a profile like Sierra Nevada PA/IPA

Gatorchip

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,015.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The partial mash IPA was transferred to secondary two days ago. Already has a great nose on it and tastes great, and I still have 1.5 oz of dry hopping to do. I'm excited about this one!

Gatorchip

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,015.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The IPA is perfect.. just slightly too light in color.