• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

heard an ad on the radio today

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that UVA will be holding a spring practice in Hampton...seems like a pretty good way to draw some fans out and get the attention of some potential recruits...wonder if Beamer & Co have thought of this

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Actually i think they will be holding (2) practices away from campus, 1 in hampton and 1 in alexandria. Honestly i think its a great idea because that lets a lot of kids that couldnt travel to whoVA get the chance to make it out to a practice. I'd like to see VT do this once a year out in the tidewater area. <----FWIW im hearing that VT could possibly do this next year, along with the addition of a few more JR days and some camps.

On the other hand you only get 15 practices per spring and every one held off campus is really only a half practice because you have to figure your team isnt as focused as they would be under normal settings. I also find it kind of weird that M. London is using the first 10 practice days for his own evaluations and only allowing his position coaches/coordinators the last 4 days to work on their specifics.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I find it to be a bit gimmicky, but it could be effective. That being said, as much as I want us to increase our recruiting profile, i would still not want us to deviate from the "type" of recruit that we want to get. I want t he workers who want to be here, know the no-nonsense attitude and are willing to battle. I think that this may simply increase our image to those players.

If we are going to sacrifice a practice away from Blacksburg and it not be a full tilt, hard core, yell and scream practice, as hunz said, we only get 15, and I would rather stay home and focus on the guys already here.

VT has a national reputation (look at our three most recent commit lists). People know what we have to offer. Send the kids videos of some of the practices if he can't make it (like the ones posted on Beamerball). If you want to be a Hokie, and you are dedicated, come on down. i think this is good for UVA as it increases the exposure of a floundering team and a new coaching staff. As for us, not necessary.

That is just my opinion though.

I do want us to have a couple more junior days.

vtpoop

Same poop, different day
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed with 46, while it may end up having tremendous results for UVa, it is clearly the act of a desperate program. Seriously, name me one other program that does this?

amszete

STRIKE FIRST|STRIKE HARD.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am definitely fine with focusing on the guys we have at home. However, until this past year it appeared VT was taking a lax approach to recruiting and it was starting to show. That being said I am very impressed that Beamer made the moves that he has made within the last month. He knew something was awry when it came to recruiting and he is doing what he thinks that he needs to in order "get it done".

I am fine with recruiting the dedicated hard workers who fit our system. But I have been saying it time and time again, why can't those dedicated players also be the 4-5 stars that we were missing out on each year? Hopefully we are turning the corner here as we have solid guys already committed for 2012.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am definitely fine with focusing on the guys we have at home. However, until this past year it appeared VT was taking a lax approach to recruiting and it was starting to show. That being said I am very impressed that Beamer made the moves that he has made within the last month. He knew something was awry when it came to recruiting and he is doing what he thinks that he needs to in order "get it done".

I am fine with recruiting the dedicated hard workers who fit our system. But I have been saying it time and time again, why can't those dedicated players also be the 4-5 stars that we were missing out on each year? Hopefully we are turning the corner here as we have solid guys already committed for 2012.

Oh, I agree completely. All I am saying is that those guys you speak of will ocme to Tech for a visit. The Curtis Grant/Travis Hughes, Landon Turner, Stephon Diggs, Joel Caleb prospects do not get wowed by stuff like this. They are good and smart enough to know whether or not Tech is worth a visit and getting them on campus is the key, followed by closing. The new guys are good at these two things.

I feel like the off-campus practices is more sueful for casting a bigger net for the 2 and 3 star guys. The big time guys will come to Blacksburg. Afte that, it is on us to close.

amszete

STRIKE FIRST|STRIKE HARD.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh I agree completely! Maybe M. London will shed a tear or two after we wax them on the recruiting trail this year. :)

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
another couple 2-3 win seasons and losses to duke and it wont matter if ML practices on the moon or in the bahamas, kids will start to remember what whoVa is all about. FWIW though i do gotta give ML credit for thinking outside the box a little <----how many recruits do we miss out on because they couldnt make it to VT for a visit? To a point ML is bringing whoVa to the kids. I do agree with 46 though, it is a bit gimmicky and VT is/should be at the point that we dont need to do such things.

Last edited by a moderator:

hokie43

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I'm all for an extra junior day or two. one in the spring, and one in the summer should be enough to atleast show the recruits our traditions, facilities, and to meet other coaches and people in the program. heck, let them eat a turkey leg if they want, I dont know...haha