• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Hassan Whiteside

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
classless whiteside left the locker room before the media got there :L

BobGnarly

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd say this isn't the way to handle your time in the spotlight.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As far as his attitude goes, I guess it depends on if he's Derrick Coleman-like or JR Rider-ish.

Guys like Coleman, Wallace, Barkley and Rodman pre-Spurs, were idiots some times. But, they were productive.

The kid is obviously a beast on the glass and blocking shots. It is extremely hard to do what he does- lurking in the paint and having the back of his guards so they can take gambles. His individual defense should improve as long as he works at it and takes coaching.

My thing with Whiteside is- say you have a guy like Monroe- who, more or less is similar talent wise (obviously Whiteside is a much better shot-blocker, and has the rebounding edge- while Monroe has a nicely polished offensive game and probably is at this time a better 1 on 1 defender).....they are both just about the same age- Monroe actually is 1 year younger than Whiteside.

If you are going to commit- say 12-16 million a year- for 3-4 years- Do you feel comfortable doing that for Whiteside? I definitely do for Monroe.....Whiteside right now makes barely anything - knows he has to be on his best behavior and for the most part he has been fine- but he has had a couple incidents.

If you are a GM do you commit (say its 14M a year for 3 years- 42M GUARANTEED)- 42 million dollars in this guy? There seems to be a certain amount of risk there.

Luckily for the Heat- they have a good infrastructure including Spo, Riley, Bosh, and Wade to try and keep the kid in line. Say if he went to the Lakers- they would have a strong coach in Scott, and Kobe.

But if you are a team like the Sixers with a first time head coach, and basically no veteran players- i think the risk is increased over what it would already be for a team with an infrastructure like Miami where there has already been some issues...

what do you guys think?

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the middle of a freaking playoffs race :L
being a first time offender I doubt he gets over 1 game though.....at a max it would be 2....but for the first time offense i think that would be a lot to do multiple games

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The kid is obviously a beast on the glass and blocking shots. It is extremely hard to do what he does- lurking in the paint and having the back of his guards so they can take gambles. His individual defense should improve as long as he works at it and takes coaching.

My thing with Whiteside is- say you have a guy like Monroe- who, more or less is similar talent wise (obviously Whiteside is a much better shot-blocker, and has the rebounding edge- while Monroe has a nicely polished offensive game and probably is at this time a better 1 on 1 defender).....they are both just about the same age- Monroe actually is 1 year younger than Whiteside.

If you are going to commit- say 12-16 million a year- for 3-4 years- Do you feel comfortable doing that for Whiteside? I definitely do for Monroe.....Whiteside right now makes barely anything - knows he has to be on his best behavior and for the most part he has been fine- but he has had a couple incidents.

If you are a GM do you commit (say its 14M a year for 3 years- 42M GUARANTEED)- 42 million dollars in this guy? There seems to be a certain amount of risk there.

Luckily for the Heat- they have a good infrastructure including Spo, Riley, Bosh, and Wade to try and keep the kid in line. Say if he went to the Lakers- they would have a strong coach in Scott, and Kobe.

But if you are a team like the Sixers with a first time head coach, and basically no veteran players- i think the risk is increased over what it would already be for a team with an infrastructure like Miami where there has already been some issues...

what do you guys think?

I think the Heat are lucky they don't have to decide for another year.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
being a first time offender I doubt he gets over 1 game though.....at a max it would be 2....but for the first time offense i think that would be a lot to do multiple games

Yeah no way he gets multiple games. Only way that would happen is if someone gets literally gets into a fist fight

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Welp.....Hope the Kid gets it together.

After the game, the Heat's other co-captain, Dwyane Wade, had some tough words for Whiteside, who is on thin ice with the Heat despite his immense talent and despite the Heat's decimated roster.

From Wade, who didn't emerge from the training room after the game until around 10:50 p.m.:

"He's had enough veteran advice. There comes a time where you have to do it yourself. There's only so many words people can continue to say to you. You gotta do it. Not for you, you got to do it for the other guys you see in here sacrificing — that you see out there playing hurt and all the things you see going on. You're part of a team. You're part of an organization.

"We all have our moments, selfish moments, but you can't continue to keep having them because you got to be reliable, and you got to be able to be counted on. And right now, if he continues to act that way, then he's not reliable."

And it's only going to get more difficult for Whiteside over the next several weeks. How do you think the scouting report on Whiteside will read tomorrow? Teams will be pushing him to lose his cool during every possession. He's a marked man at this point, if he wasn't already.

Heat Check | Miami Herald & MiamiHerald.com

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Welp.....Hope the Kid gets it together.

After the game, the Heat's other co-captain, Dwyane Wade, had some tough words for Whiteside, who is on thin ice with the Heat despite his immense talent and despite the Heat's decimated roster.

From Wade, who didn't emerge from the training room after the game until around 10:50 p.m.:

"He's had enough veteran advice. There comes a time where you have to do it yourself. There's only so many words people can continue to say to you. You gotta do it. Not for you, you got to do it for the other guys you see in here sacrificing — that you see out there playing hurt and all the things you see going on. You're part of a team. You're part of an organization.

"We all have our moments, selfish moments, but you can't continue to keep having them because you got to be reliable, and you got to be able to be counted on. And right now, if he continues to act that way, then he's not reliable."

And it's only going to get more difficult for Whiteside over the next several weeks. How do you think the scouting report on Whiteside will read tomorrow? Teams will be pushing him to lose his cool during every possession. He's a marked man at this point, if he wasn't already.

Heat Check | Miami Herald & MiamiHerald.com

this kid could have the world at his fingertips if he kept his head down and his mouth shut....he kind of reminds me of Josh Gordon

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was just a weird play... seemed to come out of nowhere.

He's young (in terms of league experience). Fortunately for him he's part of an organization that will handle this well. The front office, coaching staff, and his teammates are going to be unified in their message to him that it isn't acceptable.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's obvious that he's a headcase.
Here's a man that was eating ramon noodles in Lebanon a year ago, that prob could have a 40-50M contract in a year if he can just behave.

At least he has Beasley to mentor him.:yes:

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The kid has all the talent in the world - but we all know why he has not been in the league the last few years- and its not because teams missed his talent.

Spoelstra sits him down a game for having a bad attitude and then this.....in the grand scheme of things they are pretty minor hiccups.

I just would not want to be the general manager to risk my job and like 20% of my cap space on him once hes up for an extension. It will be a tough call for whoever is going to sign him to an extension eventually.

And you just hope that during the playoffs- when it really matters he is on his best behavior.

after looking at that foul...i dont even understand it....its not like it was even like someone going up for a basket and him making sure the guy doesnt get it and goes overboard----- I personally cant remember ever seeing a play like that where a guy basically spears someone right in the back....strange....

for people watching the game- was Olynk getting on his nerves or something previous to that?

Didn't see the game, but at the very beginning of the video, it looks like they traded elbows. Olynyk has kind of an awkward style of play (for lack of a better term) that can be frustrating. Plus, the Heat and Celtics are within 2 games of each other fighting for a playoff spot. It's likely they had been going at each other for most of the game and Whiteside got frustrated.

Having said that, he's going to have to learn to maintain his composure no matter what happens.