• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Has Kareem Hunt been figured out? It seems so.

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No TD's since week 3

His last 4 games he is 58/191 (3.29 per carry), and 10 catches for 165 yards, no TD's

Will Kareem Hunt ever return to his early season form?

Kareem Hunt started the 2017 campaign on a tear, as his 32.3 fantasy points per game average in Weeks 1-3 led the league in that category. Hunt has been nowhere near as productive since then, as his 13.7 points per game average in Weeks 4-9 ranks 15th among running backs and represents a 57.6 percent fantasy scoring drop-off.

So what has caused this issue? It isn't the quality of the team's run blocking as a whole, as Kansas City has posted a GBR at or above the 41.1 percent leaguewide GBR average in seven of nine contests this season.

The problem for Hunt is that he has received a GBR at or above the leaguewide GBR average in only two games this year, both of which occurred in the aforementioned elite stretch in Weeks 1-3.

Hunt also hasn't been anywhere near as productive of late in my good blocking yards per attempt (GBYPA) metric. He was above the elite double-digit GBYPA bar in each of the first three games of the season, but since then has posted a double-digit GBYPA only once and has posted a GBYPA of lower than the 8.7 leaguewide average in that category in four of six games.

It may surprise you to learn that Hunt's regression in GBR and GBYPA isn't a result of increased defensive presence in the tackle box. Hunt faced an extra defender in the box on 12.7 snaps per game during Weeks 1-3, a total that ranked seventh highest among running backs. Since then, Hunt has seen an extra tackle box defender on an average of 8.3 snaps per game, which ranks 18th among running backs in that time frame.

What this indicates is that defenses are finding effective ways to attack the Chiefs blocking when Hunt is in the lineup without using a safety in the box to do it. Dropping the safety back downfield has also limited the upside of Hunt's breakaway rushes.

The fantasy takeaway here is that there are too many negatives working against Hunt to expect a return to his early season form, so fantasy managers should accept that he is apt to be an RB2 for the rest of the season.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Uh, Hunt no.

Dallas did a good job disguising their intent on run defense. Offense didn't run on the right fronts and played into Dallas' trap. More success in the 2nd half when adjustments were made, but the run got abandoned as they fell behind. Hunt had 9 attempts on Sunday.

Dallas is allowing under 20 points a game when Sean Lee is on the field...

Being figured out is getting hit in the backfield I guess these days.

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Uh, Hunt no.

Dallas did a good job disguising their intent on run defense. Offense didn't run on the right fronts and played into Dallas' trap. More success in the 2nd half when adjustments were made, but the run got abandoned as they fell behind. Hunt had 9 attempts on Sunday.

Dallas is allowing under 20 points a game when Sean Lee is on the field...

Being figured out is getting hit in the backfield I guess these days.
i keep waiting.

he averaged 4.1 a carry vs a middle of the pack run D, lee or no lee.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he has the looks of a really good back, doesnt seem fluky to me.......Andy only gave him 9 carries last week, so I think game plan is affecting him a bit.....I think he will be really good, his amazing start was not sustainable

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i keep waiting.

lol sounds like someone's still pissed that a rookie RB tore his defense's ass wide open during primetime week 1:dhd:

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i keep waiting.

On 9 attempts.

I say this all the time, but the running game is not really about skill for the most part. It's a numbers and blocking game. Jacksonville completely shutdown Le'Veon Bell; the supposed worst run defense in the NFL.

Hunt in the beginning of the year was around 3.5 yards before there was even contact. He has more broken tackles than Zeke did all season- two weeks ago. Saying Hunt himself has been figured out is way off the mark, imo. Only thing it proves is he is like >90% of backs in that he can't make the guys block in front of him.

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
kareem hunt will be a fine RB in this league for many seasons to come, don't you worry your pretty little head, rock.

packerzrule

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 30.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The schemes that they use him in are fooling nobody lately

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he has the looks of a really good back, doesnt seem fluky to me.......Andy only gave him 9 carries last week, so I think game plan is affecting him a bit.....I think he will be really good, his amazing start was not sustainable
Blocking scheme got owned in the first half vs Dallas. KC is a zone running team so they just got baited into the wrong spots. The line is designed to out-athlete you, not overpower you. Not an accident Hunt's bigger runs were in the 2nd half.

He's not prime Jamaal Charles or [insert all time great runner when healthy here good]. But... I am not sure anyone in the league is at the moment.

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol sounds like someone's still pissed that a rookie RB tore his defense's ass wide open during primetime week 1:dhd:
no, i have him in fantasy and hes killing me.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Blocking scheme got owned in the first half vs Dallas. KC is a zone running team so they just got baited into the wrong spots. The line is designed to out-athlete you, not overpower you. Not an accident Hunt's bigger runs were in the 2nd half.

Sometimes you just know a kid is a player...That strong lower half, great hands, solid vision, I think he is the real deal......

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
kareem hunt will be a fine RB in this league for many seasons to come, don't you worry your pretty little head, rock.
im sure he will. i was very high on him coming out of toledo. its why i drafted him so high in fantasy. i saw a lot to like.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no, i have him in fantasy and hes killing me.

I hear ya buddy!....I get just as pissed, I cursed Jordy Nelson all night and Mike Evans all day Sunday, and Davonte Freeman can suck a bag of dicks with his season

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sometimes you just know a kid is a player...That strong lower half, great hands, solid vision, I think he is the real deal......
He's very good, he's just not Barry Sanders or something like that. Therefore, he's subject to everyone else around him. Like probably 32 out of 32 team's RB's. Bell being the only one that's arguable, imo.

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
im sure he will. i was very high on him coming out of toledo. its why i drafted him so high in fantasy. i saw a lot to like.

rock, rock, relax. he'll be fine.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This ^^^

The kid seems to have all the traits of being a good RB, but if you've never faced a player some things you can't pick up on tape...such as exactly how fast a player is, power, quickness, etc. Teams will sort that out over time, but his production was so far off the charts that it was never realistic to sustain it.

megalodon30

Archduke of Crosstown Busses
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,967.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let it be known the Broncos shut him down first. And we shut down Elliot, too. I need something to ban my hat on this year.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IIRC, Andy Reid was always known as a guy who would abandon the run in Philly. Can anyone else older than 30 back me up on this because I think its a thing?

A lot of it is just sustaining drives. In the Dallas game, a small amount of Alex Smith stats are garbage time and imo I dont think he had a good game. Some late sacks were bad, too. The game actually very closely resembled the playoff game last year against the Steelers except Dak right now is better than Big Ben was.

There is someone on twitter who said that the Chiefs Center was tipping the defense to the snap. Not sure if that has anything to do with anything