• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

haha - Austin Davis Gets the Start NOT Manziel

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meh, Manziel finishes the season as their starting QB.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eh someone like San Fran or Dallas will snag him for a 4th rounder.

Inquisitor95

Unexpected Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Johnny should sit on the bench and watch until he learns how to lose properly. The Browns way.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man how the "mighty" have fallen

Browns announce that Austin Davis not Manziel with be the starting QB against the Bengals

IDK this Davis fella at all, but this appears to be classic case of cutting off your nose to spite your face...it's silly. Even if they decide...ok we've had enough of this guy (no one could blame them)...if he's the best option you should play him...the worst that could happen is you lose the game...but, on the chance that JM plays decent, maybe another team will give you something for him as a backup.

As it stands now...they're just going to wait until CLE releases him.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man how the "mighty" have fallen

Browns announce that Austin Davis not Manziel with be the starting QB against the Bengals

This pisses me off. If Davis is starting then Dallas will never have a chance to get a better draft spot than CLE.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This pisses me off. If Davis is starting then Dallas will never have a chance to get a better draft spot than CLE.

actually never heard of Davis to be honest

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Sgt Brutus

Goober
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We can't even lose right, zero first round picks in all these years of sucking. We'll play ourselves out of the first pick.. probably the last week of the season too.

Factory of sadness

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Probably doesn't matter...aside from SF, every opponent CLE plays is fighting for the playoffs...if they do better than 1-4 (hopefully PIT is not the 1) I will be surprised...CLE will be taking a QB and not expecting it, but I wouldn't be shocked if DAL doesn't draft Romo's heir apparent as well.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We can't even lose right, zero first round picks in all these years of sucking. We'll play ourselves out of the first pick.. probably the last week of the season too.

Factory of sadness

I hope the hell not, but it's lining up for CLE to get a better QB prospect than they had probably since Bernie...they won't blow it.

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
coach Mike Pettine indicated Wednesday that he is open to turning back to Johnny Manziel as the Browns' starter at some point.

The Browns spent all of last week trashing Manziel publicly for allegedly "lying" to them about some video of him partying. Days after losing Josh McCown to a fractured collarbone, the Browns are now rethinking their stance on Manziel. "This is a weekly thing," Pettine said of the decision between Johnny Football and Austin Davis. "It's Austin for this week and I'm not going to go beyond that. We'll revisit this (week to week)." The decision will come down to Davis' performance.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IDK this Davis fella at all, but this appears to be classic case of cutting off your nose to spite your face...it's silly. Even if they decide...ok we've had enough of this guy (no one could blame them)...if he's the best option you should play him...the worst that could happen is you lose the game...but, on the chance that JM plays decent, maybe another team will give you something for him as a backup.

As it stands now...they're just going to wait until CLE releases him.
On the other hand, if they do plan on keeping him then making sure he learns his lesson could be invaluable. You can't do the things he's done, lie about them, and then expect a slap on the wrist. He needs to be shown that his off-field antics have real on-field consequences. So, if the plan is to currently move forward with him into next year, then I think this is the right move 100%.

And lest be honest...neither QB gives them much chance of winning any of their remaining games. Not that any coach would say that out loud, but it's just pretty much a fact of the matter.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On the other hand, if they do plan on keeping him then making sure he learns his lesson could be invaluable. You can't do the things he's done, lie about them, and then expect a slap on the wrist. He needs to be shown that his off-field antics have real on-field consequences. So, if the plan is to currently move forward with him into next year, then I think this is the right move 100%.

And lest be honest...neither QB gives them much chance of winning any of their remaining games. Not that any coach would say that out loud, but it's just pretty much a fact of the matter.

That's the part I have the most trouble with...what has he REALLY done that's so disruptive to the team? I know he told them he would cut back on partying and the 1st chance he got (bye week) he didn't cut back.

Why are the Browns so concerned about that if he has not gotten into any legal trouble?

I think CLE is going to take a QB fairly high in the '16 draft...what's going on here imo is the FO wanted to see JM on the field so teams could get a good look at him...if he played great...okay maybe they don't use a 1st rd pick. But like you said...neither one of these guys are the answer long term. I think that's the real reason they have taken this route.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's the part I have the most trouble with...what has he REALLY done that's so disruptive to the team? I know he told them he would cut back on partying and the 1st chance he got (bye week) he didn't cut back.

Why are the Browns so concerned about that if he has not gotten into any legal trouble?

I think CLE is going to take a QB fairly high in the '16 draft...what's going on here imo is the FO wanted to see JM on the field so teams could get a good look at him...if he played great...okay maybe they don't use a 1st rd pick. But like you said...neither one of these guys are the answer long term. I think that's the real reason they have taken this route.
Long answer short, IMO, is that they must feel his off-field antics are hampering his on-field production.

As for lying about the stuff...it's time to just grow up and admit things. Then again, he's not the first athlete to lie like that and get caught, and he certainly won't be the last.

I find this whole scenario interesting because many times athletes do things like this and people are like "Well, if that team really wanted to do what's right they'd do XYZ", but then when a team actually does do XYZ, people are like "Why are they being so harsh? What's the big deal".

I'm actually kind of impressed they stuck to their guns and kept him on the bench another week (though, knowing your season is in the shitter certainly does beg the question if they'd have done this if they were in a playoff hunt, which is fair game). What that means for the future? Your guess is as good as mine.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Long answer short, IMO, is that they must feel his off-field antics are hampering his on-field production.

As for lying about the stuff...it's time to just grow up and admit things. Then again, he's not the first athlete to lie like that and get caught, and he certainly won't be the last.

I find this whole scenario interesting because many times athletes do things like this and people are like "Well, if that team really wanted to do what's right they'd do XYZ", but then when a team actually does do XYZ, people are like "Why are they being so harsh? What's the big deal".

I'm actually kind of impressed they stuck to their guns and kept him on the bench another week (though, knowing your season is in the shitter certainly does beg the question if they'd have done this if they were in a playoff hunt, which is fair game). What that means for the future? Your guess is as good as mine.

To some degree it would have to...preparation is 90% of the job as a QB...again though...he was coming off his best performance....I think he just pissed them off and they've had enough.

Playoff hunt...the short answer...imo...no, they would play the best option they have..the HC owes that to the other 52 players.

I will go a step further based on their handling of Josh Gordon...if JM was a legit franchise prospect like a Bortles lets say...maybe he sits a game for this at most, if at all.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Neither Austin Davis nor Johnny Manziel have been given a real chance to win in the NFL. You can't really evaluate either one until they have a chance to be on a top 20 offense. Davis is the better QB right now but Manziel probably has the higher upside. If they dont like JFF then they need to trade him ASAP while he still has some value.

Scooby-Doo

Ruh-roh
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If their plan is to get rid of Manziel after the season this makes no sense. Their season is lost already so whatever personal gripes they have with Johnny are really irrelevant now. They will want to get something for him in a trade and the only way that happens is if they let other teams get a good look at him playing. I think they may as well let him play. If nothing else the Cleveland fans will have some fun watching him and I think that's all they want for the rest of the year.
I disagree. If he plays well the entire fan base will revolt if they let him go. If he plays poorly, his value only goes down.