• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Great job by the officials

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would much rather the officials looking at the play on the court then on the side lines. Too much happens on the court and sometimes it needs everyone's attention to be called. I see your point though.

Me too. I don't want all the officials watching the game when they should know that a time out is coming though.

And I know you'll say that it's not the refs job to know when a time out is being called but with two time outs left and 2 seconds left they should know it's a possibility.

TrollyMcTroller

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The job of the officials is to CALL THE GAME! Not look for time-outs though uncfan103. They should focus on the court and players and out of the corner of their eyes (easier said than done) see a time-out being called.

Last time I checked, time outs are part of the game, and looking for them is just as much part of the duties of the officiating crew as calling fouls, OOB and turnovers, etc.

RGrabber

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They got rid of the intentional foul rule. Intent is irrelevant now, right?
Not sure on the intent rule. However, when someone is on a breakaway and is fouled from behind, I think they call an intentional foul and do give two shots and the ball.

RGrabber

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is fundamentally different from the last 31 seconds, there's no shot clock anymore (on the change of possession that they'd be checking).

Trying to argue that possessions at the beginning of the game are just as important as possessions at the end of a close game is simply illogical.
I have a hard time believing that you agree with your own comments. First of all there is a 35 second clock, so the last 31 no longer has a shot clock.

But to say that possessions early in the game are not as important as those in the last 30 is beyond real. The only issue is that there is more time to make them up by increased risk taking. The last 30 seconds may be more exiting but certainly not more important. The points scored for each basket are the same, are they not. So lost points due to ref mistakes are important. Most obviously this is pointed out by the math. If I lost two points due to bad call, my team might be down by 1 rather than up by one and vice versa.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last time I checked, time outs are part of the game, and looking for them is just as much part of the duties of the officiating crew as calling fouls, OOB and turnovers, etc.

true though usually in these end game situations and tight games officials are usually watching the game on the court instead of the sideline

dcZONAfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
true though usually in these end game situations and tight games officials are usually watching the game on the court instead of the sideline

these were my thoughts after Kane made the layup: "how many timeouts does UNC have" and "they need to call one before they inbound the ball or the game is over" and then "THE CLOCK DIDN'T START!!!!!!!!"

You're telling me the officials weren't thinking the same thing?

Last edited by a moderator:

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a hard time believing that you agree with your own comments. First of all there is a 35 second clock, so the last 31 no longer has a shot clock.

But to say that possessions early in the game are not as important as those in the last 30 is beyond real. The only issue is that there is more time to make them up by increased risk taking. The last 30 seconds may be more exiting but certainly not more important. The points scored for each basket are the same, are they not. So lost points due to ref mistakes are important. Most obviously this is pointed out by the math. If I lost two points due to bad call, my team might be down by 1 rather than up by one and vice versa.

Exactly what I said.

Since all points are weighted the same...you can't argue, logically, that the last 30 seconds of scoring is more important.

It may SEEM more important because the time is almost out, but the fact of the matter is, every shot is important...every foul, everything. To change the way you (as a ref) would call a game based on the time means that you (as a ref) are affecting the outcome.

This goes right along with that whole "Let them play" or "You don't call a foul there" argument. I hate that. If it is a foul, your job (as a ref) is to call the foul. The players decide the game when the commit the fouls. Refs only decide the game/affect the game when they decide to ignore their job and not follow their job..i.e. not call a foul/travel/charge, etc...

Just a pet peeve of mine when people say "You got to let them play there" or "You can't call a foul there" and then complain about the refs deciding the game, when in truth it is the exact opposite.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
these were my thoughts after Kane made the layup: "how many timeouts does UNC have" and "they need to call one before they inbound the ball or the game is over" and then "THE CLOCK DIDN'T START!!!!!!!!"

clearly (unfortunately) they were not

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure on the intent rule. However, when someone is on a breakaway and is fouled from behind, I think they call an intentional foul and do give two shots and the ball.

It's a flagrant foul if I'm not mistaken. So, if the foul at the end of the game when teams are trying to foul isn't excessive it doesn't matter if it's intentional or not because it's not a flagrant I or II.

I think

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I am telling you at least one official wasn't thinking about the possibility of it at all. Skip ahead :47 and tell me that you think that official thought UNC might be calling a time out.

Regardless, Carolina wasn't winning the game so it doesn't matter. But I will tell you that I don't think the official realized it was a remote possibility when he ran right by Roy Williams signaling and screaming for a time out. Also, the clock not starting on time was irrelevant, the game ended before the time out even though the clock started late originally.

Last edited by a moderator:

RGrabber

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would like to see that changed. Breaking the rules (a foul) should not be allowed to be a strategy for victory. The offended team should at least have the choice to take the ball out bounds.

Or, if a losing team fouls in the last 2 minutes, it should be two shots even if there are less than 10 fouls up to that time. And while we at it, lets get rid of fouling with 4 or 5 seconds left when a team has a 3 point lead. Easy, three shots in such a situation.