• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Goodell proposes automatic ejection rule

old1r1sh

It's a Great Day for Hockey
Hoopla Cash
$ 990.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He thinks players should be automatically ejected if they are flagged for two personal fouls in a single game. This reminds me of getting two yellow cards in soccer and getting ejected. I think I might favor such a rule change.

Goodell proposes ejection for two personal fouls

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am down with this. Too many douchebags (looking at you, Burfict) who seem to like getting an extra cheap shot in whenever they're given an opportunity.

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Add more complications to an already broken system? Sure sounds like a great idea.

RobToxin

Roid Raging
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good idea maybe.

Problem is the idiot ref gives you a personal foul for a clean hit just because it looked a bit too violent and then where do we go?

Ejecting players for hard but clean hits that the ref never should have thrown a flag for?

That's going to go over real well.

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds good, only thing is an official upstairs or with the game film on hand should make the call based on replay of the fouls. You don't stop the game for reviewing personal fouls, but they are looked at as the game continues. That way if one was "leading with the helmet" and the review shows he hit with the shoulder, it isn't counted as one of the two. If there is a 2nd, the player comes out and the game would go on and if the review was deemed not a personal foul, he can return.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Goodell should be sending a message that our world is filled with too many me-first, thug-fueled gang inspired turds that really are nothing but a scourge on society. These sub-humans have no business in the professional world of the NFL......but they make him money so....

Reactions: GNG

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good idea maybe.

Problem is the idiot ref gives you a personal foul for a clean hit just because it looked a bit too violent and then where do we go?

Ejecting players for hard but clean hits that the ref never should have thrown a flag for?

That's going to go over real well.

That's why you get 2 and not 1. When was the last time you saw 1 player commit 2 accidental clean personal fouls in 1 game? That rarely happens. Yes sometimes a person gets flagged for a clean hit but more often than not the person committing the personal foul did it on purpose.

Oldschool739

It's my Country, Flag, Bible, Gun. Don't try it !
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He thinks players should be automatically ejected if they are flagged for two personal fouls in a single game. This reminds me of getting two yellow cards in soccer and getting ejected. I think I might favor such a rule change.

Goodell proposes ejection for two personal fouls

The problem with that approach is that a major player could get 2 nit pick flags as we've seen umpteen times and get ejected at the refs decision, and cost an important or even a championship game....If they are going to use a 2 strike out, there has to be clear and specific guidelines as to what level of personal foul and have the decision ruled on by an off field judge to keep it from being abused as much as the rest of the rules are by the many incompetent refs in today's game....

Dude

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,999.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem with that approach is that a major player could get 2 nit pick flags as we've seen umpteen times and get ejected at the refs decision, and cost an important or even a championship game....If they are going to use a 2 strike out, there has to be clear and specific guidelines as to what level of personal foul and have the decision ruled on by an off field judge to keep it from being abused as much as the rest of the rules are by the many incompetent refs in today's game....
I don't think they are talking about a nit pick foul. Most surely this is a direct result of that Bengals-Steelers game that was as dirty as you can get.

Guywithtoaster

Don't bane the dillies!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,515.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

{+}Mother-Marge{+}

Hoopla Cash
$ 50.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Refs throw personal foul flags any time something looks violent.

The only way that this could work would if the personal fouls are reviewable and refs can determine intent.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's a bad idea. They just need to get more aggressive with suspensions. If they institute something like that they might be hesitant to flag a guy because they know he'll be ejected if they do.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a fan of this. You already fine these guys for any hit that even looks questionable why then kick them out of games? I mean right now personal fouls can be as much as having 1 finger on a players face mask. Are we really going to kick a guy out for accidentally getting his hands in a players face mask? Or as others have mentioned any kind of violent hit these days it seems like the error on the side of caution and throw the flag. To me if you have this rule then yeah you have to make those kind of hits reviewable. I mean we are talking about changing to course of some games possibly by having these aggressive players not only penalized but then kicked out of the game. This is just again another advantage added to the offense as most personal fouls will be against the defense.

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fuck this. Terrible idea, so it should not be surprising Goodell would favor it. The last thing we need is for this to turn into that clusterfuck they have going on in college with all the BS ejections for targeting. Only way you even consider this is if all personal fouls are reviewed, but even then I don't trust the refs and the NFL to not fuck this up. We've all seen what constitutes a personal foul nowadays. If this gets passed, prepare for an even bigger shit show.

Edit: Fucking autocorrect

Guywithtoaster

Don't bane the dillies!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,515.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One thing to consider is that a rule like this might cause more personal fouls. Just think if a starting player on defense has 1 personal foul already, whats to stop the offense from putting out a 3rd or 4th string "sacrificial lamb" to incite an altercation just so both can get personal fouls thus leading to the defender getting ejected.

I know in soccer guys that get 1 yellow card all of a sudden have opposing players flopping left and right around him just with the hope the ref pulls out another yellow card.

Dude

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,999.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly? I kind of liked it.

A lot.
What did you like about it? Pauses every five minutes to untangle these idiot players showing off. There's nothing I like more than a game with good fair smashes, but when you break the rules you should be ejected. Plays to the integrity of the game. How many clean smash-mouth games have you seen with few penalties called? Those are the good ones. Cheap shots are exactly that, players who look for a cheap shot.

Dude

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,999.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll propose an example of hard hitting game without the drama of dirty players ... Coming up, SB 50, watch and learn.