• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Good, Bad, and the Ugly

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some injuries, the guys played through. A knee problem, they suffered and their hitting showed it.
Today, medicine and the high price of talent puts guys in the clinic a lot sooner. Investment, I guess it is. Technology.

The pitching injuries ... what bugs me is that people who know what is causing it are reluctant to say that because the pitches that cause the problem are also the ones that are getting opposing hitters out. If I am Price, I am not going to say that the slider is causing my guy to get hurt because (a.) I can't prove it and (b.) it helps me win games. So I will say I don't know for sure what causes it.

Once the pitchers refuse to throw it, the offenses will start picking up again and only the stupid pitchers will keep throwing it. Finally, coaches will tell them to throw something else and baseball will change the rules again.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For pitchers it's a risk versus reward scenario. As we've discussed in other threads there is an increase in cutters, two seamers to deceive the hitter. If you look at the typical MLB cutter grip it promotes increased abduction and adduction in the arm with it's off centered placement of fingers and thumb. The less stressful grip is thumb centered, but results in reduced action on the ball. Pitchers take the risk chasing the reward of a big payday or as in many cases just trying to keep their job. It's the same mindset that fueled widespread use of PED's.

Athlete's just seem to keep getting bigger, faster, and stronger while the human body remains bone and softer tissue. It's never the running fast that hurts, it's the sudden stops. Whether it's crashing into the wall, sliding hard into 2B, or a ball traveling at excessive speed, the human body generally doesn't win the battle.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How about Mesoraco?!!!!

That game might still be going on scoreless if he doesn't clobber that mistake pitch. The Reds get the Phillies' lefties the next two games. Mesoraco has been the Reds best hitter against LHP during his small career sample size. The team needs someone......or two..... to provide a boost in the abundant number of low scoring games they're finding themselves in. The attempts at small ball has had mixed results, but the three run homer will always be a game changer. Keep running and hammering those mistakes. The running often leads to the latter.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd bet on 3 factors entering into the injury equasion right now...lack of PED's to hasten the recovery of injuries contributed by muscles enhanced by prior PED use(beyond what the connective tissue their Momma gave them) can withstand, and med staffs headed by guys like our Dr. Quackcheck not being able to tell the difference in "loose bodies" and shredded tissue.

They used to blame injuries in AstroTurf and pitch counts, but they still happen regularly without those concerns.

Urgency is important, WHEN the talent to win is present. Not do much, if your best chance to win is when the guys in AA are ready. Jocketty blew that one waiting on Dusty to get a clue. But, staus quo is always questionable strategy...especially when I gotta believe that an engaged staff had an inkling Latos was an issue when they scheduled his elbow procedure, and offense might be a problem when Choo escaped Dusty's quagmire. Schumaker and Pena were astute signings, sound guys for roles that would make a solid everyday lineup better...but with flawed hitters up and down the lineup, I have to believe Jocketty's best moves were limited to signing them, moving Hanagan to get Mesoraco more AB's, signing Bailey, and hoping for health, better fundamental growth from Bruce, Frazier, Cozart under Price, and return to form from Votto, and potentially more offensive production from Phillips, put in a more fitting lineup role than Dusty saw.

So, IMO, Jocketty's big mistake wasn't this winter, it was 3 years ago. I think this team is a product of best available options after pissing away better options. There are few teams that could thrive missing 2 of the best 3 pitchers, the only 30HR hitter, and a .400 OBP leadoff man. Choo is the only one of those that could be blamed on Jocketty directly, and if the Reds had won, maybe Choo would have stick around...and Bailey would be next to bail to Texas...too many ifs to ponder.

I'm thrilled this isn't all happening while a team like last years Cardinals were on pace for 100 wins, making our Deds 29 games out by the A-S break.

In case no one has noticed, Billy is hitting over .260, Meso looks like vintage Victor Martinez, and Cueto looks like Bob Gibson. Chapman is back, and unless Bruce and Votto are massively mid-diagnosed, should be back hitting fat better than they have so far. Latos ? Mum's the word, and that concerns me. There is still plenty of reasons for me to watch, although patience is suggested.