• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Giants, Melky Break off Talks

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Later on in the article, it says the Giants are kicking the tires on Lyle Overbay. There's your "something" at first base, Cal.

We talked about him earlier. He is strictly a platoon guy who fills the half we do not need. He hits righties, not lefties.

Not sure he is a fit for the G's. He also is hesitant to "try out" in Fresno first.

I don't see it happening.

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We talked about him earlier. He is strictly a platoon guy who fills the half we do not need. He hits righties, not lefties.

Not sure he is a fit for the G's. He also is hesitant to "try out" in Fresno first.

I don't see it happening.

Neither do I, just throwing it out there.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Before the trade deadline, the Giants offered Nate Schierholtz to the Yankees in an effort to land veteran Eric Chavez, according to Buster Olney of ESPN.com (via Twitter). The Giants presumably pursued Chavez prior to acquiring Marco Scutaro, who has been plugged in at third base. Chavez, 34, is hitting .269/.332..486 with ten homers on the year.

I have always had a man-crush on Chavez since his Oakland A's days. His issue was never talent, but relative health. Nate wanted out and that would have been a heckava swap had the Yanks bit.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Absolutely. That would be wonderful," said Hunter Pence to Andrew Baggarly of CSNBayArea.com when asked about signing long-term with the Giants (Twitter link). San Francisco acquired Pence yesterday.

That is a wet dream to me, especially if we can sign Melky to a contract extension. This and the fact that Sabean, for the first time in recent memory, said on two different occasions (once in reference towards the affordability of both Cain and Lincecum and again in talking about the ability to re-sign Melky AND Pence to extensions.) that the Giants have the financial flexibility and maneuverability to make moves that would cost the club an extra ten million or more.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Later on in the article, it says the Giants are kicking the tires on Lyle Overbay. There's your "something" at first base, Cal.

Note: Belt's OPS for Aug is 1.111, 8-18. For the year, he is .731. That's not bad for someone with good upside who is essentially a rookie.

SSS, but just sayin'. I know he has been streaky, but what young hitter isn't?

Unless we find a steal somewhere, I'm content with Belt. We have RHH options (Posey, Panda) if necessary.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Note: Belt's OPS for Aug is 1.111, 8-18. For the year, he is .731. That's not bad for someone with good upside who is essentially a rookie.

Unless we find a steal somewhere, I'm content with Belt. We have RHH options (Posey, Panda) if necessary.

This. Repped for simple accuracy.

SFAnthem

Brain dead Hacker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Right around the time they got herky at the deadline..suddenly Belt wasn't the most awkward looking kid in the classroom anymore.

I'm okay with the Posey, Panda, Pill options for occasional power, too

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm content with Belt at 1st, especially with Pablo coming back soon. We'll have plenty of guys in the infield getting rest and plenty of matchups for Boch to play with. The OFers, they'll be playing A LOT the next month at least until rosters expand, but they won't have much in reinforcements, Christian, and maybe Peguero and Kieschnick make their debuts but that's it.

If there was one more thing that I would wish for, Chris Perez. But it's very doubtful so we can only hope that guys settle into their roles in the Pen, hopefully Affeldt can lock-down the 9th inning, Lopez/Romo in the 8th, Casilla/Mijares in 7th, Kontos long guy and Hensley in the 6th/mop-up duty. I'd feel a lot more comfortable with a bullpen with known roles than a committee Pen.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But on the topic at hand, not surprising to see talks put off. I doubt they ever got serious anyway. Right now, they want to be focused on winning a pennant.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm content with Belt at 1st, especially with Pablo coming back soon. We'll have plenty of guys in the infield getting rest and plenty of matchups for Boch to play with. The OFers, they'll be playing A LOT the next month at least until rosters expand, but they won't have much in reinforcements, Christian, and maybe Peguero and Kieschnick make their debuts but that's it.

If there was one more thing that I would wish for, Chris Perez. But it's very doubtful so we can only hope that guys settle into their roles in the Pen, hopefully Affeldt can lock-down the 9th inning, Lopez/Romo in the 8th, Casilla/Mijares in 7th, Kontos long guy and Hensley in the 6th/mop-up duty. I'd feel a lot more comfortable with a bullpen with known roles than a committee Pen.

Bochy just said today that they are seriously considering calling Brown up in September. he said it would only be if they feel he could be useful, though. They will not call him up just for the experience.

As for Kieschnick, has he even been playing? I thought he got hurt again...

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bochy just said today that they are seriously considering calling Brown up in September. he said it would only be if they feel he could be useful, though. They will not call him up just for the experience.

As for Kieschnick, has he even been playing? I thought he got hurt again...

Only thing is for Brown is that they'd need to clear a roster spot for him. Granted, they could 60-Day DL Huff and Franchez, or even just release them. Also Hacker or Edlesfen could be DFA'd too.

That'd be interesting for Brown, though IDK how they would find a use for him unless they use him how they used Christian before all the deadline moves, which still wasn't anything much. Maybe he can pull a Posey 2009/2010 in 2012/2013... Do you think that it means they are seriously considering him for a starting job next year? If they sign Melky and Pence, they'll need to save money somewhere...

And on Kieschnick, he's been injured with a fractured left shoulder since late May but it didn't require surgery. Said he was expected to "rehab" in August and hopefully be back before the season was over. Granted, that update was a while ago.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only thing is for Brown is that they'd need to clear a roster spot for him. Granted, they could 60-Day DL Huff and Franchez, or even just release them. Also Hacker or Edlesfen could be DFA'd too.

That'd be interesting for Brown, though IDK how they would find a use for him unless they use him how they used Christian before all the deadline moves, which still wasn't anything much. Maybe he can pull a Posey 2009/2010 in 2012/2013... Do you think that it means they are seriously considering him for a starting job next year? If they sign Melky and Pence, they'll need to save money somewhere...

And on Kieschnick, he's been injured with a fractured left shoulder since late May but it didn't require surgery. Said he was expected to "rehab" in August and hopefully be back before the season was over. Granted, that update was a while ago.

I think they definitely have him penciled in as the opening day starter in '14, but I would HATE for them to go into '13 with him as the OD starter. That is a pretty key position to hand to a rookie on day 1.

Even though Boch said it, I would still be surprised to see Brown on the team this year. Let him start in Fresno next year, and call him up by May if he demands it.

As for the 40-spot, no prob. Loux, Hacker and Huff are all expendable. Franchez is already on the 60, so he is not a hurdle.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they definitely have him penciled in as the opening day starter in '14, but I would HATE for them to go into '13 with him as the OD starter. That is a pretty key position to hand to a rookie on day 1.

Even though Boch said it, I would still be surprised to see Brown on the team this year. Let him start in Fresno next year, and call him up by May if he demands it.

As for the 40-spot, no prob. Loux, Hacker and Huff are all expendable. Franchez is already on the 60, so he is not a hurdle.

Last I checked, Fred was on the 15-Day. In any case, it won't be a problem. Do you think the Giants will re-sign Pagan then? How do they fill that void in CF?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last I checked, Fred was on the 15-Day. In any case, it won't be a problem. Do you think the Giants will re-sign Pagan then? How do they fill that void in CF?

I have no idea what they will do with Pagan. I do not think he is worth the 13M protection, so I doubt they will go that route. With Pence, I am not sure they could afford him regardless.

I suspect they will sign a mid-level guy or two (think Blanco or Torres) for vet protection at CF, but give Brown every opportunity to take the job in ST. Peguero will certainly be in on that competition as well.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

OMG, you are right about Franchez. I am shocked...

ColinCoby

"Duff Man…Oh Yeah!"
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,351.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
San Francisco Giants Rumors: MLB Rumors - MLBTradeRumors.com

However, both sides have said they have interest in the other and will continue talks after the season.

Apparently, the G's floated a 3/27 to the Melky camp. I would be SHOCKED if that was all it would take...

What do you think he'll end up getting?

My fear is he thinks he deserves close to Ethier money (5 years/$85M).

Seems to me he should get close to Carlos Quentin money, but with a 4th year. Would 4 years, 38-42 million get it done?

ColinCoby

"Duff Man…Oh Yeah!"
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,351.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Free Agent Center Fielders: slim pickings

Alfredo Amezaga (35)
Rick Ankiel (33)
Michael Bourn (30)
Mike Cameron (40)
Curtis Granderson (32) - $13MM club option with a $2MM buyout
Scott Hairston (33)
Angel Pagan (31)
Corey Patterson (33)
Cody Ross (32)
Grady Sizemore (30)
Ryan Spilborghs (33)
B.J. Upton (28)
Shane Victorino (32)

SFAnthem

Brain dead Hacker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What do you think he'll end up getting?

My fear is he thinks he deserves close to Ethier money (5 years/$85M).

Seems to me he should get close to Carlos Quentin money, but with a 4th year. Would 4 years, 38-42 million get it done?

Larry Baer was on knbr the other day. He said the 3 yr/ 27 was just a starting point using quentin's deal as a negotiation starter.

Since Melky's currently making $6M per..maybe 4 years /$45 would be enough. It almost doubles his current salary